#1 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

I guess this question is for Trey, unless somebody else has had a blood clot DVT along with their Leukemia.  I just got my blood work back today for my regular 3 month check.  Everything was very good, but I noticed that my Platelets have gone up to 196 which I know is very much in range.  My question is that I have been holding around 127 for over 4 years in my count.  Now this is the first test since I started on Warfarin, and my platelets went up.

I would think they would drop not go up if they are trying to keep my blood thin.  I hope this is not messing me up being on a blood thinner now.  I went from 127 to 196 in 12 weeks.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

Warfarin does not thin blood by lowering platelet counts, and it also should not normally raise the count.  As to why the platelet count went up a little, that is hard to say.  You said you take Nexium, which can sometimes increase platelet counts just after starting to take it.  Speculate there could possibly be an interaction between the Nexium and Warfarin, but I do not know for sure.  Either way it does not seem to be a cause for concern at this point.

#3 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Trey:  I just worry about every little thing, and I guess its because I have done so well for so many years.  If I see something different, I get concerned.

I think I said my platelets were 196, but I meant 171.  After holding at the 120's for so long,and then getting a bit of a increase I thought maybe it was the Warfarin.  I guess my concern was possibly seeing a constant increase.  Plus, this was my first complete blood work since starting on the Warfarin.

Thanks Again.  I know your always here to help.  I am due for my routine blood work and my PCR in July, and I will see how my numbers look then.

Susan 61

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users