#41 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Regarding the need for monthly testing after cessation of TKI drugs, is there any published information as to the rate of return  of CML when PCRU is lost?  Although it would always be preferable to catch the loss of PCRU as soon as possible after cessation, dictated monthly testing appears to mostly be done in support of trial stats.  Not to deter science, but in my particular case, if I do manage to reach cessation, I am not planning on reverting to monthly testing, believing that from what I know now, that if I lose PCRU, the return of CML will be gradual enough to be treated with a relatively low TKI dosage, even with 3 month testing.  Of course, if PCRU is lost, there would be the confirming one month test, prior to restarting any TKI dosage.  My Onc will have her say ... but first I have to reach my point of cessation which is July 4, 2016 ... you know, as was once said by somebody ... the best laid plans of mice and men ... 

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#42 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:32 PM

You would not need to test monthly permanently.  If you remain PCRu, I would assume you could revert to quarterly testing after a certain length of time.

#43 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

Dr Hughes who conducts the Australian trials commented that the CML returns at a fast rate during that first six months, which is why the preference is for monthly testing in the beginning. I've asked my doc about the speed of return once you are past that time and he commented that it returns to the chronic phase. This was also backed up by one of the docs on the French trials. I'm hoping to eventually move to quarterly testing, but as I mentioned earlier my doc still likes it to be done every two months.   

#44 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:56 AM

Both times I have stopped (pregnancy related) the CML has returned fast. The first time it was realistically always coming back as I had just reached pcru. The second time I had been pcru or <= 0.004 for 2 years and in 6 weeks it went from pcru to 0.12. We decided to test at 6 wk intervals until I became detectable (now every 3 weeks to see how the interferon is going) but in pregnancy the urgency to catch the relapse early isn't really there as you can't just restart your tki.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#45 story

story

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Just an update- month 5 and still undetectable for BCR-ABL. Very hopeful. A word to those considering cessation, talk to your doc about a dose reduction if possible before cessation. I have what i believe is TKI withdrawal syndrome. My shoulders, elbows and hands are very sore and stiff, almost unusable in the morning. Worth the price of admission but definately a pain in the ass.

#46 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Just an update- month 5 and still undetectable for BCR-ABL. Very hopeful. A word to those considering cessation, talk to your doc about a dose reduction if possible before cessation. I have what i believe is TKI withdrawal syndrome. My shoulders, elbows and hands are very sore and stiff, almost unusable in the morning. Worth the price of admission but definately a pain in the ass.

Interesting - I had that develop as well - mostly in the hands. I didn't' think it was TKI withdrawal related (even had an RA test taken which came back negative). My primary doctor told me to eat more protein and it faded pretty quickly after that. Not sure why that should be the case - I thought it would be the opposite. I went back to my regular diet once the joint stiffness disappeared. Very strange though.

http://eatwellenjoyl...ld-this-be-you/

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#47 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

SNIP

A word to those considering cessation, talk to your doc about a dose reduction if possible before cessation. I have what i believe is TKI withdrawal syndrome. My shoulders, elbows and hands are very sore and stiff, almost unusable in the morning. Worth the price of admission but definately a pain in the ass.

I've been in the process of lowering my original Gleevec 400mg dosage since December, 2015 300mg, down 50mg with every quarterly test since.

Trey had mentioned more than a few times that Gleevec does work to alleviate arthritic/joint pain.  

I have a fairly severe case of arthritis in my neck and back, as a result of a neck injury in my youth.  I can confirm the renewed arthritis, soreness, and stiffness, which is indeed worsening as I lower the dosage.  Gradually, as far as pain is concerned, isn't necessarily better.  Even now I am considering taking a Naproxen Sodium to alleviate the ache and it's still early in the game.

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#48 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

Buzz is accurate in his comments about arthritis and TKI drugs.  But I think a somewhat different mechanism occurs for those simply withdrawing from the TKI drugs than for those like Buzz with actual arthritis.  The TKI withdrawal reverse side effects is mainly due to the muscle/ligament/tendon cells becoming drug dependant just like an addict.  After that is withdrawn there is a withdrawal phase.  It does not matter that the TKI drug did not make the muscle/tendon/ligament "feel good', they simply adapted to the presence of the TKI drug.  Drug addicts do not simply crave drugs because they make them feel good, they crave them at a cellular level, also.  The body becomes dependant.  So also after the TKI drug is withdrawn the cells look for the drug and it is not there.  So a reverse adaptation is then required as the cells send out TKI craving signals. 

#49 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

Buzz is accurate in his comments about arthritis and TKI drugs.  But I think a somewhat different mechanism occurs for those simply withdrawing from the TKI drugs than for those like Buzz with actual arthritis.  The TKI withdrawal reverse side effects is mainly due to the muscle/ligament/tendon cells becoming drug dependant just like an addict.  After that is withdrawn there is a withdrawal phase.  It does not matter that the TKI drug did not make the muscle/tendon/ligament "feel good', they simply adapted to the presence of the TKI drug.  Drug addicts do not simply crave drugs because they make them feel good, they crave them at a cellular level, also.  The body becomes dependant.  So also after the TKI drug is withdrawn the cells look for the drug and it is not there.  So a reverse adaptation is then required as the cells send out TKI craving signals. 

Nah ... it's not drug dependency like an addict. It's an electrolyte imbalance that has to sort itself out. Fortunately it does sort out:

http://www.ascopost.....aspx?nid=17458

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#50 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:35 AM

Good luck to all those pioneers in the US.  There are no such trials here but it is very encouraging to see even reductions in meds can be a possibility.  Dosages are very standard here at the moment and not much flexibility.

Alex

#51 AllTheseYears

AllTheseYears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

Good news, all of you in the cessation trials and off TKIs otherwise. I continue into month four toward my goal of TFR (Treatment Free Remission); not in a trail but under hem/onc supervision.  I've been hit hard with muscle, bone and joint pain - almost disabled.  However, I do think my brain is working better; I'm convinced that my eye sight and hearing have improved.  

I look forward to continually hearing from others going for TFR.  Best of luck to you. 

#52 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

"First, Brains, and THEN hard work!" --- Eeyore.  Your body is getting its priorities straight, that's all.  So happy to hear of these successful weeks reeling off!

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#53 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

Does anyone know how long this TKI withdrawal pain, HAs, etc. last?  I'm having some of the worst pain I've ever had since stopping nilotinib and I thought the initial joint pain was bad when I started the drug.

#54 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

Wondering that myself.  I am six months into a bye-bye TKI trial.  During the first month or so I felt fifteen years younger, with virtually no aches or pains.  I had plenty of them during the years I took Sprycel.  For the last couple months I have had pains in old pain locations and new ones and the pain has been really bad.  Overall I am still very grateful to be off the tki though.  I'll be seeing my doc next week and will get his thoughts on the matter.

Mike

#55 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

Wondering that myself.  I am six months into a bye-bye TKI trial.  During the first month or so I felt fifteen years younger, with virtually no aches or pains.  I had plenty of them during the years I took Sprycel.  For the last couple months I have had pains in old pain locations and new ones and the pain has been really bad.  Overall I am still very grateful to be off the tki though.  I'll be seeing my doc next week and will get his thoughts on the matter.

Mike

I felt pretty good the first week or so off of the TKI too.  I got a few nights of wonderful sleep... then, the pain set in which awakens me at night.

#56 AllTheseYears

AllTheseYears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

Seems like those of us going for TFR are testimony to the old adage: There is no free lunch!  Pain seems to be common as we go through TKI cessation.  There are times I'm miserable.  Still, I'm happy with my decision to go off Gleevec under doc supervision.  FYI: I had no Gleevec reduction before cessation; went "cold turkey" in September. Also, hem/onc did not warn me of withdrawal symptoms, which at times make me miserable - day and night. Doc is happy to see me only quarterly, if all goes well. Visit set for January. I wonder if I'm being properly supervised. 

In another matter:  I've read that most TKIs will remain in a high insurance tier, even after going generic (mostly this applies to Gleevec.)  The financial burden likely will remain.  Hope I can avoid it. 

#57 AllTheseYears

AllTheseYears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

JJG:  My thoughts are with you as you try to begin/expand your family.  You are brave. 

#58 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

I've been TFR for 2 1/2 years now, but Gleevec still seems to haunt me.
Prior to diagnosis I was on a statin for cholesterol. After taking Gleevec my cholesterol levels dropped into the low area, so I came off the statin. After stopping Gleevec, I found I had to return to taking a BP med and a cholesterol med. BP med is fine, but the cholesterol meds are causing me issues. I've tried a couple of the statins and each one has given me muscle pain in the legs, which is apparently where this issue starts. So after stopping and starting these I've moved onto one of the other cholesterol drugs which isn't a statin.
Ezetimibe is supposed to cause less issues, but I seem to be getting leg cramps from it, the one I had the other night was far worse than anything Gleevec threw at me.

I have to wonder that even though I've been off Gleevec a while, whether it somehow changes the chemical makeup of our bodies, I can't think of any other reason why I could take statin prior to Gleevec and now can't. I've had two tries of the Ezetimibe and both times I have wound up with leg cramps. I've wondering if I do the Gleevec trick and split the dosage morning and night to see if that lessens the side effects.

Other than the cholesterol med, I don't seem to be experiencing the muscle and joint issues that a number of others who are TFR are experiencing.

#59 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Gerry, I was on statins for years with no problems. Then suddenly, the muscle aches were so severe that I couldn't get from the bedroom to the bathroom. I had to keep a walker by the bed, and I used a stool in the shower. The GP put me on something that does not cause this type of muscle pain.

But the important point is that all this happened BEFORE I was put on gleevec. It just happens. Might not be related to the tki at all.

Diagnosed in February 2014. Started Imatinib 400 in April.
2014:     3.18     0.91
2015:     0.22     0.16     0.04     0.55
2016:     0.71     0.66

(Started Imatinib 600 in April 2016)
2016:     0.42     0.13     0.45
2017:     0.17     0.06     0.10     0.06     0.34

#60 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Dom - guess the TKIs are always the easy thing to blame. lol

I'm having a go at splitting the dose of the Ezetimibe, I'm just looking to try to scrape in under the required level of the "good zone" for cholesterol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users