Photo

PLEASE! Morbid Questions: "How is the death with chronic myeloid leukemia?' And other ethical issues.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hoog

Hoog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

Morbid Questions: "How is the death with chronic myeloid leukemia?' And other ethical issues.

PLEASE, if you have the information or a well thought out opinion, answer these questions to the best of your ability.

I was diagnosed in 2009 with CML, I am in my middle 30s, and I have posted on this forum a few times.

I know most of us don't want to think about this but I am a "give me every detail" type of person. Whether it's every detail of an adulterous spouse's infidelity (for example not literally) or the type of death one is going to experience I am the type of guy who wants to know every detail, so...

1. How is the death with CML? *

2. Is it painful? *

3. How long does it take to die once in blast phase?*

4. If one stopped taking Gleevic would that be considered suicide by man (life insurance, government statutes, etc)?**

5. If one stopped taking Gleevic would that be considered suicide by God ((Jesus & Jehovah)?**

* My Gleevic is working well so death is likely not something that I have to deal with in the near future. These are just questions that I want answered (my doctor won't tell me) so I can put my mind to rest.

**Let me be clear before someone calls a mental health institution on me; these are just philosophical questions not pre-suicide questions. Just ideas I am wrestling with in my head.

#2 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

I m no doctor, but tried to discuss your questions :

1. How is the death with CML? - Death is iminent, if sickness progresses, If one WBC increased over 500 K, one may die of stroke due to the blood is too thick from high WBC and platlet count. May also die of pneumonia if infection happned and WBC wont function.

2. Is it painful? * - Bone pain, headache or organ failure.

3. How long does it take to die once in blast phase?* - Blast stage will only last a few months, may be 3-6.

4. If one stopped taking Gleevic would that be considered suicide by man (life insurance, government statutes, etc)?** - I think it is up to individual opinion. One may not die if he take second generation drug TKI Sprycel or Tasigna.

5. If one stopped taking Gleevic would that be considered suicide by God ((Jesus & Jehovah)?** - I think it is up to individual opinion. . One may not die if he take second generation drug TKI Sprycel or Tasigna.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

We have discussed this to some degree.  See my postings in this thread:

http://community.lls...age/84904#84904

#4 donnadavis

donnadavis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

After some investigation I found my maternal grandmother actually died with CML. This was before Gleevec and I remember they kept giving her transfusions and it prolonged her life but at an awful cost to her . I know things are better now but I still haven't filled out a living will. I just can't give permission to someone else to withhold water or nourishment or pain killing drugs. I don't want to live a vegetative but i don't want to be in agony either.Recently we were told of a case where the person had an operation and something went wrong. When she woke up she was not the same. She couldn't remember relatives, was combative and uncooperative. After a week the family signed a paper saying not to give liquid or food unless she asked and she didn't. She died. I know everyone does need to appoint someone to make discussions

when you can't but I also know the medical community can put real preasure on the family at end times and people end up doing things they regret.

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:23 AM

Donna,

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. My husband and my best friend are

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users