My kids both had strep throat last week. I started feeling yucky Friday night and Saturday morning. Went to urgent care (why do I always get sick on the weekends??), and the rapid strep test came back negative. Dr. said she thought I just had a cold/upper resp. viral infection but decided to do the culture since both kiddos were sick. Well, they called this morning (yes, 3 days later after exposing all of my extended family over the holiday weekend) to tell me the culture was positive for strep. (I was feeling pretty good by Saturday evening and at that point, didn't think I had strep. I felt fine the rest of the weekend and today.)
They called in Azithromycin (z-pack 5 day dose) today. Urgent care doc said it was fine to take w/Sprycel. Called oncologist office to verify but no one returned my call all day. Asked the pharmacist to check for interaction with Sprycel. She did and said it was fine. I just checked for iteraction and found that there is a Moderate risk due to an increased risk of Q-T prolongation with both drugs (if I am understanding drugs.com).
Should I be concerned? I haven't had an EKG since December and there was no indication of trouble with the Q-T interval at that time (I do have a short P-R interval but have had that all along.) On a side note, I need to look how often I should be getting EKGs. My old onc did them monthly, but my new one (had to switch in Jan due to insurance) didn't think I needed another one until June.
Should I keep taking or stop and have them switch me to a different antibiotic? They had also mentioned Amoxicillin.
THANKS for any information you may have! (I did try to search to find an answer on here but couldn't find this exact question.)