• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Since dx I have struggled with anemia related to iron.  My HGB I always low despite taking extra iron pills and a multivitamin.  At my last aapt my HGB was 9.5 and I told the Onc the fatigue is killing me.  I am tired of being tired!  I had been taking the iron pills for almost a year with virtually no change in my HGB, in fact it just keeps going down.  So he suggested that since it was below 10 I try a few bags of IV Iron.  He said some people just do not absord the oral Iron and that looks to be the case with me.  In the beginning of March I got 2 bags of Iron.  I know people on here have said they could feel the difference from the iron pretty quickly - I was disappointed when it took me about a week to feel the difference (When I think quickly I think the next day) but was happy to finally have some energy.  It has now been about 6 weeks and I am really starting to drag again.  So for anyone out there that has gotten the IV Iron, how long does it last before you need a refill?

Heather

#2 5tigercubs

5tigercubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi heather, I had 2 bags in jan and havent had to go again. I still feel fatigued but some of that is tasigna.

I did want to say though that I knew a woman who had iron deficiency issues and had t go almost every month for I.V. iron but had no other health issues and no cancers. I would ask your onc and family doc. Hope you perk up soon.

#3 Lynne D

Lynne D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi Heather,

When I was first diagnosed in 2005 I had 6+ weeks of iron iv therapy. I had restless legs that was in my arms too, before diagnosis. The iron stopped that completely. That was 6 years ago and my red counts have never been up to normal range but the iron iv helped out tremendously after a few treatments. Now I take a slow release iron pill every other day. I can't take it everyday but I sometimes wish I could go for an Iron treatment every once in a while. It was a great feeling since my hg was 8. Not sure what it's been lately I have to get copies of my labs. Good luck and I guess ask for one, because I wish I did, I almost feel like my counts would have reached normal but never had.

Lynne Dagata

ldagata65@gmail.com

"Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on" ~~ Henry Rollins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users