#1 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yesterday I went for my quarterly check up and I had a conversation with the phlebotomist at the hospital while she was drawing my blood.  I've come to know her a bit since she usually draws my blood.  She's a bit tough, has that "suck it up" attitude.  She's always been nice but I get how it is in a major cancer center where they see so many sick people and many of them don't come back for long and here I am almost two years out walking in without a mask or anything like that, so I get it.  Anyway she's a bit callous and my wife always says I should bring her a job application from the DMV and tell her "in case things don't work out for you here". lol

So anyway we're talking for a few minutes and she starts telling me about this movie she saw over the weekend with her husband about a young football player who was this great athlete in college and was on his way to the NFL or something and in the movie he started having nose bleeds and she said she told her husband "i bet you he has leukemia"  she said her husband told her she was crazy and thinks everyone has leukemia because of where she works.  She then told me in the movie the guy goes for a physical and is diagnosed with leukemia.  Then she says "I told him, I knew he had leukemia and I was right - he was 23 years old and then he died"!

I was like WTF? Are you serious?  Are you really telling a leukemia patient that you saw a movie about someone with leukemia who died?  I mean I live in reality, I know how serious this is, but really?  While I'm getting my blood drawn on my way to see the oncologist you tell me this uplifting story about a young man with leukemia who dies!  Fortunately I have a pretty good sense of humor about things and I actually found the situation more humorous than offensive.  Of course I have the luxury of doing pretty well so far and it doesn't appear I'm looking at dying anytime in the near future, so I guess it is easier for me to take it in and perhaps in a way she knows this and that is why she felt it was ok to say it to me.  I shutter to think if the woman with AML who was sitting down after me had to hear the same story.

So it got me thinking of all the things people say that they shouldn't.  I thought I would start putting together some guidelines - hopefully some of you will chime in and add to my list.

1) Do not tell people with leukemia about someone you know of who had leukemia and died.  This goes for first hand knowledge, something from a movie or the paper and especially not a cousin of a friend who knew a guy....

2) Do not tell people with leukemia "they can cure that now".  Again a sister-in-law's second cousin's co-worker is not a good reference.

3) Don't tell people with leukemia "but you don't look sick".  As much as it's nice to know that we don't look as bad on the outside as we may feel on the inside, it kind of minimizes what we are going through.

3a) If the person with leukemia does look sick, you probably shouldn't tell them that either.

4) Don't tell people with leukemia (this one goes for CML) "you're lucky, there's a pill for that".  Unless you are taking the pill, shush...

5) Don't tell people with leukemia "you just need to stay positive".  The only response to this statement should be "I am positive I have leukemia".

6) Don't tell people with leukemia they should start taking vitamins, herbs, coffee enemas, eating organic foods etc.  We know eating healthy is important but we also know there are a lot of things we can't take.  No vitamin is going to cure leukemia and the implication, whether you meant it or not, is that if we had done these things to begin with, we wouldn't have gotten leukemia in the first place.

7) Don't tell people with leukemia to "suck it up".  If you do, expect to get a modified response of "you suck it".

8) Don't tell people with leukemia "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger".  I should be able to lift a car over my head at this point, the fact is I am getting weaker, so please spare me the cliche'.

9) Don't tell people with leukemia "it is what it is".  Thanks for the deep philosophical thoughts, I know you think you're being deep, but you're just being dismissive.

10) Don't tell people with leukemia (this one is for CML) "so it's pretty much like diabetes, you just take your medicine and you're fine".  Wow, you managed to marginalize not just one but two very serious diseases.

11) Don't tell people with leukemia "it could be worse".  Once again aside from being incredibly dismissive, it makes us think about what could be coming around the corner.

12) Don't tell people with leukemia "we all have to die sometime".  Really?  Tell you what, you go first and let me know how it goes.

I know there are many more out there, but I'm done for now, please feel free to add on your favorites.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#2 lthouse612

lthouse612

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Lucky, thats awesome!  I love your list of responses and couldn't help but find some humor in the responses we can give back after being told things such as "you just need to be positive".... Or the whole "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"... We should all be super human by now!  Anyway I have come to realize that some people just really don't get it and I really believe they are "wired" wrong from the get go.  Common sense and common courtesy sure goes a long way... I just wished more people out there had it and knew how to be more compassionate when it comes to opening their mouth.  I'll have to take some time later to add a few on!  In the meantime... take care and have a good day!

#3 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

That was great!!! I have one more. Don't tell someone who has Leukemia that the United States doesn't cure cancer because they want to control the population. 

Someone said this to me at the elevator right after they told me to eat baking soda to cure my Leukemia. I have never wanted to slap a person more. The kicker is, I hardly even know the person.

#4 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Awesome post Lucky, and although the humorous innuendos are there, the seriousness of your post is also.  People are so callous, I have heard many of these comments myself, and the others people I have been talking with who have CML or other leukemia's have heard the others (and more) I am positive.  When in doubt, people should take the low road and talk about the weather.  These comments you listed remind me of one my dad told my brothers long ago. 'Do not ever ask a woman when she is due, there is a chance she is not pregnant.'  If you decided to take this route, be prepared to have the wrath of the devil bestowed upon you as soon as your mouth closes from your statement.  I personally love the 'How are you doing, I mean, you don't look that bad so you must be doing ok.'  People and his/her mouth run amok and when this happens I would just like to run the other way.  Well either that or ask them why they look like crap and they don't have leukemia.  Thanks for the post, enjoyed by me and a host of others I bet as the days go on.

Pam

#5 susantheresa

susantheresa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi Thanks for the laughs. I have always kept this one in the back of my mind and year's later I can laugh about it.

I was about to have a pick line put in because they were treating me for AML and I was getting ready to start 30 straight days of chemo(I really had CML) but thats another story. I am on the table lying down, the RADIOLOGIST who is putting my pick line in says"if you're going to have cancer, Leukemia is a good one to have.  I looked at him and asked if he graduated from SEARS CHARM SCHOOL...

The second one was months after my transplant I was in the grocery store and an aquaintance I knew came up to me and told me how good I looked for someone who has cancer. I laugh about it now, but I just wanted to sock him in the face. Felt like pulling up my shirt and flashing him and exposing this foot long hickman port.

Thanks again and maybe we should send these list to DAVID LETTERMAN'S TOP 10.  SUSAN M

#6 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Too funny!

I think some of the awkward comments come from people feeling like they they should say "something", but they don't know what to say.  My favorite response came from a neighbor in the course of a neighborly conversation in which I revealed that I had CML.  He paused for a moment, got real serious, and then said, "Mike, I hate to break this to you, but none of us are getting out of this thing (life) alive."  It may seem odd, but I truly appreciated that perspective.  He then shared that he had colon cancer.  I think I'd rather have CML.

#7 BY196

BY196

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Don't tell me about your "friend who has REAL leukemia" (AML, I assume). Sheesh.

Beth

#8 lala

lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

LOVE THIS LIST!!!! 

I also love being told it is YOUR turn to host the holidays!!!!!  No it is not!!!  Not anymore!  :)

~Lala

#9 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I love everyone' replies, but I have to admit, stating the TKI's just piss the cancer cells off' may be my new favorite!  Thanks, I have had several chuckles today, and 95% of them were because of this post. 

#10 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thank you Lucky, I needed a good chuckle today.  I had a meeting with my managers this afternoon and I won't go into everything that was said, but I left the meeting with the impression that 1year is a magical number and I should be able to function as well as I did pre-diagnosis.  They would also like for me to start studying for a test for my job, I didn't bother to tell them that my brain is so foggy I can't remember what I did yesterday most of the time.  So passing some silly test is probably not going to happen.  And making the 45 minute drive home was no picnic.  My right arm was hurting, so I had to steer with my left hand.  Good thing my left hand didn't cramp up!  I know I look normal, but I sure don't feel that way.

#11 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Your post reminds me of what I have said about my son.  He looks 'normal' (what is that anyway, never really understood that word) but he is not.  Throughout the years, in battles with the school, his father, and even his step-father I have used that analogy.  My son looks normal, but he has autism, if he were in a wheelchair, he would receive special consideration just because would be a visual, even if it had nothing to do with his disorder.  Our diagnosis is much like this, we may look healthy on the outside, and some do better than others, but just because we do not have visual effects does not mean we are not affected or compromised with the leukemia.  I am glad you made it home ok, and I am sorry the uninformed at your work expect you to be the same you were a year ago, if they only realized in reality, you will never be 'that' person again, but it doesn't mean your work ethic has changed or you are trying to use your diagnosis for special consideration.  Sometimes, people are very uninformed, aren't they?

Pam

#12 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi Lucky,

As usual you wrote the perfect post. I love how you have a way with words. Everything you said was so true.  When I was dx almost 5 years ago I was immediately put on Gleevac. A month later I went for a checkup with my Oncs Assistant The G made me really sick. Which I had already told her. While she was examining me she told me how lucky I was, and they call Gleevac the Magic Bullet! One month after dx I did not feel very lucky. I felt terrified.  I really wanted to tell her what she could do with her Magic Bullet.   lots o luv   Billie

#13 Judy2

Judy2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hi Lucky,

Don't tell people who have leukemia "Well, any of us can walk outside and get hit by a bus". Next time someone tells me that I'm saying to them " Then look both ways, and for your information if I look both ways I still have leukemia!!!"

Judy

#14 MomMom

MomMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hi,  I have not been on the discussion boards in a long time.  I have missed the humor, the trials, tribulations, information and friends.  Lucky's 'things you don't say' were spot on!  I retired from full time work last June and every time I see someone from there who knew I had CML says "well, you look great."  Uh huh. but my insides tell me different. This August will be 4 years since dx and I still see my oncologist every three months.  Last May our house was struck by a tornado and it took months to get it back together.  We were not injured and miraculously we did not have damage to furniture - just to roof, walls, floors and the outside of the house. Well, my house "looks great" but we are still finding cracks in the walls!  CML has permanently cracked my health.  This is a good day, because so far I have remembered everything I need to know!  That doesn't happen all the time.  Over all I am managing the side effects of Gleevec and for what I can't manage - I take a pill.

I have a "bloody brother" (not CML) in my church and we keep a check on each other.  Yep, he looks great, too. We both hate the diseases, but the remarks people make are just intolerable.

Thanks for your list, Lucky.  It made my day.

MomMom

#15 BethG

BethG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

All of the responses have hit home for me! I've heard several of them myself. I agree with others, the "You look good" or some variation is the worst! I've come to the conclusion that people say that to help ease their own fears about how I'm doing...

BethG

#16 lthouse612

lthouse612

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

I had a former co-worker say to me... after learning I was receiving SSD... "wow, I wish I could stay home and get paid for it!"  Well then... you can have all the perks that go with it too... including CML! I would have gladly switched places with them in an instant.  I miss working but I have other things that help make up for it.  I get to spend a great deal of time with my 2 boys... I'll always have that and the memories I get along with it!

#17 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

By your sister - "Oh so it can be managed by a pill that's good - did I tell you about  Michael (my brother in law who both smokes and drinks heavily) he needs to take more than one tablet a day for his blood pressure

Don't you just love family

P.S. forgot to add -  Sister " I can't do a compatibility match in case you end up needing a transplant as I don't like needles" nuff said

#18 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Susan. .. my sincere apologies.  I should have thought through more carefully what I said.  It seems that I've read so many posts from people who don't have support, and that makes me feel badly for people who have a rough time getting support from families.  I did not meant to offend anyone, and will  delete the post. 

Marnie

#19 susantheresa

susantheresa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi Marnie,

No harm, no foul as they say.  Reread some of the post, they really are mean to give us a good laugh during these incredulious times of confusion, uncertainty, pain, suffering and any other adjective we can find.  Laughter REALLY is the BEST MEDICINE...No Worries though, o.k. Just reread them and maybe you'll see them in a different light.  Susan  ps. Wish you well.

#20 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Luck,

Well done!  I couldn't have said it better.  It should be published!  All 1-12 have been floating in my head since dx.  As a victim of #1, #4 and #12, I salute you.  Although I generally love people, I am now never surprised at how insensitive people can be.  Love the one about  "You go first and let me know how it goes!" LOL

Teds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users