• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 acb

acb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

My kids both had strep throat last week. I started feeling yucky Friday night and Saturday morning. Went to urgent care (why do I always get sick on the weekends??), and the rapid strep test came back negative. Dr. said she thought I just had a cold/upper resp. viral infection but decided to do the culture since both kiddos were sick. Well, they called this morning (yes, 3 days later after exposing all of my extended family over the holiday weekend) to tell me the culture was positive for strep. (I was feeling pretty good by Saturday evening and at that point, didn't think I had strep. I felt fine the rest of the weekend and today.)

They called in Azithromycin (z-pack 5 day dose) today. Urgent care doc said it was fine to take w/Sprycel. Called oncologist office to verify but no one returned my call all day. Asked the pharmacist to check for interaction with Sprycel. She did and said it was fine. I just checked for iteraction and found that there is a Moderate risk due to an increased risk of Q-T prolongation with both drugs (if I am understanding drugs.com).

Should I be concerned? I haven't had an EKG since December and there was no indication of trouble with the Q-T interval at that time (I do have a short P-R interval but have had that all along.) On a side note, I need to look how often I should be getting EKGs. My old onc did them monthly, but my new one (had to switch in Jan due to insurance) didn't think I needed another one until June.

Should I keep taking or stop and have them switch me to a different antibiotic? They had also mentioned Amoxicillin.

THANKS for any information you may have! (I did try to search to find an answer on here but couldn't find this exact question.)

#2 jsmiddiebrush

jsmiddiebrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Sorry to hear you ending up cathing the strep from your kids!

My answer is close but not quite what you're looking for....  My husband is on Tagsigna.  He's had a nasty hacking cough/upper respiratory thing for what seems like forever now.  Went to his Primary Care doc who gave him the same thing:  z-pack/Azithromycin. Doc said it was fine with Tasigna....don't know about Sprycel.  Bad news is the cough didn't really go away, so he went back for another appointment and got another dose of z-pack, but was cautious about trying a different type of antibiotic due the the Tasinga.  Cough is better but still lingering a bit.

Anyway if the pharmacist checked I would think you'd be fine.  I wouldn't worry over much about the Q-T prolongation issue, I think that was more of a concern with some of the initial trials than it turned out to be in reality.  But the lawyers probably make them say it .

Hope you feel better!

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

I would take the Azithromycin.  Your doc has given you good advice.

#4 acb

acb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for your reply! I figured it might be more of a "cover your butt" warning than anything else. Just wanted to make sure.

Hope your husband's cough finally goes away all together. Could it be allergy related rather than bacterial infection?

#5 acb

acb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks, Trey, for your reply! I have stayed on it. Just wanted to double check here for some more expert advice. Thank you for always keeping me informed. I love this site!

#6 jsmiddiebrush

jsmiddiebrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

ACB - Thanks for asking!  No, we don't think its allergies.  His cough is better but still not gone, and he's still coughing up "gunk" (I think that's the technical term for it.)  So yesterday he went back to his Pimary Care Doc AGAIN, and this time he ordered a chest X ray for today. His Primary Care Doc is a self admitted worry wort, so I'm not too terribly concerned....

But three years ago, when routine blood work showed high White Blood Cell count for no apparent reason and he felt fine otherwise,  the same worry wort doc said he thought there was probably a mistake at the lab, but MADE him get a second CBC "just to be sure."  Following the second CBC, he was at the oncologists within a week, so I guess its good to have a Primary Care Doc who's a worry wort!

How's your throat feeling?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users