Photo

Having issues with elevated liver enzymes. Any advice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pearl5@cox.net

pearl5@cox.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

I was diagnosed with CML in 8/2010.  Been on Gleevec since and just developed in past 2 mos elevated liver enzymes.  My Onc has taken me off of Gleevec till my next blood test.  Concerned with all stuff I read on the internet.  Feeling fatigued and emotionally spent.  Any advice would be helpful to get thru this.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

High liver enzymes are not that unusual.  Sometimes a break can help clear up the problem.  If it continues over the longer term, a drug switch would be a good idea.  Some here prefer Sprycel for that issue.  When discussing high liver enzymes and Gleevec, it is generally two to three times above normal levels before becoming a real concern.

See previous discussion:

http://community.lls...age/18171#18171

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hi, Pearl5,

Glad  your onc is keeping an eye on it. My local onc let one slip through for me when my ALT was 80 after 8 relatively trouble free months on G. When I got to Mayo for my regular 3 month checkup a few weeks later it was up to 1200! I was immediately taken off G and after much consultation it was determined that I would probably not be able to take G at any strength. My local onc felt horrible about it and you can bet he will never let that happen again. Before the ALT started coming down it got up to 1300+. I never felt bad and all LFT tests were normal, CT showed normal liver, etc. so I evidently dodged a dangerous bullet (no pun intended).

That's the extreme side. Hopefully, you are just experiencing a little glitch and everything will normalize in a week or two. It took 7 weeks for my ALT/AST counts to normalize, I started on Sprycel in Oct. 2009 and have been MMR since August 2009. My point is you have options, so be aware, but don't worry too much.

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 pearl5@cox.net

pearl5@cox.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the encourgement Trey and Pat.  My enzyme count went from 60/80 to 373/577 in 2 mos. and my wbc is at 2000.  This is all so new to me it tends to make me a little concerned.  Your words do give me comfort though.  It does help talking to somebody that's been here.  I will  let you know any further developments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users