• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 captdan58

captdan58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

My husband was diagnosed approx 4 1/2 years ago and has been taking Gleevec. This past month he has developed a low grade fever and has been soaking the covers with sweat potentially when the fever breaks. Today we received the results of his recent FISH test and I wish I had grabbed a copy of the results...but I believe the doctor said it went from 11 to 79....not sure what this means.  Anyway, he is intolerant of a higher dose of Gleevec and the doctor suggested he try Tasigna if the tests they sent him for today come back consisent with the test we just received.  Any feedback on side affects and response to this drug is greatly appreciated. The information on side affects I read on the websites are disturbing...paticularly the QT prolongonation (sudden death).

Is it potentially better to consider a BMT at his age instead of continuing to play with new drugs?

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hi:  I have been on Gleevec for 11 years, and it has been good to me.  So many people have switched to Tasigna and Sprycel, and did even better.  They all have their side effects no matter what you take, but in most cases they are tolerable.  What is good for one person, may not be for another.  See how the test results come back, and I am sure you will get some feedback from others on here who are doing very well with the Tasigna.  They can give you a better idea of the side effects they have had.

I wish your husband well on whatever they have to put him on.  There is a new trial going on at MD Anderson for ARIAD, and people who have failed all the other TKI's have done tremendously well on this.  Just keep in mind that we are fortunate that so many new drugs have followed the Gleevec.  Gleevec was our first line of treatment, and I was in the clinical trial for that in 2000.  I never could believe that it could work like it has.

Susan

#3 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:13 AM

HI, I have never been on gleevec I was diagnosed in Jan. this year & started tasigna Feb. 1st. I had EKG the first two weeks into it & everything was fine, no problem there. I have been very fortunate to have NO side effects from tasigna except for fatigue. My blood work was back to normal in 2 weeks after starting tasigna. My last PCR showed I have reached CMR, and for that I thank GOD every day for tasigna!!! I pray I stay in CMR & tasigna keeps working for me. I  always have the anxiety  before BW & PCR test, I think we all do, as Susan has said before. I believe in prayer & and positive attitude. When first diagnosed after reading the side effects of T. I thought I can't do this. After finding this board, and all the wonderful people posting their expierences, I had a different view of LIVING WITH CML!!!!!!!! I don't post very often, but I am only 6 months into this myself & still learning. But you have come to the right place for answers, we have all found that no matter what the question, someone always has a reply & encouragement. This board is like a chain, we are all linked together thru our diagnosis. May the Lord bless you & keep you in peace. Prayers to all, granny d

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

The FISH result shows a definite loss of response to Gleevec.  Higher dosage Gleevec does not usually work if there is such a large change in test results.  A BMT is usually not advisable unless the patient has failed all the TKI drugs, and maybe any clinical trial drugs -- the exception is if someone is in Blast Phase at diagnosis.

At loss of response it is advisable to switch drugs, and also have a Kinase Mutation Test.  As for the choice of next drug, there is no clear answer since both have benefits.  You might want to look at this posting:

http://community.lls.org/message/34465

If I had a significant loss of response, I would choose Sprycel over Tasigna since it is "more different" from Gleevec than Tasigna.  Tasigna is essentially a stronger Gleevec.  Sprycel is a very different drug.

#5 mike43147

mike43147

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I have been on Tasigna for 14 months.  When I started using Tasigna I had headaches, they lasted about a week.  No other real side effects for me.  Hardest thing to get used to is 2 doses a day and the time period you can not eat before and after taking Tasigna.  He can find a schedule that fits him.  I have the F317L mutation and Tasigna has worked well for me.  Beats the stem cell transplant I was on my way to a year ago.  Good Luck, hope things work out for you two.

Mike

#6 jchoi

jchoi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

I don't know if you've already considered SPRYCEL, but if you haven't, you should ask your doctor about it.

It's one pill per day and doesn't required any fasting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users