#1 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

East Hanover, NJ, May 14, 2014 -- Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation has settled its litigation with a subsidiary of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. relating to Novartis patents covering the use of certain polymorphic forms of Gleevec®(imatinib mesylate), which expire in 2019 (including pediatric exclusivity). The basic compound patent for Gleevec expires in the U.S. on July 4, 2015.

As a result of the settlement, Novartis will permit Sun Pharma's subsidiary to market a generic version of Gleevec in the United States on February 1, 2016. The terms of the settlement agreement are otherwise confidential. Sun Pharma's subsidiary has received tentative approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its generic version of imatinib mesylate.

www.novartis.com...patent-litigation-gleevec-imatinib-mesylate-sun-pharma

PS> had my annual appointment my CML doctor this past week ... she asked if I had any interest in attempting to stop taking Gleevec (on Gleevec for 4 and 1/2 years)... thought she was going to suggest my taking one of the newer drugs, but it turns out that UCSF is conducting a study on the viability of patients, who have been pcru for a prolonged period, stopping oral chemo.

I don't have that many more years ahead of me and would hate to do anything that might upset the apple cart in the interim, so I said no.  

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR PCR result pending... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

The background to this is Sun Pharma, a company located in India, has been violating the Novartis Gleevec patent for several years (with help from the Indian government).  Novartis had fought them for years, but finally settled the lawsuits in exchange for some generic rights in the US.  I assume there will be others who also enter the generic Gleevec market.

#3 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Oh how I hope there is a new administration in place by the time the patents on other TKI's come up for renewal and pray that they have less connections to the big drug companies and more with the people that need the drugs to survive and not keep extending their patents.

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#4 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

Are u going to do the stop trial ?

#5 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

Oh how I hope there is a new administration in place by the time the patents on other TKI's come up for renewal and pray that they have less connections to the big drug companies and more with the people that need the drugs to survive and not keep extending their patents.

vwoyak ... I hear you

Are u going to do the stop trial ?

Jerry.s, I haven't seen any  information regarding anyone successfully stopping Gleevec.  I'm in Catch-22 situation, between having to take Gleevec for the rest of my life, and not being willing, at this time, to switch over to a newer drug, i.e.Sprycel, and go through a new side-effects experience, but a drug with a higher probability of successfully stopping.

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR PCR result pending... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#6 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

Let me ask the forum if anyone has been successful on gleevec stop study. I am interested in doing one when the time comes but my oc didn't like the idea

#7 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

They're all connected to the big drug companies... sadly.

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%