Photo

Just came across this study in my Oncology Journal Scans...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 matt92711

matt92711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Very interesting I really never even realized this. I am looking at my Blood work before I started with Tasigna and I see that at dx my Lymphocytes were high and then went to normal once I started taking Tasigna. My platelets while always in the normal range did have a slight dip so wonder if that might possibly have been related to elimination of CML precursor cells. My RBC's are also in the normal range with a slight dip after starting Tasigna

Now I wonder, like CallMeLucky, if it is possible the CML types are different. Perhaps in some cases the HSC differentiated to a specific type or types of progenitor cell so that the presentation is only or mostly in those lines (kind of like the Stem Cell burn out idea, where after a number of years many of us no longer have the bad ancient stem cell, with it happening early on but only in limited stem cell lines), whereas in other cases the HSC population was renewed and there remains a stable population of CML progenitor cells in all lines. I also wonder if in being able to stop the TKI this makes any difference. In the STIM trials I wonder if these factors could make a difference.

I know if I were to apply this to my specific case, this does not easily reconcile with the current model for blood cells that shows the Lymphoid Progenitor branching off above the Myeloid Progenitor Cell, which would imply that if the Lymphocytes are affected and any Myeloid WBC's then the platelets and RBC's cells should be affected as well, but I still wonder.

#22 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Sounds like we presented similarly.  MY ALC was slightly above normal 7.8 (5.3 normal high).  After starting Gleevec it dropped back down.  Platelets also dipped, my highest was 313 (within normal range).  Dropped to a low of 120 about 6-7 weeks on drug, then bounced back up to normal range.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#23 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Trey, and all, 

Thanks for your input that helped me a lot.  I think I can understand why all the blood is effected with the TKI and the CML, chain.  At least on the level of what I need to know.

Basically "because all lines of blood cells are affected by CML, and all blood forming cells have a nucleus except for the final stages for RBCs and platelets."

The interesting thing about all of this, for me.  Yes in 2005 my primary doctor, sent me to the cancer center originally, because by platelets were over a million.

However after BMB and I was diagnosed with CML July 2005, at 57 years old.   I went back to my primary doctor and asked the clerk for a copy of my previous CBC lab 2002. I knew it had been at least 3 years since my lab, 2002, because when I went to my primary doctor (2005) for my annual check up and for my annual blood pressure prescription, I remember the doctor saying "it has been 3 years since we did labs, time for labs"  So I was thinking the insurance had some sort of protocol on age and when to do labs.   Anyhow when I got my previous labs from 3 years earlier (2002) my Platelets were then 579,0000 and the range on that lab was 130,000 ? 500,000.  My Band Neutrophil were only 1 and the normal range was 2-6, my Basophil were 4 and the normal range was 0-2.  I think It would be safe to say that I had CML in 2002 and perhaps much earlier.  What the doctor saw my labs in 2002 and my platelets kick out high, my Ban Neutrophil kicked out Low and the Basophil kicked out high, why does my primary doctor not  tell me or question it, or run another CBC until 3 years later????  My guess would be that perhaps when regular MD see something that is not there expertise, unless it is way out of whack like my 1 million platelets, it was just ignored.  Wouldn't you at least think the doctor had an obligation to say your labs were off, etc, even if it was in the guidelines as not being off enough. AFter all it was 3 things that kicked out.  In fact after diagnosed with CML, in 2005 I flew from my home in Indiana to MdAnderson in Houston Tx.  Without me asking, the doctor said you have had this for several years.

I guess what I am getting at, is before a person is even diagnosed with something they should be getting copies of their labs.  For example my husbands Eosinophils, for the last 2 years run between 5 and 7, normal being 0-4.  He asked his primary doctor about it and he said I am not worried probably allergies.

A couple of years ago my husband labs were a mess and he was close to me putting him in a nursing home, to make a long story short he was allergic to the arthritis pills and his primary doctor double the dose, added pain meds, and other med's until he could no longer take care of himself.  I started getting all his labs and taking him to other doctors.  Took him to an oncologist as his granulocytes were all off, she run a myaloma test it was negative.  I told her his mother died of leukemia at age 42, so I don't know why she didn't run a test for leukemia.  Anyhow I weaned him off the med's got him into physical therapy.  His labs are now all normal except for HIGH Eosinophils, and he is working part time.  Still has arthritis but he just lives with it, as he is allergic to a lot of med's.  He is 70 years old too, and I think the older you get the less dosage a geriatric doctor would put you on. AT least that was the case the last 3 years before my mom died at age 84, her med's were baby doses.  In fact she had a stroke 2 week after her labs and ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks and then to a nursing home, I often wondered if the doctor read her labs, because at the time of the stroke all her electrolytes were off. I did call her doctor a week after her labs and the Physician Assistant said labs were OK??

Considering all of the above, I still sometimes wonder if when I go to my new oncologist, I should mention my husbands high Eosinophils for the last 2 years, or just do the wait and see.  I am thinking since the Eosinophils were the only thing off on his labs last month, maybe I should just wait and watch.

PamSouth

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users