• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Went for my bi weekly blood test and my liver enzymes are slightly elevated.  What do they do if it doesn't come down, anyone know?  I guess I shouldn't drink for awhile.  Have to go for another LFT next week...

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hi:  If your liver functions do not stabilize they might have to switch your choice of drug.  When I was on the Interferon shots at my initial diagnosis back in 1998, everything was going good with the exception of the Liver Functions.  They waited another month to re-check me, but then I had to come off the Interferon.  I had no TKI drugs back then so that I could switch to something else.  It took me months before I could get onto the Gleevec which I still take.

I forgot which drug you were put on, but I do not think it was Gleevec.  I would stop the alcohol also between now and your next test, just to see if your numbers change or not.

Susan

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:44 PM

LFT results can be skewed on a single test for a variety of reasons, so I would not get overly concerned yet, since these things can come and go based on a lot more than just CML drugs.  ALT and AST are the primary liver function indicators.  ALT is the better indicator since AST can be elevated, by muscle injury or other issues besides the liver.  I  have had a couple tests where AST was high then the next test it was completely normal.  So by itself AST is not the best indicator since there are several possible causes outside the liver.  So get a copy of  the lab report and see what "elevated LFT" actually means.

Slight elevations are not considered to be much of a concern:

"Mild to moderate elevations of the liver enzymes are  commonplace.  They are often unexpectedly encountered on  routine blood screening  tests in otherwise healthy individuals. The AST and ALT levels in such  cases are usually between twice the upper limits of normal and  several  hundred units/liter."

http://www.medicinen...tests/page3.htm

So  this helps put the issue of elevated ALT or AST into perspective, that  "mild to moderate elevations" are considered to be two or more times the upper limit of normal.  That might show that slight elevations may not be so much to be concerned about.  My Onc says these numbers can bounce around quite a bit based on other factors, especially AST.  But that  does not mean they should be ignored if they are consistently above the normal range.

http://www.atdn.org/...e/liverfun.html

#4 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

Tasigna, Hope they don't have to switch it cuz I'm doing great on it otherwise

I don't usually drink anyway but was planning on going out for my friends bday this weekend and have a couple beers, guess it's club soda for me!!

#5 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

just went to the lab to request copies.  Thanks for the info. 

#6 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

Looks like it is my ALT.  For 2 weeks it was high, 52 then 57 then came down to 38.  I couldn't get yesterday's test results to see what it was but that is the one he called me about.   Have to check with the hospital tomorrow. 

#7 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hi:  Try not to get yourself too concerned, as your numbers are fluctuating and then seemed to drop lower.  It could be something else going on that has nothing to do with your Tasigna and of no real concern.  You see people's numbers jumping around all the time.  You could get a blood test with one result, and go back in a few hours and get a different result.  You have been doing good, and I will pray that they have a simple answer for you.   You said you were going out for a celebration.  Enjoy yourself and just see how the next test goes.

Susan

#8 sschneck

sschneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

My liver levels remained unchanged so they want me to take a one week drug holiday...AST 43 and ALT 68...it sucks because I was doing so well otherwise.  I guess Dr. wants to consider lowering my dose now...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users