Take care,

Teds

#22 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

RE: "I had a former co-worker say to me... after learning I was receiving SSD... "wow, I wish I could stay home and get paid for it!" 

My MOTHER said, after learning that I was having to declare bankruptcy due to the inability to work enough to pay my bills, said "Wow, I wish I could just get rid of debt like that."

Yeah, she's real sensitive.  Has called me exactly twice in the year and a half since I was diagnosed, and complains to others that I don't want to talk to her.

And my brother?  When very first diagnosed wanted to know if he could get this, and when I told him that it was statistically virtually impossible, but that he might be a donor if I needed it, never said another word to me.

Family. 

Sigh.

That's why my wonderful Virtual Friends are so vital (that's you guys).  Lucky, thanks for the fabulous post!

caroline

#23 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hey Marnie,

Quit grading those papers and clean out your inbox.  I have been trying to send you something.    have a great day.

Pam

#24 lehrerin

lehrerin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Great list Lucky!   And for more reading entertainment try this link

http://community.lls...tart=0&tstart=0

The kids with cancer section has a huge listing of things that get said to them on a regular basis    

I still remember being told my daughter had the "good leukemia" when she was first diagnosed.    And also being told by a "friend" that I probably caused it by feeding her too much MacDonald's Happy Meals "those things are all junk and chemicals-you know that is what probably caused it"......like I didn't have enough guilt already.

Today is a lovely day, so we will be out riding our horses, while we wait for PCR results from the heme-onc, and for an email from Purdue to find out if she was accepted to Summer Vet Camp.   

#25 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Oooops! Wrong motorcycle.  My sincere appologies.  Right on, Mark!

Teds

#26 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Have fun riding!  What a great day to ride!  Keeping fingers crossed for great results & vet camp!  Keep me posted!

Teds

#27 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

I've been having a little holiday from the boards, but logged on today and love the thread.  How about: 'Oh, my cat had that.  It was so sad, we had to have it put down.'

#28 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Holy heck PhilB, I think you won the award, (if there was one)  that is the most unfeeling and ridiculous statement a person could say to another! 

#29 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Oh crap!!  Where's my Inbox?  They changed things and I haven't done much posting since the change.  I was feeling so technologically goddess-like today after the lights in my classroom went out, and  the projector quit working.  AFter the lights came back on the projector was still dead. . .so much for my Smartboard lesson.  BUT. . .after a bunch of fiddling, button pushing, climbing on table tops and wiggling wires, I got the projector to work, BUT everything on the screen was upside down!!  ARRGHHHH!!  BUT. . .after standing on my head so I could read the directions on the screen and after 20 minutes of pushing many buttons on the remote to see if I could find any sort of options for "upside down", I was able to get everything rightside up (for future reference, look for "screen settings<ceiling mount").  The only thing I forgot to do was set the projector on "high altitude."  (Yes, they really need to be set for the mile-high city. . .who knew!!).

That said, if someone can direct me to my inbox, I'll clean it out, as per request.  Unfortunately Pam, I will have to continue grading papers.  Took an annual leave day tomorrow because I'm plumb tuckered out and doggy paddling just as fast as I can to stay on top of the workload. . .and will spend the entire day building smartboard lessons.  What a stupid way to spend an annual leave day.  8 days 'til spring break and counting (but at least the kids are excited about reciprocals. . yippee!!  They haven't been this engaged in math all year!).

#30 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Never mind. . .I found the inbox.  Good lord!  There was an e-mail about Islam in there.  Spam taking up precious message space.  Also found a message from December from another Denverite wanting to talk.  Dang!  I gotta start checking those messages! 

Marnie

#31 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Phil, in response to your post:

O.k. in spite of sounding like a moron. . .when I was diagnosed, MY cat had had feline leukemia for many years.  I felt like an idiot, but decided that I was going to ask the onc all of my questions, even if they were stupid.  So I asked him if there was any corrolation, thinking that we might have to have the cat put down to prevent husband from contracting the disease.  My onc was able to keep a straight face as he answered my question with something like "there is no evidence that the disease can cross the human-animal barrier."  Phew!!  The cat remained with us until a few months ago when we had him put down after a horrific seizure.  He was 20 years old (let's see. . .that's over 100 in cat years), and while crotchety and quirky for many years, had become quite a loving (though still quirky) old boy.

Marnie

#32 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Phil,

You must have read one of my past posts.  My cousin actually said something like this to me.  Very, very similar.  I just brushed it off and then she hit me with an underhanded compliment about my "long" legs.  If you are insensitive on one level, it is usually an across the board thing.

Teds

#33 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Beth,

Glad to hear your voice again!  I agree, it is all about them.  That is what is so disappointing.  Anyway, I was told the same thing just after I was dx (how good I look).  And the whole family had just seen me the previous week!!!!  Guess I must have looked horrible before I was dx to look so good in a week after dx.  Lately, the shaved head thing in support of "cancer fighters" gets to me.  What's the point?  I view it as a slam in a way.  They can choose to lose their hair.  Cancer patients going through that kind of chemo cannot.

Teds

#34 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Phil,  That was a good one.  I don't have a cat, but usually vets give cat a shot for Leukemia, I 'm not sure how it is different for a cat then a person.

But hard to believe a person would say that.

maybe we should call this.  The darndest things people say to leukemia patients.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#35 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Sorry, Pam, but that's not accurate.  Once a cat has feline leuk, there is nothing they can do.  Like us, the cat simply lives with the leukemia.  The worst part (for me) was that once our first cat died (he didn't have the leuk) we couldn't get a kitten because we still had the cat with the feline leukemia.  It is VERY transferrable from shared litter boxes and food/water bowls. Now that the cat WITH the leuk is passed on, I CAN GET A NEW KITTEN!! Yippee!!!!   

I hope my husband doesn't consider the same about me

Marnie

#36 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

P.S.  Feline leukemia is a completely different thing than human leukemia.  I believe it's a virus.

Marnie

#37 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Marnie,

You should have left the projection upside down, it would have added interest to the lesson and you could have taken some really awesome photos of your students hanging upside down for the yearbook.  I love the smart board, but I was having fun, you have to earn your living with it.  Enjoy your day off and don't work the entire time, I think it should begin with coffee or tea and a healthy dump of Baily's, work into wine for lunch, a top shelf margarita for dinner, then finish off the day with a nice sangria for a bedtime snack. (Note: All of these beverages work well with smartboard lessons) just sayin'

Pam

#38 gloriakat

gloriakat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Good one....but it's an excepted reaction from a leukemia patient. one of my friend is suffering from leukemia, and he also reacted in same manner. I was always with him( he is one of my best friend and has 3 beautiful kids). But now he is undergoing leukemia chemotherapy, We just hope he will be fine very soon. Please pray for my friend.

#39 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

I always wondered what was in my teacher's coffee...  Anyway, after teaching at public school for 9 years, I think teachers all could use a little relaxation in their java (and not the tushie kind).  Anyway, our Smartboard NEVER worked right.  It was donated to us by some business.  I think schools are the only ones using them (because most are free).  It was a very frustrating tool to use.  If it worked it would be great!

All the best,

Tedsey

#40 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Tedsey,

loved the comment, 'I always wondered what was in my teacher's coffee.'  Sometimes, not knowing and allowing the imagination to run away is more fun than the reality.  It was probably filled with over strong coffee, loaded with sugar for quick energy, and a touch of non fat creme for health reasons.  I like the Bailey's idea much better, and just in celebration of this conversation (and St Pats Day), I believe tomorrow morn that is how I am going to start the day.  We are installing a patio door where I oversized picture window is now living, I think after a few mugs of coffee I may be up to the challenge. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users