Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

Man Claims Sunscreen Gave Him Leukemia
By CHRIS FRY
HACKENSACK, N.J. (CN) - A man claims he got leukemia from Palmer's Skin Success Eventone Fade Cream, a skin lightener touted as "A Healthy Combination For Your Skin," but which contains a "benzene metabolite" that metabolizes to an even more toxic chemical.

Deloy Southwell sued the manufacturer, E.T. Browne Co., in Bergen County Court. He claims Browne "knowingly failed to provide needed, accurate and adequate information regarding the health hazards of the product."
     Southwell claims the product, which also is sold as a sunscreen, contains 2 percent hydroquinone. "Hydroquinone is a benzene metabolite and is converted to a more toxic metabolite, which is leukemogenic, when applied to the skin. It is accumulated in the bone marrow and its metabolite, p-benzoquinone, is a well known carcinogen associated with leukemia, including chronic myeloid leukemia," according to the complaint.
     Southwell says the U.S. FDA issued a proposed rule in August 2006 "that would establish that over-the-counter skin bleaching products containing hydroquinone are not generally recognized as safe and effective and are misbranded."
     He adds that Browne "knew or should have known that applying Palmer's Skin Success could cause serious injuries, including leukemia, in persons such as Mr. Southwell."
     Southwell says he started using the cream in 2009 to "remove dark spots under his eyes and on his face, neck and hands," and that the packaging "failed to warn of various dangers and health risks."
     Southwell says he "noticed a lump on his left chest wall" in September 2009 and was admitted to Montefiore Medical Center, where a bone marrow biopsy "revealed morphologic findings strongly suggestive of CML," - chronic myelogenous leukemia.
     Southwell says he has been prescribed chemotherapy and "cannot afford private insurance and is currently applying for Medicaid benefits."
     He says that if he is unable to take the prescribed medication, he will die.
     He adds that products containing hydroquinone have been banned in the European Union, South Africa, Japan and Australia.
     Southwell seeks damages for product liability, negligence, advertising fraud and breach of warranty.
     He is represented by Scott Harford with Lynch, Daskal and Emery of New York, N.Y.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hi:  I definitely believe it is possible.  Just look at all these medications that they are coming up with everyday to help your Cholesterol etc.,  Then the commercial states a long list of what else you could possibly get from taking this medication like Lymphoma etc.

I know someone who just had a new baby in June, and she takes him over to the beach because she wants to get some sun. She is slapping this sunscreen cream all over this baby to avoid sunburn, and she could be giving him something worse.

I can remember when I was younger, and Coppertone was the big suntan lotion everyone used.  Who knows what it did to people in later years. 

I have never been a sunworshiper like my friends.  Never did like the summer, but now so many have just recently been getting all kinds of suspicious moles removed to have biopsied.  Their results are coming back as Pre-Cancerous.  My daughter just went through having all kinds of moles removed, but hers came back okay.  They did look suspicious with irregular edges as they tell you to watch for.  Its very important to check these things out.

Susan

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Well, that's interesting, but I don't know if much will come of it.  Of import will be how deeply the HQ penetrates into the skin.  I would think it would have to get picked up in the blood in order to accumulate in the bone marrow.  I kinda doubt it gets that far.

The MSDS indicates it is a known animal carcinogen (rat, mouse) with "unknown relevance to humans".  Hence it is classified as a possible human carcinogen.

If the suit proceeds, that will be interesting as well as HQ is in lots of skincare products, primarily those that state they remove age spots and dark spots.  We'll have to see what other skincare companies do in response.

Traci

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Hi:  Many years ago my neighbors kids came home with Scabies from whoever they were hanging out with.  She got a prescription lotion to apply all over the kids, and I picked up the box that the tube of lotion was in to read what it was.. Right on the box it said  Can Cause Leukemia in some people.  I never thought anything of it.

Now that I have CML, it made me remember that incident.  I believe it had Benzene in it, or something in that family.

I just feel that here she was using a prescrption treatment, and you never know what else it can cause.

I am not a expert by any means on all these things, but I never take or use anything unless its urgent that I use it.

Susan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users