Photo

question on non absorbtion of vitamin d - Trey or anyone who can help?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

In january I had my vitamin D level checked and was very low so my doctor put me on prescription vitamin d.  My level went from 19 to 23 but now is back down to 19 all while taking the prescription vitamin D, she suggests I check with my onc to see why im not absorbing the vitamin D.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Iam taking 400mg of gleevec everyday since 2006, could that be why Im not absorbing well or why my levels are so low?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

There are some issues which may help explain this, but they are conjecture on my part.  TKI drugs affect the levels of phosphates in the body, and phosphates are inter-related with Vitamin D.  Vit D helps regulate phosphates in the body, but TKIs upset that balance and reduce phosphate levels.  It is somewhat possible (conjecture) that this has something to do with it.  Also, Vit D is converted into something called Calcidiol by the liver, which in turn is synthesized by monocyte white blood cells.  If the TKI causes low WBC, it is possible (conjecture) that the Vit D is not synthesized properly, and therefore the test shows low Vit D.  Also, Vit D and thyroid issues are inter-related, and TKI drugs can interfere with proper thyroid function in some people.  Overall it is likely not an issue of malabsorption since Vit D is absorbed as a fat, and fats are easily absorbed.  Rather, the Vit D is not showing up on the tests due to one or more issues related to the TKI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

http://www.labtestso...min_d/test.html

#3 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

I just had my 3 month PCR, seems all was good. Thank God!! Onc decided to check my vitamin D, came back a whopping 9!!!! She has me taking 50,000 units once a week. Only on my second week, thought it was just me!!! Cut grass yesterday for 3 hours in the sunshine hope it helped the vitamin D, since we don't get much sun here in Ohio. Will have it checked again later in May, will see what to do from there!!! Prayers to all, granny d

#4 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

Morning Grannyd!

Wow, I have been taking extra D all along since 1. I live in the north and 2. I haven't been able to tolerate sun very well since I was on D.  Doing better on the Sprycel but still burn.  Never knew about the TKI interference.  Is there any thing these drugs don't mess with?  By the way, how do they test D levels?  Can it be done as part of the CBC draw? 

Trey;

Is this something, in your very educated opinion, that we should all have checked?  Especially in light of recent studies about the importance of D to the brain, cancer prevention, etc.?

Grannyd;

Please keep us posted on your progress with this.  I am sure we are all very interested in this new development!

Hugs and prayers,

Vicki

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Vitamin D deficiency is suspected in 50% of all people over 50 years old, and also high in younger people.  So if a TKI makes the situation worse (not proven that it actually does -- just anecdotal evidence), and since Vit D plays a major role in immunity against disease, it seems that most of us could benefit from monitoring.

#6 Tess

Tess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thankyou so much Trey, I kind of thought mayby the gleevec had something to do with it.  I will keep monotoring my levels and take vitamin D and try to get out in the sun more - I have no excuses for that since I live in sunny southern cal.

Good luck granny d - hope the prescription d helps!!

#7 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

Actually, I've been told from other docs that Vit D deficiency is on the rise amongst the general population, too.  The theory is that we have all been slathering SPF 15+ on ourselves, and thus not getting enough sunlight absorbed to help with Vit D production.  So it's not just TKIers alone who are facing it, but there may be some additional impact from the TKI drugs.

Traci

#8 grannyd

grannyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

I had mine checked during my monthly CBC, ask your onc the next time you have your blood drawn. She was really surprised my family doctor had never checked it when having my yearly blood work. She said it may help with my depression, as vitamin D does play a part in that too. As I have mentioned here before, I take lexapro & ativan for depression & anxiety.  Hope this helps others who are low on vitamin D!! Prayers to all, granny d

#9 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Thank you Grannyd (and Trey too).  I plan to request  they check my vit D when I go in a couple weeks.  Never hurt to know for sure. 

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users