• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fawnc46574

fawnc46574

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

I was wondering if anyone has known or heard of anyone successfully getting a vp shunt while taking Gleevec. I had one put in and the site ended up getting infected and the doctor says it seems like the incision was not getting enough blood flow and wonders if my gleevec is to blame. Any info about CML and shunting would be so helpful thank you. * the shunt was put in for another medical reason (saving my vision) so it is pretty important to get it put back in*

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

I have not heard of any issues, and could not find any references about complications.  I doubt that Gleevec had anything to do with the issue.  If the CML is under control so that blood counts are normal (or even low) then the CML likely has nothing to do with it unless your WBC is so low that you are having trouble fighting infections, but that is not usually the case.  People taking Gleevec generally have "thinner" blood, so it actually flows easier through smaller arteries which can even enhance the "washing effect" of the blood to keep the device clean.  Overall, unlikely due to the Gleevec.  These infections are more often due to the implanting process if done somewhat recently.  Otherwise, hard to say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users