• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Okay folks, this is it!  After my blood draw today (counts are still all good) My Onc and I feel confident we'll get another negative marking this one at five full years of unwaivering PCRU tests .  This time we've been instructed by Dr. Druker (he knows what we're attempting and has given his approval) to send it to OHSU for a third lab verification.  After careful consideration and LOTS of reading I will reduce my dosage starting today to 200 mg of Gleevec.  My normal test schedule has been bumped up from six months to three, to make sure we're on top of any changes. I will keep you all informed of my situation.

Joel

#2 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Good luck Joel.  Safe journey...

Mike

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Joel,

Ooh!  Interesting and so exciting, too!  Keep us posted, would love to know the outcome. Let us know the in-between stuff, too.  Like how you feel on 200 mg vs 400 mg gleevec.

Traci

#4 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thank you, Mike!

Traci: That's the most exciting thing i'm looking forward to is how i'll feel on the lower dosage

#5 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

If anybody is wanting to go the other way, increasing by 200mg, firstly you're crazy and secondly I've found a  big (sucky) difference in going from 600mg to 800mg. My point being is that the extra 200mg has an impact so one would hope that 200 less should also have a big difference. It took about 2 weeks for my body to really get that it was taking more drug so you might not feel fantastic in the first day.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#6 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Wow thats awesome, please keep us posted and wishing you all the best.

#7 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Best of luck!  Yes, keep us posted.  Here is to PCRU for decades and decades until you are very old and gray.

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I've been on 200mg Gleevec for 3 years now and have never lost PCRU.

I would not have used the title "TKI Cessation" since what you have described is actually dose reduction for long term Minimum Residual Disease status.

#9 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

Tedsey: thank you! I'm looking forward to gray hair.

Trey: I titled it accurately. My journey is inclusive of dose reduction until six months then finally completely stopping.

#10 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

OK, so you are actually reducing dosage for 6 months, then stopping completely.  What is the plan if you become PCR positive?  Restart TKI immediately at any positive PCR, wait for several positive PCRs, or see if you maintain MMR over the long term and live with positive PCRs unless MMR is lost? 

#11 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Trey: After carefully reviewing all the documented scenarios I will be going back on Gleevec after a year of failed tests, depending on how severe the upswing of the trend goes. If it looks as though I plateau in a low level MMR then I'll keep monitoring at three month intervals for a year.

#12 Jamar

Jamar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

How long should you be PCRU before decreasing your dosage?

I am going on 9mos at PCRU But I assume you need to be PCRU for a couple years, right? 2 or 3 yrs?

#13 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Jamar: there are more qualified people here to talk about this but i'll repeat what i've heard.  The studies from France and UK's stop imatinib program have required their candidates to be at least two years PCRU.  Congratulations on your status!

I've started taking three doses of 1200mg Equaline brand Omega 3 (360mg per softgel) and one Sundown Naturals High Potency B12 500 MCG pill, daily.  We'll see if that helps to eliminate the remaining progenitor cells.

#14 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Joel,

Good luck to you!  I think you're very brave.  Please keep us posted.

Rissa

#15 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thank You I will be following you on your journey.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#16 Jamar

Jamar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

so 3600 mg of omega 3 per day?

How quickly do you go through a bottle of omega 3 pills?

#17 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Jamar: that'd be correct.  There's 100 pills in a bottle so I figure i'll be going through a bottle every month and some odd days.

#18 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hey, this is great.  Good luck!

What's the rationale behind the Omega 3 + B12 supplements?  I've been following the Curcumin threads, but I'm curious what your thinking here with regard to eliminating "the remaining progenitor cells" ...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#19 threedprof

threedprof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Dan: Thank you for the support!

there is research being done showing some possible positive effects of an extract of Omega 3 against CML.

Here's a link: http://community.lls...e/128435#128435

whether it works or not remains to be seen. The B-12 supplement was to help bolster my system to fight against nasty mosquito bite reactions.  However, since i've been reading up on B-12, it appears to be a myth so I may cease taking the B-12 since my tests don't show low levels of it.

#20 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ah yes, now I remember that research -- thanks for sharing.  That is something that I've been meaning to try as well.  I had a huge piece of salmon for dinner tonight though.  Does that count? :-)

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users