• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dsrwbr4536

Dsrwbr4536

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Good morning. First I would like to thank everyone that responded to "Why is everyone acting so differently?" I really appreciate your thoughts and hopefully you are right and in time they will get past it.   Here is my question for today. Not really a question but I need a little help in understanding these test results. These are results from my husbands first visit with his onc. Before Starting Tasigna. I know it is a lot of info but I just want to try to get a handle on where we are starting. Here goes. Any input would be great.   CBC w/diff  WBC  -  41.9 RBC. - 3.96 HEMOGLOBIN -12.6 HEMOCRIT - 39.1 MVC  - 98.7 MCH. - 31.8 MCMH - 32.2 PLATELETS. - 156 MPV- 11.1 RDW - 15.0 RDW STDEV 53.4 NEUTROPHILS, SEG. - 58  BANDS. -11 LYMPHOCYTES. - 3 MONOCYTES - 4 EOSINOPHILS - 0 BASOPHILS - 0 METAMYELOCYTE - 12 MYELOCYTES - 11 BLAST. - 1 PLATELET EST - consistent with count NEUTROPHIL ABSOLUTE - 28.91 LYMPHOCYTE ABSOLUTE - 1.28 MONOCYTE ABSOLUTE - 1.68 EOSINOPHIL ABSOLUTE - 0.00 BASOPHILS ABSOLUTE - 0.00 ANISOCYTOSOS -slight POLYCHROMASIA - slight COMMENT 2, differential. - to be rev'd by path COMMENT,DIFFERENTIAL. - WBC count called to (name) 9:37 and read back verified  LD(LACTATE DEHYDROGENASE) 502 LAP STAIN - 16 URIC ACID. - 6.1  On the metabolic panel here are the only ones that were not in normal range  CALCIUM - 10.3 ALBUMIN - 5.0  I figure that most of you understand this aswell as any onc out there by now. Any help in helping me understand these results would be great.thank you all and have a wonderful weekend.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

I assume this was at diagnosis (started out on Tasigna as first drug).  He was diagnosed fairly early (good) with relatively low white blood count (WBC) of 42,000 (most of us were over 100,000).  Blast count very low (good).  Basophils very low (good).  Everything looks like early Chronic Phase diagnosis.  Eraly diagnosis is better.  Would not worry about the calcum or albumin counts until Tasigna brings the WBC and other blood counts into normal ranges.  So all looks very good (except he has CML, of course).  Or as some say: "Other than that, how was the Play, Mrs Lincoln?"

#3 Dsrwbr4536

Dsrwbr4536

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hello everyone. These are the newest test results. These are from the second visit to the onc. Just wondering how these look. Still trying to get used to looking at these. Here they are  CBC.  WBC. 2.7  -  RBC. 3.70. -  HEMOGLOBIN. 11.9. - HEMOCRIT 36.0. -   MCV. 97.3. -  MCH. 32.2. -  MCHC  33.1. -  PLATELETS  213. -  MPV. 10.1. -  RDW. 13.4. -  RDW-STDEV. 47.9  -  NEUTROPHILS. 70  -  LYMPHOCYTES  20. -  MONOCYTES. 9. -  EOSINOPHILS. 1  -  BASOPHILS. 0.  -  NEUTROPHILS,S SEG./BANDS/ATYPICAL LYMPHO/METAMYELOCYTE/MYELOCYTES/PLATELET EST( THESE WERE LEFT BLANK. -  NEUTROPHIL ABSOLUTE 1.88. -  LYMPHOCYTE ABSOLUTE 0.54. -  MONOCYTE ABSOLUTE  0.23. -  EOSINOPHIL ABSOLUTE. 0.03. -  BASOPHILS ABSOLUTE. 0.01. -  RBC MORPHOLOGY ( BLANK)  BCR/ABL GENE REARRANGEMENT BCR-ABL/ABL RATIO.    11.742. H   WHAT DOES THIS MEAN  LOG REDUCTION.   -0.454.    WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?  Ok I know that is a lot to look at but Iam hoping an explanation comparing the 2 results will help me understand. Thank you for your help.  Ladybug

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

He has achieved the first goal of treatment, which is a Complete Hematological Response (CHR).  So that is good.  It means that the blood has returned to a "Gleevec normal" (meaning some counts have now actually gone low, such as WBC, but that is fine).  So be happy for that.

The other stuff is:

BCR/ABL GENE REARRANGEMENT BCR-ABL/ABL RATIO.    11.742. H 

His PCR is 11.7%

LOG REDUCTION.   -0.454.

His PCR is .454 log below avaerage PCR at diagnosis for that lab.  The main overall goal for CML treatment is to achieve a 3 log reduction over time (about 18 months or so).  So he has dropped about 1/2 log so far, which means he needs another 2 1/2 logs more to achieve the long term goal for CML treatment.

So he is making progress, which is a good thing.

#5 Dsrwbr4536

Dsrwbr4536

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

Well then YAH! YAH!  Thank you so much for the explanation. Having to wait 3 weeks to see the onc would have driven me crazy. You are the most generous person to give so much of your time to everyone. Words can not begin to say how much you have helped me to deal with the dx and to better understand CML. I hope you are having a wonderful evening.   Ladybug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users