• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reedgirl

reedgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

After taking several weeks off from CML....we're back.  I decided I didn't want to spend so much time on here letting things consume me.  I checked in every once in a while just to "creep" on everyone and see how you are all getting along.  As I posted a few weeks back, my husbands father suddenly passed away Feb 18th.  We had left the evening before for a much needed vacation to Florida.  Thank goodness we didn't get too far, 5 1/2 hours away, had to turn around after receiving the call at 6 am.  Needless to say that just flipped our world upside down and inside out yet again.  My husband worked along side his father in their family hardware store since he was probably 12 and is now 42.  Its been extremely difficult for him, he's had to take over the business which he is most capable of, but has to adjust to not having his father by his side daily.  The only good thing, if you can call it that, is that we've put CML on the back burner.  It's time to come back to reality with the dreaded disease and get back on treatment.  He's been off treatment for 6 weeks...actually has been off treatment longer than been on since diagnosis last July.  I got the call this evening from Dr Talpaz's office he's to start Sprycel, 50 mg, as soon as the insurance approves and the pharmacy can send it out.  Here goes drug number 3....hopefully the 3rd one is the charm.  Right now the last thing we really need is dealing with side effects and worrying about whether or not this drug will work, but don't really have a choice.

Thanks for posting all the great discussions everyone.  I still enjoy reading and "creeping" on how everyone is doing.  Best wishes to all!

Audrey

#2 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi Audrey,

I caught up with you once since you've been back.It must be so hard on your hubby being back at work, hopefully he'll be busy enough to handle his grief and deal with the cml. I started on S after being off G for 5 weeks. I went right on 100mg. so it took a bit of adjusting to. I wish I could have started out on 50mg. The worst for me was the headaches at first but that was only for a couple weeks with him starting on 50mg. he might not even get any headaches. every single side effect from G started going away 2 days after going off it. I don't think he'll have any problem with S. I get some aches and pains but I am much older then him.Lots of luck to you both.                                                  Billie

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Given his history, Sprycel should work well and not cause the liver issues that Tasigna caused.  You should be optimistic about this switch.  Also, it is not the last TKI train leaving town.  There are other drug options available in clinical trials.  But Sprycel should be the Goldilocks solution.  Dr Talpaz is wise to start him on 50mg.  Looking forward to good reports.

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Audrey. . .all the best to you and your husband.  My condolences on his loss.  You and he are going through a lot.  Best of luck to you.

Marnie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users