• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teb

teb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Has anyone had to deal with this. I am currently on 400mg gleevec?

#2 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I get little blisters just inside my lips on occasion.  I also get larger ulcers from time to time.  When I get the blisters I tend to get about 4 or 5 at a time in a small patch.  I am also on G 400.  I have had issues with mouth ulcers for years - I am allergic to artificial sweetners and often get ulcers when I take pills that are coated.  As you know, G is coated so I tend to get some pretty wicked ulcers.  I didn't get the blisters before the G though and luckily they don't last nearly as long as my ulcers do.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

The TKI drugs can cause skin dryness, thinning, and rashes.  The lips and inside of the mouth are very close cousins to the skin, so they can also be affected in similar ways.

#4 ROM1212

ROM1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

teb,

Yes, I deal with this all the time.  Like you, I am also on 400mg G.  Dryer weather like that which occurs in the winter months exacerbates the problem, and being out in the wind really (ahem) chaps me.

I spoke to my dermatologist about the problem and he simply recommended lubricating them overnight with a healthy dose of vaseline, which has helped.  During the winter I carry a pocket tube of vaseline when I feel my lips drying out in the day.

Good luck!

#5 sandimartini47

sandimartini47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hi,

I also get this a lot; try staying away from acid foods--like tomato sauce, orange juice, etc.  That always calms my blisters down.   Try also eating yogurt or any dairy product--ice cream or milk, that also helps.  take care, sandi 

#6 CMLSurvivor

CMLSurvivor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

I get the blisters and peeling lips also. I have always gotten blisters from stress, colds or flu. The blisters on the lips is part of the herpies virus, according to my doctor. But the peeling lips is definitely the meds. You figure Gleevec is a cell spliter, and what are your lips made of, Cells. I use lots of lip protection with SPF in it. This seems to help.

#7 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Dear Teb,

I'm trying something new neosporin lip health daily hydration therapy spf 20. It's soothing  I'll let you know if it works.     Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users