9 replies to this topic

#1 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to stay calm when going to see their onc?  I've gotten used to giving blood but I am always a mess afterwards when I have to have my vitals taken and before I get my results.  My blood pressure and pulse are often significantly higher than normal.  I can feel the anxiety as I anticipate what the lab results will show.  If they took my blood pressure after getting the results I am sure the numbers would be a lot lower.  They last 2 times I went they made me come back 30 minutes later and retake my blood pressure.  Three weeks ago it went down but this morning it actually got even higher.  People talk about white coat syndrome, but I am starting to get tired of  the nurse taking my blood pressure looking at me like I am crazy. and  just suggesting to stay "Stay Calm."

Interestingly, when I was going for weekly labs my anxiety was not too bad.  It has only been recently when my trips are more infrequent that I have been more anxious.

The thing is am actually doing well in terms of conquering CML.  Been on Tasigna since April 25th and achieved CHR within a month and have stayed there since.  Hemoglobin and RBC getting even stronger as the weeks go by.  PB Fish after 4 weeks went from 99.5% down to 66%.  I'll have my 3 month checkup at the end of July where I will get another BMA.  So I am doing well but just can't seem to relax when I get tested.

Stephen

#2 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

Resisting the temptation to go for my usual one word piece of advice - alcohol - if I were you I'd invest 20 bucks or so in a home blood pressure meter and just practise relaxation with it.  Be careful not to get too good at it though.  I once really relaxed myself before a dental anaesthetic (which I hate) and they made me have a glucose drink and go away for half an hour as they decided my pulse was now way too low!

#3 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Dear Stephen,

You have only been dx less than 3 mos. Just walking through those doors and my blood pressure goes up. And it is harder going every 3 mos. I guess we start to calm down for a while then boom we have to go to that place again. I couldn't even say Cancer Center for 2 years.I have had cml 4 years on august 4,  I'm still a wreck when I go and my bp still goes up and I get all shaky.You will always be reminded you have cancer the minute you pull into the parking lot. I guess our bodies have their own coping mechanism Because eventually you'll be able to handle it better. I don't remember my first 6 visits except #1 bmb-bma. That's the one I want to forget. I can't remember anything else. I'll never forget that day or the date.. So come on the board more often. Because you'll really find out what you're

dealing with in a way you can understand. One thing is for sure you'll die of old age not cml!

Hang in there that's what we are all here for.because no matter what feeling or ache or pain you may get we have all had them too. even the unmentionables we discuss all that to. So don't be shy if you have a personal question.              Good Luck  Billie

#4 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thank you Phil,

I knew you wouldn't disappoint us.           Cheerio Billie

#5 sdl722

sdl722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Phil -- Gosh what would I do for a glass of wine every now and then.  If only my liver wasn't "stressing out" a bit from Tasigna.  Anyway, the home blood pressure monitor does sound like a good idea, especially if I can train myself to be more relaxed.  I hate dental procedures beyond the normal cleaning, but I've been lucky and have had very good teeth.

Billie -- Thanks for the encouragement.  This afternoon I told myself to just not worry about what my blood pressure does when I go there.  If it's high, it's high.  I went with my wife this morning for my labs and it was her first time being there with me since the very beginning (she's a teacher so couldn't take time off for the weekly labs in the beginning).  She even acknowledged to me that she felt her anxiety rise when she walked into the center.  But you're right, everything is fine and then the day you go BAM here comes the stress. Granted I've only had one, but I'll never forget the BMB/BMA I had in April.  The actual procedure wasn't bad but 24 hours later I was taking my first ever ambulance trip to the ER and found that it is really uncomfortable to lie on your stomach for 3.5 hours straight.  Fortunately my wife and I are able to chuckle about about that experience now (being rookies we essentially overreacted).  At the end of the month I only have a BMA and everyone says those are so much easier, but I'm not convinced yet.

#6 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

My trick to bring down my blood pressure - deep diaphragmatic breathing while visualizing a water balloon deflating as the water rushes out of it.  I tell myself "my blood vessels are relaxing".  I let my body relax as I say "re-llllaaaxxx-ing" while I envision the water coming out, and just keep repeating it.  Use whatever imagery works for you, but remember the deep breathing, too.

Traci

#7 kaufmanp

kaufmanp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

I have the exact same problem.  Phil's advice on the home blood pressure monitor is a good one.  In my case I take regular measurements throughout the day which are "normal" but as soon as I hit my doctor's office I spike.  Anyway, if you take measurements throughout the day for a month or two and document it all, the doc shouldn't care so much about the in-house measurements.  Also, be sure you bring the home monitor in to the doc's office so that you can get a good baseline on whether your monitor's readings match up to the commerical model at the office -- even if they don't match, you should get an idea of how much your monitor might be off in order to compare apples to apples.

PK

#8 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hi Stephen:  That White Coat Sydrome is a real thing.  Been dealing with it for years, but only with my Primary Doctor for some reason.  I think she is so particular about everything with me.  Never fails, I get anxious and the BP is up.  Then I go to my Oncologist, and its normal.  I do get myself in a real frame of mind everytime there are labs involved though.  I am sure there are many others who go through the same thing.

I try to relax in the waiting room before its my turn to go in, and sometimes it helps.  As long as your doing well, thats all that matters.

I am due for lab work for both doctors pretty soon, and I am sure my anxiety will start all over again.

I would not worry about it, as long as the BP is only up when you get uptight.

Susan

#9 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi Stephen

I had my blood pressure taken yesterday - non CML reason - and got a credible 118/78 which is normal for me. I stay calm by closing my eyes and imagining myself lying in a hammock strung between two palm trees on my favourite island with the sun beating down.  This makes me relax. I suppose that nearly 6 years down the road I have also got used to all the prodding and poking of needles involved in being a CMLer.

Marian

#10 lala

lala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hi...we used to live in Puerto Rico.  Every time I need a mental break, I go back to the warm sun, gentle breezes, and palm trees.  I plunk my tired butt on the beach and look at the water!    It is amazing how that works!            It's hot in Chicago today!  Lala

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users