Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Two very active CMLers :       Drew Johnston   and    Jason Blake

#22 taher

taher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hello all,   Been on 800mg g since 2004... In remission thankfully ... Been trying tomget back in shape but can't. I am getting systematic tendinitis in most major joints when I push myself a little. Golfers and tennis elbow in both arms.... Shooulder pain.. Knee pain and more.... Doctors think it's the gleevec... Does anyone suffer same size effects.   Best.. Ps this site isn't iPad compatible :) can't edit well as you can read from my typos

#23 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

Another active runner on Gleevec:

Not his best time, but 'best' race for veteran runner
June 5, 2011, Sign on San Diego

#24 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hey everyone,

For folks who might be interested, my early "Gleevec sweet spot" was a surprising but wonderful 48.44 in the Peachtree Road Race 10K in Atlanta on July 4th.  At the end of March when I was diagnosed, I could barely fight through a couple of slow miles without feeling short of breath, but I cruised through the heated race (74 degrees and high/muggy humidity) with some solid milestones throughout.  My first mile was a steady and comfortable 7.24, and I just could not believe it.  I have been motivated by everyone on this board, seeing the CML testimonies from some of the big-time athletes, and by reading an amazing book called "Unbroken".

BTW, Gleevec went down the hatch with a bowl of oatmeal at 5:45am - and I started the race with my time group at 7:45am sharp.  I wanted to make sure that it was flowing into my bloodstream before the race.

I am still baffled that my body can run at this level less than 3 months into treatment and with some obvious "Gleevec anemia" based on my CBCs.  TKI treatment is truly a miracle and we are fortunate to have these therapies available in our lifetimes.  Wow.

I hope everyone had a nice 4th holiday -- I just had to share this encouraging news with other CMLers!

Dan

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#25 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Congrats on the race, Dan!!  I used to spend my summers running 10Ks in Minnesota.  I trashed my knees, so can't do it any more, but I sure did love it way back when.

Glad to hear that cml and TKIs are not interfering with what you love to do.  That's what it's all about, in my book!

Marnie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users