• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#201 Laila98

Laila98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I will post pcitures I promise on caring bridge and I'll get one on here too!  I am sooo exhausted, i feel more and more tired everyday it's not fun but hey sleeping is cool with me... Better then pain lol.

Thanks Jack :-)!!!!! I'm excited for two bdays means more reason to get cake hehe..  I'm obsessed with cake I know but could be worst lol... Ya'll rock too ya know!!! Ya'll give me strength, and my Aunt and Uncle say thanks! I'm gonna try an nap I'm exhausted.. I'll be on later. <3

#202 Laila98

Laila98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hey guys question for you... do you think it's pathetic of me to set up a fundraiser to help my aunt and uncle pay for everything I'm going through? I'm not really sure what to do or how I'd do it but I feel horrible that they are dishing out so much money and then afterwards paying for their house as well as a place for us to stay for a 100 days. I was just wondering if me doing it for myself makes me pathetic though? I mean it's not for me it's for them but still, and if not any ideas on what to do?

#203 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Laila,

How the heck would that be pathetic?  You don't have insurance coverage, so a fundraiser would be perfectly acceptable.  It's great that your aunt and uncle are trying to cover the costs, but I must admit I'm a bit surprised they have to.  I read from a couple of people here that you should be able to get some sort of "uninsured minors" coverage through the state of MI.  Perhaps the coverage is limited, so they won't cover a BMT.  Don't know, but I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least some help. 

Traci

#204 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

That's not pathetic at all.  A fundraiser is a great idea.  I'm not sure how you would go about it though.  I attended a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago at our local American Legion, but I don't know how they set it all up.  It's worth looking into though.

#205 NotJack?

NotJack?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hey Laila,

I think that you are wonderful to think of doing this for your family, it is a great idea.  I would also, as has been suggested,  have your aunt consult with the cancer team's financial adviser to help find funding sources.  Listen to Traci, and have someone help find these funding sources.  I apologize that we (older generation) have not secured national health insurance for you,  and everyone else that gets hit in this way.  You should be concentrating on getting well, not on financial matters.  I will try to do some research for you from this end.  You take care, and my best to your aunt and uncle,  Jack  (you really do rock!!)

Jack

#206 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Dear Laila,

I'll call the social worker at my cc center tomorrow. I'm sure there is help available for your aunt and uncle they probably haven't talked to the right people. You can ask to speak to the social worker at the hospital where you are now. And if you have been assigned a social worker you can always contact them also. But if you want some sort of fundraiser set up I'm all for it. even with gov. help they still have expenses food,personal care items etc. Oh and more reruns of HeeHaw.

lol Billie

#207 matt92711

matt92711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Laila,

Great news that you found a match. Wishing you all the best.

#208 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi Laila:  First let me say again what a great girl you are.  Going through all that you are, and your so thankful to your Aunt and Uncle for all the love and care and expense they are having.  Raising money to help them out is a great idea, but I know nothing about how to start.  I see your getting ideas from everyone else.  Wishing you the best on accomplishing something like this.

Susan

#209 tinac21

tinac21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

There has to be a way for you to apply for state assistants? When I was Dx back in '04 neither of my parent had any type of insurance for me either, so the hospital put in an application in for me for Medicaid. I have been with gov insurance ever since (so far they havent kicked me off yet). I hope you can become approved for some kind of assistance, these treatments can cost so very much. Hate to see your Aunt and Uncle have to fight to come up with that kind of money

#210 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Dear Tina,

You are so right, I'm sure there are programs to help people in Lailas position. Everything happened so fast for her,and her Aunt and Uncle, that all they could think of was getting Laila immediate medical care. What wonderful people they must be. I'm sure they will be reimbursed at some time in the future, and they definitly should be. But going through all that red tape is demeaning. I hope they read this post, because what they have done for Laila I hope they follow through. They worked all their lives,and we worked all our lives and the taxes,and donations we give are supposed to help people like Laila, and her Aunt and Uncle. So hopefully we can guide them inthe right direction. But her Aunt and Uncle deserve so much more,I will gladly send a donation to them but how do we do it?.

Sincerly Billie

#211 NotJack?

NotJack?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hey Laila,

I am still looking, but have your aunt look here:  http://www.michigan....35199--,00.html

Take care, Jack

Jack

#212 NotJack?

NotJack?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hey Laila,

Perhaps some more resources for you and your aunt and uncle:

http://www.mpca.net/enroll.html

http://michiganpca.w...n-get-coverage/

http://www.oakgov.co...cesshealth.html

http://www.healthpla...rance/michigan/

http://www.ehow.com/...ninsurable.html

Sorry that I  couldn't be more help, hope that this helps a little. Note that there is some help for supporting family also.  These programs are there because there is a need for them, because of deficiencies in the insurance laws that allow insurance companies to ignore high risk people.  (thank you lobbyists)  This is not charity, it is compensation for an inequitable system.  It is there for you.  Wish that I could help more.  There also might be church groups, or volunteers from the local Leukemia Society that will help disinfect your home for your homecoming, and supply you with a bunch of strategically placed bottles of Purell.   Take care, Jack

Jack

#213 Laila98

Laila98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Matt!!! also thanks to everyone who has been trying to help me... My aunt said they are working out all the fine lines of state stuff with my social worker, she said "trust me they want to get paid so they'll help her get me set up" lol.  I thought was kinda funny... She told me to stop stressin everything but I can't help it... i'm trying to be not stressed but I dont' want to be the burden i've already been so was trying to help..

#214 Casandra

Casandra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hey laila! So A's you may know I am not a computer person and so I'm  pretty sure the computer jacked up our messaging thing. So then Iwas just going to private message you even though I never got your reply but now it won't let me reply because we aren't friends or sometthiNg, dumb I know! But anyway message me asap cause I miss talking to you!!!!!

#215 Laila98

Laila98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

HEY CASANDRA!!! I've missed ya glad you are back :-) YAY! Well I tried to send you a private message and wrote the whole thing out but it says your inbox is full lol. It only holds like 5 messages or something, it's foolish. sooooooo we need to talk asap delete girl delete delete delete lol...

#216 Laila98

Laila98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well. I wanted to make a post on here because tomorrow I start my conditioning chemo for the transplant and I wasn't sure if everyone followed my caringbridge page or not so wanted to update on here too. FYI it's : www.caringbridge.org/visit/lailajean, I think my Aunt is only going to update that page so if you wanna know what's going on look there, if not i'll try and get on here as much as I can but no promises how much that'll be since I don't know how i'll handle everything. I'm kind of a baby when it comes to not feeling well lol. I can handle pain i just hate the feeling nauseaous and getting sick crap! It's the worst  but I'll get through it.. So I have something wrong with my back I don't remember what it's colled but it hurts, they have me on vicodin and it's whew strong I feel like I don't even know how to explain it. i'm sure this si how you feel when you're drunk but I honestly don't know I've never drank before and honestly never plan too. Be the best idea for me since of my family history lol. But it's helping my back a lot which is good and the people here are super nice. I also  got my bead of accomplishment!!! It might sound dumb but now I get why they give people in AA coins for milestones.. cause it makes me smile everytime I get a bead :-) plus it'll be a good memory token of this battle in my life! Well I am really tired and like woooohooo feeling haha... thank you all for helping me through everything you all mean the world to me!! I'll never forget anyones support through this ever! <3<3

#217 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Good Luck, will be thinking about you!

#218 matt92711

matt92711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Laila,

Wow things are sure moving fast for you. Hope you get the better of the Chemo than it gets of you. Really sad the wish with your father did not work out as you had hoped. You can't change other people so move on as best as you can and focus on taking care of yourself. It is great that there are other people who care about you and are there for you. It is not your fault your father is treating you this way, rather he is in a bad place and you are feeling it.

You are in my prayers. Be well.

#219 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

Laila,  I am praying and thinking of you everyday.  You are young, you will make it!  I just know you will, you have so........... many people sending positive thoughts your way. 

Trust me hun, it makes us feel good, raises are spirits too,  when you beat it!!  We say ha, ha stupid cancer you didn't get this one!!

Hugs xoxo PamSouth

PamSouth

#220 Casandra

Casandra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ohhhhh haha wow ok I'll get jack to help me out. sorry bout that! Hope your doing well and holding up!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users