• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cpsn0000

cpsn0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

My counts stablized over the past few weeks with being off Tasigna and I am set to start Sprycel here by tomorrow. My neurophils have been holding steady normal over the past couple of weeks since getting the wbc shot.

My platelet counts over the past two weeks have been 107,000 and 109,000 and then last week went down to 90,000 since I have been off Tasigna for now my 7th week. I had my BMB yesterday and then had my blood drawn and showed my platelets are down to 58,000.

What is taking place that as soon as my platelets started to climb, which took 3 weeks, over the last 4 weeks of being off it went from 107, to 108, down to 90 last week and now 58,000 yesterday.

My doctor is going to give me a shot most likely this coming Tuesday to boost my platelets...I am wondering if over the last 2 weeks my stem cells have been damaged where it can't produce platelets like it did before?

Thoughts on this?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

Platelets will bounce around more than any other blood cell count.  This is because the spleen will sequester them until they are needed, and maybe even hoard them at times.  So you may have enough platelets, but they could be held in the spleen until needed.  I suppose a person could make themself into a science project [DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME] by causing some bleeding an hour before the blood draw to signal the spleen to release platelets -- just wondering, not suggesting it.  But I am just making the point that the spleen keeps playing with the platelet counts, so you cannot find out the true current status. Then again, if they are very low, don't assume all is fine.

There are several drugs available for boosting platelet production.  Many docs prefer to use platelet transfusions.  I would read the fine print about the drugs, since some of these drugs have induced undesirable clotting in some patients.  Here are the ones I am aware of:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/neumega.html

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/4942a.htm

http://www.nplate.com/

http://www.drugs.com/promacta.html

#3 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

I just might try that.  I have been at this so loooong.  Time to have a little fun.  Luckily, all I have to do is shave my legs before my CBC.  That takes care of the "cutting" part anyway.  

#4 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

I guess I cannot try that one to check my platelets being I am on Coumadin for the blood clot I have.  I was curious if thinning my blood like I am if it would effect my platelet count.  I go next week for my routine blood work for my Oncologist.  I was just thinking about it today.

#5 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

I have been dealing with low PLT since I started on TKIs Nov. 2009.  This may reduce a little stress for you.  From what my onc says, under 20,000 is when doctors get concerned.  Anything above, if if you don't have any signs of bleeding, is probably OK.  Just keep an eye out for signs of bleeding.  My PLT stay within the 20-30,000 range.  So far, so good with the bleeding.  I have had some issues with menstrual bleeding.  But if you are a male, this will not be your problem.  Also, my excess bleeding may or may not be related to my low PLT.  I have been clotting in a normal time frame from cuts and I do not bruise more than normal.  So, it is possible to have adequately functioning PLT at a low volume.  Nevertheless, I warn against extreme and contact sports.  And I wouldn't go sky diving any time soon.

What drug are you taking to raise your PLT?  I was under the impression that only a PLT transfusion can do that.

I have been on WBC stim drugs too.  As I understood, they were to stimulate the WBC called the granulocytes (which include the neutrophils).  I don't think Neupogen or Neulasta helps the megakaryocytes (the WBC-like cells that break up into PLT, a.k.a thrombocytes, as in thrombocytopenia, which we both have).  But I am open for a re-education.

Take care.  Good luck with the Tasigna.  I hope you have a much better time with it.  

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Teds,

See the links I provided above that discuss 4 drugs used for boosting platelet production (maybe some are only available under certain circumstances).

#7 cpsn0000

cpsn0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I have only had one wbc shot which was neupogen and will be taking numega for my platelets. He wants to stimulate my bone marrow to start producing more platelets just like the wbc shot does. Transfusions can help, which I have had 2 so far but is crazy its still dropping off after going back up with being off tasigna for 7 weeks.

I am starting Sprycel at 20mg tomorrow. I will get this shot because I am sure my counts will get in the 20,000 range again, if not lower....Hard road, I hope I make it through all of this...

#8 cpsn0000

cpsn0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

I go for a blood check come Tuesday, I may just go on Monday because I have a feeling they will be really low by the weekend and would be nice to get a shot Monday instead of Tuesday...

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hi Susan,

I'm glad to see you on the board again it's been a while. I just wanted to see how you are feeling. Is your bloodclot going down? How long do you have to take Coumadin. I've been thinking about you I was afraid you might be back in the Hospital. Please don't overdo it when the weather breaks you don't need any more trouble. I can see it all now. The first really nice day we get we'll all be hopping around the yard cleaning out flowerbeds picking up sticks,trimmimg back our rose bushes. I usually start supper about 4 so I'll go in the house smelling like a wart hog start supper get ready to hop in the shower and probably collapse call 911 and have all these paramedics around me trying to help a very smelly dirty grungy woman with cml.They'll probably have to put masks on.And you know how it is with us sickies gotta go to er looking like that and get a drop dead gorgeous doctor. Who keeps calling me MAM!

LOL Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users