#1 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

http://www.thehindu....e?homepage=true

A compound found in fish oil, which apparently kills leukaemia stem cells, may lead to the cure of the disease, a new study including Indian origin researcher has revealed.

The compound, delta-12-protaglandin J3, or D12-PGJ3 targeted and killed the stem cells of chronic myelogenous leukemia, or CML, in mice, according to Sandeep Prabhu, associate professor of immunology and molecular toxicology in the Department of Veterinary and Medical Sciences.

He said that the compound is produced from EPA, Eicosapentaenoic Acid, an Omega-3 fatty acid found in fish and in fish oil.

"Research in the past on fatty acids has shown the health benefits of fatty acids on cardiovascular system and brain development, particularly in infants, but we have shown that some metabolites of Omega-3 have the ability to selectively kill the leukemia-causing stem cells in mice," said Prabhu. "The important thing is that the mice were completely cured of leukemia with no relapse," he noted.

Penn State researchers said that the compound kills cancer-causing stem cells in the mice's spleen and bone marrow. Specifically, it activates a gene p53 in the leukemia stem cell that programs the cell's own death. "p53 is a tumor suppressor gene that regulates the response to DNA damage and maintains genomic stability," Prabhu stated.

Killing the stem cells in leukemia, a cancer of the white blood cells, is important because stem cells can divide and produce more cancer cells, as well as create more stem cells, he explained.

Robert Paulson, associate professor of veterinary and biomedical sciences, who co—directed this research with Prabhu said that the current therapy for CML extends the patient's life by keeping the number of leukemia cells low, but the drugs fail to completely cure the disease because they do not target leukemia stem cells.

During the experiments, the researchers injected each mouse with about 600 nanograms of D12—PGJ3 each day for a week. Tests showed that the mice were completely cured of the disease. The blood count was normal, and the spleen returned to normal size. The disease did not relapse.

The study has been recently published in Blood.

#2 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

See Possible cure for CML in Fish Oil

#3 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

The active compound in the article in blood is ?12-prostaglandin J3.  Does anyone know if human consumption of EPA omega-3 actually produces this compound?

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

http://www.futurity....il-is-too-much/

Maybe cure Leukemia, but give you colon cancer ?

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#5 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Who knows what to believe anymore?  PamSouth

PamSouth

#6 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

But doesn't imatinib protect against colon cancer?

#7 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

With our Think Tank on this discussion board, wouldn't are group make a great team of oncologist?

We are always coming up with theories, new links, new questions, suggestions, challenges. 

I mean, what one doesn't think of, another one will, and we give free information.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#8 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

scuba wrote:

http://www.futurity....il-is-too-much/

Maybe cure Leukemia, but give you colon cancer ?

One thing about that study.  The ratio of DHA to EPA is greater than 10, which seems unusual for Fish Oil.  They even state the following:

"Our dietary composition and feeding period are compareable to other FO feeding studies with the exception that our DFO contained mostly DHA and only little EPA"

Also, remember that the active ingredient in the article in Blood is an EPA metabolite.

#9 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Precisely ... which is why I am looking for an Omega-3 that is high in EPA.

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#10 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

scuba wrote:

Precisely ... which is why I am looking for an Omega-3 that is high in EPA.

I found one that has 1060mg of EPA and 274mg of DHA per serving (two softgels).  Let me know if you find something better.

Also, I am not sure how much total EPA per day should we be shooting for.

#11 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Where did you find the softgels?

I believe the dose is 1,000 mg for EPA.

#12 gianfranko

gianfranko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=YE-7010

Hopefully its okay to link to a company website. 

#13 cousineg

cousineg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

A new article:

Working toward a cure: Penn State duo developing fish oil-based leukemia treatment

Other link: http://www.cmleukemi...n-fish-oil.html

#14 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Well, not to be flip, but for me, this cure wouldbe worse than the gleevec. I had to take a lot of fish oil when pg with the twins. Horrid stuff, tasted fish all day. Yeah, I know, new fish oil polls not supposed to dothat, but I'm too leery to believe it.

Traci

#15 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

I find the reflux free one odd as well, admitedly you don't get a fishy after taste, but you do get another strange taste instead. LOL I'd rather take the "non reflux free" supplement.

#16 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

I guess I am a bit skeptic.  I think all these things are good to stay healthy but as far as any herbs etc, healing or curing cancer, I don't think so. Hope I am, because I take supplements too.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#17 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've been eating lot's of smoked salmon lately, I wonder if I'm getting any good fish oil from it?

#18 fola

fola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

So much mixed info.  Now there's a new study saying that fish oil reduces risk of colorectal cancer.  Here's a link to an article discussing it.

http://www.chicagotr...0,1248190.story

Apparently it was only monitoring people eating fresh fish, but I'm hoping that popping a fish oil pill or two per day is equally as beneficial.

#19 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

You won't get a fishy aftertaste, or any other kind of aftertaste from the Spring Valley brand sold at Walmart.  Green bottle, yellow cap.

#20 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

No disrespect intended, but Trey's term "snake oil" comes to mind.  My grandmother just turned 96.  That is pretty darn old in people years.  She (and my 97 year old papa) mostly ate processed foods, fast food, smoked, drank, and ate a lot of fat and candy.  They both still do all this, but stopped smoking.  So, longevity is probably not so much about what you eat as an adult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users