Photo

PCR Pending/ Results are in so please help me!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi there,

I had my blood drawn on June 24th and that was Thursday,

its about 11 days now with no results yet, when I called them today the nurse

told me its still pending. She also said that they send it first to the Sonora Quest Labs and then they forward it to some other Lab,

I know that there was a long weekend because Monday was a Memorial day,

so I was just wondering if I made a mistake in doing my blood work for PCR test just before the holiday and so close

to the end of the week.

Thanks guys,

Dina

#2 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Wow, June 24th?  It sure is taking a long time for your results to come back!  Just kidding.  I am sure your meant May 24th.  Anyway, I am sure the holiday weekend didn't help speed up matters, but there was probably someone in the lab.  It may have just taken some time to get the report to your onc.  I usually have to wait 3-4 weeks for mine.  It seems to come back fairly soon, but my onc needs the time to read it and then release it.  So, it appears that this long wait is not abnormal.  It always seems like an eternity to me.

Hope the result is awesome,

Teds

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

It should have been OK, but that "forwarding" thingy is not good.  I would ask them to assume it is toast and re-do without waiting for the result. 

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I always do my bloodwork early in the day, early in the week.  My results typically took 2 weeks to come through. . .though my new doc is now sending it to a local lab, and the last one was done very quickly.  Having blood drawn near the end of the week with a holiday coming up would make me a little nervous about the validity of the results. . .hopefully you'll be able to find out if they got right on it, or if the sample sat around for awhile.

Marnie

#5 Floa7

Floa7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationindiana

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Isn't this fun.... lol I went in May 25th for my first 3 month check while on G, and was told they can't do my PCR on Fridays, because it is being shipped to NJ. I live in Indiana. So i went back in the following Tues after Memorial day. I will have to wait till June 29th for my appt with the dr. My son gets his first PCR on June 11 and sees his doc on June 18th. I will go with him, prime me for what my doc has to say.

I asked the doc about why to NJ. My first one went to IU in Indy. She said they have a contract with them in NJ.

So I am going to wait it out.

Flo

1 2012 CML detected Started Gleevec 400 mg

In nov 2014 my pcr started to rise by Feb I stopped Gleevec and went onto

2 2015 Tasigna 600 mg/day

I have been PCRU for 2 years and stopped Tasigna 4 7 2017

5 8 2017 results 0.008

5 30 2017 results 0.028 

6 30 2017 results 0.3, I have restarted the Tasigna because it went above 0.1 

My son

11 2011 CML detected Started Gleevec 400 mg

He went 2 1/2 years on gleevec and lost PCRU

Started Sprycel went PCRU for 2 years and stopped the Sprycel, went back for 3 month checkup and PCR was 8.0

He went back onto Sprycel and now is PCRU again

3 16 2017 results 0.008

6 1 2017 results 0.002

#6 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

I feel for you.  My blood travels all the way to NJ as well--to LabCorp.  My onc is through the University of Chicago system and I know they have their own lab that has a PCR (or a few).  It could easily be done in town.  Same contract thingy.  Crazy.  Talk about a carbon footprint and not buying locally. 

All the best,

Teds

#7 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

My local Oncologist draws the blood and sends it to the local hospital Lab a few blocks away. At my request, they use  The Mayo Clinic Lab in Rochester and overnight it. They do NOT use their usual referral Lab. The results are faxed back in no more than 72 hrs.to the hospital Lab and they immediately Fax it to my Oncologist.

If one is on-site at The Mayo Clinic, the results are available in 24 hrs. Frank

#8 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi Floa,

I live in Greenwood Indiana and my previous onc would ship my blood vials to New Jersey, also.  I have been on gleevec since 2005.  Everybody was so happy with my FISH and PCR and all labs then last year all of a sudden labs PCR, were going up and up, then finally were at nearly 48% positive.  Prev Onc had been pressuring me to switch to Tasigna, I did not want to because of grief with my insurance cutting back from 90 day supply to monthly shipment and sending me letters the last two Decembers that the our insurance was not doing well with the world economy. When I called the insurance they said the Gleevec was approved as of today, but could be changed any day any time. So I wanted to stay on Gleevec because it goes Generic in 2015, which would make it affordable should the insurance crutch or crises arise.  As far as Novaritis co-pay assistance, when I filled out the papers we were only allowed about $100.00 to $200.00 a year or something like that I don't remember. Then I got a letter from Novartis no more co-pays assistance to anyone on Gleevec only Tasigna, thus the big push to Tasigna a newer patent drug. 

Anyhow back to the lab in New Jersey I was so concerned that I took it upon myself to call the lab in New Jersey and they had changed over to the IS scale.  Also my previous oncologist did another Fish and PCR only 1 week after the pcr came back I think it was 48%, well the next one, (blood take a week later) came back down to only 12%  I truly believe that nothing had changed regarding my leukemia only the way the labs was reporting and I also believe they made a few errors along the way. Also the previous oncologist kept mentioning that the PCR are very unreliable in that they are magnified over and over and over.  So why would anyone in their right mind, sorry, want to change drugs based on unreliable PCR that have quote oncologist much room for error!! 

Anyhow I asked the previous onc if she could send me, to anywhere in Indiana, that I could personally go to, for my lab drawls and interpretation and she said no. 

Well I came to find out that Indiana University Simon Cancer Center does their own labs and interpretation, turns out what she should have said was she had no contract or rights there, then again perhaps she didn't know I.U. did their own labs.  I have only had 1 lab at I.U. which was last March and I will have another one this Thursday.  So I am hoping to do 3 labs 3 months a part and get a base line with the new lab.  My Labs Mar 19th 2012, were FISH 1.5 % positive and PCR 7 % positive.  No other mutations were found, only the BCR/ABL, 9/22.  Hoping my labs on Thursday will be better as I have been taking Curcumin.  Hoping they will stay in this range or lower.  My CBC are nice and a few just a little under normal.  I know onc say you can have low counts and that is Ok.  But in my gut I don't believe that.  Like red blood cells carry oxygen to the organs, like the heart, and kidneys, etc.  What about the liver that has filter all those med's. Who want to have platelet transfusion and all the other stuff that goes with low counts. The flip side of that would be what is the risk of having detectible FISH AND PCR.  Well for me if I stay in a low range I am happy with that, because you can be PCRU and still have a million leukemia cells, so what is the big deal, to stay with the world guidelines, everyone is different.  For me I am older in my sixties and can not take the high doses of med's and I don't like being sick or feeling yucky all the time, and what are the long term side effecs of these drugs.  I am just saying why not a lower dose, and feel better and have more normal CBC counts.

I guess I am the odd man out regarding this point of view.  I suppose other and perhaps the onc wonders why I don't get it. Sometimes I think it more about keeping on higher doses and new patents for the Big Pharma money, but that is only my opinion.  Most people probably don't see it that way, so I guess maybe I am missing something.  For me it is not the longevity of life but the quality of life, but them I am at the late season of my life.  If I were a younger person and in good health and a good donor match, I would definitely go with the transplant because that is the only, chance of a cure.  I guess most don't feel that way on this board.  But I think there are some folks on floating around on this board from other countries, that think transplant is worth it.  So maybe it is how we are programed by our doctors and the reports they put out and the country you live in.  I would think they would be putting more research money in the cure which is a transplant.  I think I read an article somewhere they were talking about doing more research to make transplant safer, with all the money from these drugs they should have something to keep them going in that direction. I mean the bone marrow is broken and who knows how skewered up it is. Isn't that what they do with heart and kidney that cna't be fixed,  transplant.  They can't fix it with these pills. Hate taking these pills!!  Yep about 15 years younger i wouldn't be looking for a transplant doctor.

I noticed I have a similar posting on another thread.  Sorry, I must have been tired and really venting.   Really upset my present Onc only faxed in a script for gleevec for 1 month and only a 1 month refill.

Was hoping to go back to school this Sept but unless He keeps me where I am or I find another doc who will, I don't see starting school on a new drug.  The drugs not you down a few notches.  Gleevec was no picnic to start with, but we have certainly mellowed out, and I more then happy with a FISH at 1.5 % positive and close to normal CBC counts.  Who says you live longer with lower BCR/ABL counts that are PCRU.  It is only in theory.  I think it is more about keeping every one on high dose for the Big Pharma, then living longer. Just my 2 cents.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

PamSouth,

To my way of thinking you already have your baseline, it's your March test results. Any test from here on out will begin to show a trend. If this next test shows an increase I would not wait another 3 months to be tested again. This disease doesn't really care what drug you prefer to be on. If this test on Thurs. shows an increase, then G just may not be working for you any longer and you should switch and stop worrying about side effects that may never happen.

Just my two cents. Good luck on Thurs.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#10 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Pam,

If you have been on Gleevec 7 years and still have a positive FISH and PCR is not MMR, then you should consult with your doctor what options are best for you.  It is possible to keep plugging along the way you have been, but the truth is you are not where you should be based on the consensus by all the top doctors in the field.

I understand the aversion to changing something that works, but with those test results, it could be argued that Gleevec isn't really working.  I can appreciate where you are with the insurance issue, but consider this, your insurance is paying a lot for Gleevec and it is not optimal, so in some ways that is a waste.  Furthermore, much of your decision is based on hypotheticals and what-ifs.  For instance, I believe you said your insurance would cover Tasigna today.  I know they have told you they may pull coverage at any time and they send you letters every year complaining that the costs are going up, but the reality is you worked for many years and payed into the system with the expectation they would cover you when you needed it.  You are entitled to the coverage, so if they want to wine and moan about it, so be it, you did your part now let them do theirs.  I assure you, your prescriptions are not going to be what brings them down.  If they go down they will go down with or without you.  You also have focused a lot on potential side effects of other drugs like low counts.  In reality you do not know what the impact will be on you until you try it.  Keep in mind nothing says you can't go back to Gleevec, so the risk of trying a new drug, other than being a major pain in the butt, is really not very high.  The choice is of course yours but you have to consider that on another drug you could respond better and not feel any different than you do on Gleevec.  Down the road if Gleevec goes generic and you want to switch back, you can make that decision, but it seems prudent to do what is best for you today and not make decision on what your expectation of the future might be.  Anyway that is my opinion/advice.  Of course it is always up to you.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#11 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi guys,

Trey if you can please help me understand the results that just came in.

Before I write them down I just want to say that this is my third PCR Test since dx and

this time they sent it to another lab, why I have no idea and they look different.

This is what I had at the time of dx done at Banner Medical Center:

BCR/ABL t(9;22) fusion 20.443

BCR/ABL: ABL Ratio-0.695

Then my two tests were done at Quest Nichols Institute:

PCR Test at 3 months: 0.006

PCR Test at 5 months:0.006

And finaly my third and latest was done at Miraca Life Science Lab

PCR Test at 8 months are as follows: BCR/ABL Major----Detected

BCR/ABL Minor-----Not Detected

BCR/ABL1, Major(p210) Quant Ratio-0.00596

BCR/ABL1 International Scale(Percent) -0.4865%

I'm taking 600 mg Tasigna.

Thanks!!!!

#12 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Pam, Pam, Pam, what are we going to do with you? As Lucky said you don't know what the impact of another drug will be until you try it. I couldn't take Gleevec or Tasigna because of the side effects but have found Sprycel 50mg much easier to tolerate. If you continue to take Gleevec, if it is not working for you, if your onc. wants you to switch meds and you don't I'm afraid the problems you may run in to will be far more severe than the initial problems you may or may not have while switching to a new med. I hope you will think about it carefully and with an open mind. You don't want to  look back on this in one year from now and wish you had made the switch. If you do decide to switch know that we are all here for you and will help you through it. Please let us know what your latest results are when you get them. You know I'm always wishing you the best.

Hugs,

Judy Judy Judy (As Billie calls me)

#13 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Dina,

Your PCR at diagnosis was .695 ratio which is 69.5%

The next two were .006 (I assume ratios) so .6%

The current PCR is .00596 ratio which is .596% and essentially the same as the previous two test results, although from different labs so not directly comparable.  But this time you have the International Scale conversion which is .4865%.  So you are better than Complete Cytogenetic Response (CCyR) and relatively close to a 3 log reduction (Major Molecular Response) which is set at .1% International Scale.

That is very good for 8 months post diagnosis.  The results among different labs are not directly comparable, so it may not actually be a plateau, but either way you should be happy to be that far along in a short time.  Relax and enjoy life.

#14 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

Judy, Judy, Judy,

Bless your heart, you are a good soul.  Thanks for caring.  I notice  you are on 50mg I believe that is 1/2 the standard dose.  You know how these onc are, they are going to start you on standard dose hit you hard take you down, an oh what a wild ride, that I don't care to be on.  Then to recover dear God I hate to even think of going thru that. 

Life is as grand as it is going to get the way it is.  Getting ready to check out a college, starting perhaps in September, I can't have any down time, right now.

Now I spend to much time stressing.  I really really truly think a CCyR Fish at 1.5 is good.  CBC looking good. No Rash, no PE, no transfusions.  Just aches and pains with the bones and moving a little slow.  You know 64 years old it's just to hard to rebound.  My Gl script ran out new onc only faxed in one 30 day and one refill, what do you suppose that is all about.  Got me feather up!  Going to plan B, I think.  Come Jan 1 I will be 65 Medicare age, won't have to play game with Blue Cross. Can go to as many doctors as I want anytime and place. So I will probably be looking for anther onc.  We will see!!

I think at CCyR I will live just as long as the other who are MMR or whatever. 

Take Care, glad to hear you got your Sprycel down to 50mg and feeling better.  How are the kidneys doing?

PamSouth

PamSouth

#15 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Its interesting that three PCR tests in a row would show the same numbers and at the two different labs,

on the very first test I had that big drop so we all kinda hoped for some more drops in the tests ahead,

but just like you said Trey either way I should be happy.

Thanks for your help and we are so lucky to have you here.

Dina!!!!

#16 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi Tedsey,

I know that you were just kidding

Waiting for the PCR Results can be so agonizing that I can't think and function normaly,

the witing period is the worst for me,

and not only that I do typing mistakes I bump into the things all over the house lol

Anyway I've received the results and have posted them already.

Take Care!!!!

#17 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Congratulations Dina

#18 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Teddy,

A bottle of cold Carlsberg or even Tuborg now would be nice

#19 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Indeed!

You have earned it

Skål!

#20 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hi Pam,

Please keep us informed of your test results, I worry about you.

In regards to my Sprycel, I started at 50mg, I never started on the full dose due to other health issues I have. I am just hoping my PCR continues to decline because if it doesn't I will have to raise the dose or switch to Ponatinub which is now available on compassionate care. My kidneys have seemed to stabilize at a GFR of 28 which is a 1.9 creatinine. It could be a lot worse so I won't complain about that number. I'm hoping this summer is uneventful, that I can relax and not worry so much about test results.

Anyway, Pam, I'm so glad that you are thinking of starting school this fall but please don't neglect your health or you will have to answer to your friends on the board and we will bug the hell out of  you (can I say that without getting hijacked?)

Hugs,

Judy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users