#21 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi CML Guy:  I never heard of Cura Script at all, but my heart goes out to you to be paying this large amount.

I have a mail order plan through my husbands insurance, and I pay $80.00 for a 90 day supply with MEDCO.

I have gotten help before through Novartis who makes the Gleevec.  If this is hurting you financially, then see if you can get some help from them.

These medications are making everyone go broke.  Between my drugs and my  husbands prescriptions, we lay out so much money each year. ITs getting ridiculous, and then at tax time we do not see any relief coming back.

Things need to change somewhere down the road.  I wish you well.

Susan

#22 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

CMLguy,

I greatly fear that all these price increases are due to either Obamacare (raise prices while we can, before regulators won't allow it) or it is an attempt to run the price up and make lots of money before it goes generic.

Okay, to be fair, there has been a huge price increase in chemical feedstocks, so some of that could be legitimate price increases, but the increases seem to go beyond that. 

They must have an awfully good excuse if the insurance companies have agreed to keep paying for it.

Traci

#23 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

I haven't seen any price increase in Australia - so not sure if it is a Novartis doing the price increase for you guys and gals.

#24 CMLguy

CMLguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hello, Thanks for the reply. Cura Script is the specialty r/x side of Express Scripts Pharmacy.I am covered thru my wife's work place insurance,and have a very small copay amount.We had Next R/X before we were switched to Cura Script about two years ago.With Next R/X the pricing stayed pretty much the same.But from the very first order placed with Cura Script it has gone up every time,and as I said the order I just got had went up $2000.00.Side note to this story is I was reading a few month's back that the CEO of Express Script's is one of the highest payed CEO in the R/X Bus.Don't recall the dollar amount but it was some crazy number. I am really concerned due to the fact the company my wife work has a self funded insurance program. Thanks

#25 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi:  My husbands company is also self funded, and after listening to all these horror stories about insurance I guess we are fortunate in some ways.  I hope you can get a break somehow.  I dread going on Medicare, which I do not totally understand with what they refer to as the donut hole where you go through a period where you have to pay thousands before you get help again.  Thats the only way I can explain it, but hopefully my husband will not be retiring for a few years.  If its not one thing its another, and I guess we should all get used to it.

Susan

#26 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

LLS told me Gleevec would become Generic in 2015.  I saw where someone else posted it will be  2014.  I read somewhere when Gleevec becomes Generic it will drop to $5.00 to $10.00 a pill.  MY prayer is alway Dear Lord let Gleevec keep working for me, it has been 6 1/2 years now.  The newer patents are even much more expensive.

Our insurance is BLUE CROSS OF MICHIGAN UAW RETIREE.  Even though we live in Indiana all the auto makers hub is Blue Cross of Michigan.

My last shipment of Gleevec was over $5400.00 for 30 day supply of 400 mg each.   My Blue Cross MI UAW RETIREE, prescription is contracted to Medco.  My insurance is paying all but $20.00.  I can tell you the insurance is not one bit happy, to pay it!!!!!  The Gleevec goes up several hundred dollars a year, been on Gleevec since 2005.  Insurance used to let me have a 90 day mail order, a couple week early.  Now it is only a 30 day mail order, right down to the wire.  Now I get a letter ever year, from the UAW TRUST where the insurance money is held, and my oncologist has to call UAW and tell them, I still need the medication, duh!!  Then it has to be approved and then I get a letter from UAW Trust that it has been approved for another year, but no guarantee, as is subject to change depending on world economy.  We also get a separate letter from the UAW TRUST regarding the status of our health insurance, basically that it is very weak, depending on the economics (not of the US) ,  but of the world's economy, so complicated. I have called the UAW Trust asking for the 90 mail order and what happen when I go away on vacation.  They will allow me a one time extra shipment.  UAW let's me know this is a lot of money for 1 400 mg pill and they are not paying for more then a 30 days supply at a time. And the approval for paying for Gleevec, is subject to change due to the turmoil of the world economy. I can only imagine what my insurance would say if i had to switch to the newer drugs which may even be two or three thousand dollars a month more then Gleevec depending on the drug and dosage.

One response, I got from a Medco Rep" was what do you care your not paying for it", well the truth is, one way or another, we are all paying, either now or later, for health care, and there is no assurance, my insurance will not drop my coverage, or will not increase my share of the cost. Chrysler filed bankruptcy a few years ago, and Chrysler put some money into a trust for insurance that is run by the AUTO UAW,  I believe Chrysler was a few million or billion short. There are no guarantee there will be enough money in the insurance pot (VEBA) tomorrow.  OUR deductible went up several hundred dollars this year.  Plus we pay cobra for dental and optical, plus we pay part of our monthly insurance premium.  Before my husband retired we didn't pay anything.  Now our cost goes up every year.  I mean the insurance has to come up with the money somewhere to pay for these expensive drugs and healthcare.

My husband worked 38 years and I worked 32 years.  Hardly ever going to a doctor except for annual check up.  Now in are elderly retirement years we pay out the nose. If we lose our insurance, I doubt that we would fit into Novartis guideline, which means we would have to eat up what we have worked for and mortgage our house out to pay for these med's.

Like I said we all pay one way or anther.

I don't know that the problem iis Obama care, or Congress Care.  I think it is a myth to blame it on one party.  The whole d... congress and the rich CEO's are running the county not one party!!  Money rules!

Did you notice that all of congress has great insurance and perks, not just one party line.

PamSouth

PamSouth

#27 Tenderheart

Tenderheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

Thank you all for your input and insight on this issue. I agree with you, PamSouth, Susan, and CML Guy, no matter our "co-pay" on Gleevec, we all pay for it. I am like all of you, concerned that a continual astounding rise in price will discourage our insurance/employers from covering the med. I have been in the position the last 2 weeks of dealing with a new insurance since Jan. 1, and we are still trying to get my Gleevec authorized. It is unbelievable. I know that my Gleevec had gone up last year from something like $4500 to $9500 a month for my pills (100 mg, 6 tabs per day). Now my pharmacist says that cost has gone up by that much or more again. I'll know for sure when I actually get the medicine filled after all the hastle of preauthorization on the new insurance. I sure hope all my LLS/CML friends are having continued coverage of their meds without too much problem. I do appreciate all the help and support on this website. Thanks. Donna

#28 pamsouth

pamsouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Tenderheart.    I asked Medco back in with my December shipment.  I just got another 30 day shipment mail order today. The paperwork only show's my co-pay.  I would have to call Acredo Medco Pharmacy to find out the actual cost. Oh, but then I forgot I could go online.  the actual cost in Dec for 30 day, 400 mg mail order of Gleevec was over $5,400.00.  It goes up several hundred every year.  But if it keeps working for me it will go Generic, LLS told me it would be 2015, someone else on the board said 2014, but I would probably go with LLS.

Yep I don't know how are country can sustain these cost.  I know we need research money, but we are suppose to be in a health care crises.  Remember that has been the debate, for how many years now!!

PamSouth

PamSouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users