8 replies to this topic

#1 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Hi,

I broke my foot this weekend (cute shoes v. curb and curb won).  The ER has referred me to an orthopedic surgeon to determine if surgery is necessary.  So far, I am in a splint, on crutches and pain meds.  I am curious is there is anything about possible surgery or treatment of the broken bone that I need to be concerned about due to CML.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nat

#2 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Ouch!  Hope it heals quickly.

I don't know of anything off the top of my head except for concerning pain relievers.  NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) and mainly tylenol (aceteminophen) can be hard on some peoples' livers when on a TKI, so maybe just watch out for that when helping with the pain.

#3 jsmiddiebrush

jsmiddiebrush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

Nat - sorry to hear about your foot!

When you talk to the ortho, be sure to let him or her know you have CML and which med you're on.  But be forewarned:  your ortho will likely never have heard of CML and you will know way more about it.  If surgery is needed, maybe have your ortho contact your oncologist for a consultation.

Good luck!

#4 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

First of all, I just want to say I feel for you.  What a bummer!  We should never have to be burdened with extra pain.  The CML is more than enough.  Anyway, the only thing I really know anything about it PLT.  This is probably a no-brainer for you, so sorry if telling you this doesn't help.  As long as they are in the normal range, surgery should be OK.  You probably have already contacted your onc, but his/her collaboration with the surgeon would be a good idea if you have to go that route.  Hope you don't!

Take care and heal fast!

Tedsey

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

As long as your platelet counts are at reasonable levels there should not be an issue.

#6 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Nat,

Ouch!  Stupid curb!  Hope it heals quickly for you and w/o the need for surgery.  Oh, what we suffer for fashion....

Traci

#7 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thanks everyone.  I am waiting for my blood test results from last week to see how my platelets are.  Usually , it just the wbc and rbc that are too low.  Traci -- 4-6 weeks in a cast makes those shoes no longer cute!

#8 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

But at least you had cute shoes on! All the best for a fast recovery.

PS On a much smaller scale, I had to have a toenail  extracted today due to an infection. Wonder if I'll get a discount on my next pedicure?

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#9 nathaliece

nathaliece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

WoofWoof -- Absolutely!  Sounds painful.  Are you doing ok?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users