5 replies to this topic

#1 jcoon

jcoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hi all,

it has been a while since ive been on this site. short summary, was diagnosed in 2011 at age 26. been on sprycel ever since and it got me to MMR, last PCR 0.00.  I took a short break from sprycel to get pregnant about a year ago (went on interferon during that time, pregnancy was a success, now have healthy baby boy.  if anyone wants more info about that please ask). 

anyways, I have gone back on sprycel about 9 months ago.  I feel like after all this time my body would be adjusted but lately I have been feeling symptoms that Im guessing are from spyrcel side effects?  they include sore/ warm knee joints, fatigue, mild hair loss, sometimes feeling feverish/dizzy/nauseous.  maybe its all from lack of sleep due to being a new mom ;)

Id like to know if these are common side effects and if anyone has experience with the side effects coming and going even after years of sprycel?  I would feel better knowing they are from the meds, and not symptoms of another disease (being a cancer survivor has turned me into somewhat of a hypochondriac).

please share your most common side effects, thanks

#2 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Congratulations!  As to your question concerning Sprycel, I believe the side effects come and go and they are random for timing and severity.  I could never find a correlation to taking Sprycel and my side effects.  After the first few weeks I could go quite a while and experience next to nothing and other times I would go weeks with quite a few of the side effects.  A few that seemed to be consistent are the flushing and rashes, everything else seemed to be hit and miss. 

Best of luck and another Congrats!

Pam

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

JC,

The drug break resets your adjustment to Sprycel so it is like you have only been taking it for 9 months.  As such the side effects you describe would be consistent with being on the drug for that period of time.

#4 Credmiston

Credmiston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

I have been on Sprycel (mostly) since 2010.  I have so many side effects that come and go, aches, pains, muscle twitching, rashes (OMG the rashes), hair loss was big the first 6 months, nightmares, insomnia (could be I am afraid I am going to have nightmares), memory loss, confusion, loss of patience (well, that could be that I just don't give a crap about other people's drama anymore), and the list goes on..........oh, did I forget sores on my tongue?  How could I do that?  Those suck.  Although I think I am seeing a correlation between the tongue issues and the amount of sugar I consume.  I hardly ever eat candy, but if I do, they pop up in droves and make the tip of my tongue very sore.  Sigh.  Also, husband and I have noticed a bit of OCD like behavior, or more just obsessive thoughts while on this lovely drug.  I really don't like those, but can't find a work around for them.  Ah well.  

How's that?

Caroline

#5 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi all!

this is my first post in a very long time (years).  Dxd in 2007, been on Sprycel since 2010, I think, who can remember?  ;) Anyway, mostly what Caroline said, same here.  I also have had my dosage altered several times and after each adjustment it was like totally starting over but soon my body adjusted and things settled down to the old "cycling" pattern.

hope this helps,

Vicki

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#6 LAC1223

LAC1223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hi All, I was diagnosed 2011 and have been on 100mg of Sprycel ever since....I am going to say ditto to Caroline and Vicki's post. Rash just started today though - joy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sprycel, side effects, cml, pregnancy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users