LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:27 AM

Hi everyone,

So, just when I thought I could live my life on a TKI without ever getting sick again .... well, now I'm sick.  Nothing major though - just that common case of "The Crud" that we all tend to get from time to time, especially when the kids start a new school year and bring home fun little viruses.  A little bit achy, stuffy nose, a bit of a raw throat, and cough/sneezing.

Just curious -- for Gleevec (or any TKI I guess), what's your typical all-purpose OTC of choice when dealing with this?  I used to be a DayQuil/NightQuil guy, but I'm guessing that's a poor choice since acetaminophen is not recommended with Gleevec.

drugs.com should give me some info, but I always value hearing what works for others...

Thanks to all!

Dan

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Dan,

My onc told me I could have no more than 1500 mg of tylenol per day.  If I remember rightly, there's 1000 mg of tylenol in Nyquil, right?  Thus, that means you are really limited to one dose per day to stay under 1500 mg.

So, I'd use it for bedtime, and just suffer during the day.  You could take some ibuprofen for the aches during the day.  Won't help with stuffiness.  Sudafed would be good for that, but now they make you sign at the pharmacy to get it.

Traci

#3 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Traci.  I thought that Gleevec and Tylenol were a bad mix?  I ended up buying NightQuil cold, which doesn't have the Tylenol component...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

I have used Mucinex and it helped.  They have the different kinds for head congestion, cough, etc.  It did not interfere with my Gleevec.  Sometimes I just let it take its course.  When I run a fever with the heavy chest congestion, then its time to see the doctor for a antibiotic which I try to avoid as much as possible.

I have a tendency to get Bronchitis.

#5 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

Thanks.  I reached out to another "long term" Gleevec user and she also recommended Mucinex.  I took a small dose of the NightQuil Cold last night and it really helped me out a lot!  I'm starting to feel a bit better today, so hopefully I won't need anymore medicine to get through it.  If I do, then Mucinex will be the next thing I try.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Glad your feeling better.  You can probably just let it take its course now.  For cough I use the old Robitussin as long as its not a bad congestion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users