• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

My company just started a new free benefit called Best Doctors.  Apparently, they work as an advocate for you, by reviewing the diagnosis after obtaining permission to look at the medical records.  I'm wondering if anyone else has interacted with this group before.   Fortunately, this CML stuff seems pretty straight forward for most of us  - take a TKI drug and get better, but thought maybe this was a way to get a 2nd opinion for free??

Any thoughts?

Steve-o

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Sorry if I sound like a suspicious Aloysius (love Ned Flanders), but is this a confidential 2nd opinion?  So they won't share info with your employer if you don't want to?  I've never heard of this group before.  Might be good, just haven't heard of anything like it.

Traci

#3 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

Traci:

I thought of that as well.  With my tenure at work, my CML isn't a real well-kept secret.   The upper execs (or "suits") are in the loop and the head of HR called me to check to see how I was doing.  I guess I'm also worried about aggravating my onc doc, who I really like and trust.

Nice Simpsons reference BTW.

Steve-o

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Steve-o,

I'm every bit as suspicious about this as Traci. Companies are all about lowering their costs when it comes to health insurance. I don't trust them to necessarily have my best interests in mind with these kind of programs. I'd rather pay to get my second opinion from someone whose opinion I would value. My two cents...

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

True, Pat.  It is all about the bottom-line.  I, of all folks, should know that.  Brain fog clouding my judgement?  I'll wait a little bit and see if anyone on here has dealt with them before.  I appreciate your input.

#6 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hi:  Its up to you if you want to take advantage of this.  I can only say that my Husband's company has come up with all kinds of things to try to save the company money that they are contributing to for our insurance.  We get letters and phone calls, and then we find out its nothing we are interested in.

Every company is different, but if you have a good doctor then I do not see the need for this.

I like to keep our health issues confidential between the doctor and us.  Just check it out for yourself if you want to see what they actually offer.

Its good to get others opinions on here anyhow.

Susan 61

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Ask yourself: "Best for whom?"  Otherwise, "best" is a very difficult thing to define, and one size does not fit all. There isn't anyone I would trust to review my diagnosis except for a handful of top-tier CML Oncs.

#8 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

I read their website, I can see pluses and minuses, like anything else.  I think for CML, which is very rare and very text book in treatment in chronic phase, there isn't going to be much benefit.

To me it seems like the value of this program is if you are in a more desolate area and do not have access to specialized doctors.  I think this also makes more sense in developing countries.  Assuming you have a good doctor and are being treated at a reputable hospital/practice, then what would you benefit from working with them?

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#9 Steve-o

Steve-o

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone.  My doc is following the NCCN guidelines and has also consulted with the other onc docs at the center, so I feel really good about the treatment so far.

I'm 13 pills into my Gleevec and so far so good.  Some muscle and joint stuff and occasional  cramping (my big toe tried to switch spots with the one next to it).  It was more comical than painful.

Spleen seems to have shrunken already, though my last blood work had my WBC count increase slightly from initial diagnosis - sounds like that's normal as well.

Steve-o

#10 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:21 PM

Dear Steve,

At your post the first thing you mentioned, was the treatment for us is take a pill a day and we'll be fine. I'm sorry I didn't mean it like you said it, but you're ins. co. came up with this great treatment for cml pop a pill everyday and our health problems are all gone. The new generic Gleevac is coming out next year or sometime soon. I have been thinking about this for a while. Most ins co's make you take a generic form of just about every med we take I could not handle going on G again,but if the ins.would look at my records my bw was better on G. The side effects for me were horrendous but all the gi issues were not life threatening. I'm having a problem with anemia on Sprycel.But I don't care I feel 100% better then on G. I just have this feeling their already sneaking up on us.

Billie

#11 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hi Billie:  How have you been doing?   You mentioned the Generic Gleevec, and to tell you the truth I am not anxious to get it.  I would like to hear someone's input with regard to Generic Vs. Brand Name.  I know that some Generic's do not work as good as the Brand Name.  When I was working in the medical field, the doctors had to write on the script Brand Name Necessary because people did not do well with the Generic form of different medications.   I was just talking to someone who is friends with someone at Novartis, and she said that this could very well happen where people will need the Gleevec Brand Name.

I was wondering how everyone feels about this.  I know the expense is going to be a big issue also.

Susan

#12 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

I guess the question is will Novartis drop the price somewhat so it can compete with a generic brand?

#13 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Susan,

They've been using it in India, haven't they?  So hopefully there would be efficacy data out there already.  I think the generics should work the same if they are formulated the same (meaning has the same salt form (could affect absorption), same binders, same coating, etc.  If I knew the formulation was the same as Novartis, I would probably be comfortable with it, but I'd also want to get my blood checked early on and more frequently just to make sure it worked well. 

I understand your concern.  I don't mind trying a generic antihistamine, because if it doesn't work, I'll know it fairly soon and it won't do any further harm.  But when the drug has absolutely got to work well, it's harder to make that change.  I'm sure insurance companies will force the issue by making the generic the "preferred" one and the Novartis brand the "higher tier, higher copay" one.  I'm sure Novartis is working hard to make Tasigna a common first line therapy, so they can replace any sales they might lose to generic Gleevec competition.

Traci

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users