• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bnwsalses

bnwsalses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

My mom is being diagonosed with CML couple weeks ago, she's joined a MD trial, but the trial is seperated into two groups, one group of patients will recieve gleevec while the other half will recieve tasigna. My question is that if she's being tried with tasigna can she switch to gleevec in the future?

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

I don't think there are any issues with switching to Gleevec, but if Tasigna works for her and the side effects aren't too bad, then there probably wouldn't be any reason to swap.

Gerry

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

Yes.  Some prefer Gleevec side effects over the other drugs (hard for some to believe, I know).  And when Gleevec goes off patent, I suspect many more will switch to a future generic Gleevec for long term maintenance drug therapy, possibly at lower dosage.

#4 bnwsalses

bnwsalses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

thx for the replies. i am asking this because the trial lasts for 2 yrs and the price of tasigna is a lot more expensive then gleevec, so if she gets tasigna and after 2 yrs probably would consider switch to gleevec

#5 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

I was on Gleevec for 5 years but the side effects are so bad for me that when Tasigna became available my Dr. suggested I give it a try. Well it didn't work and my numbers started going back up and I returned to Gleevec and numbers were in check at no time at all.  The only thing is I replaced some side effects for others. Very strange, but still kept some of the bad ones. Oh well. Next stop...Sprycel.

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on" ~~ Henry Rollins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users