Photo

On Gleevec...can you still work "9-5" job?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:09 AM

Well, not sure how valid my answer is for you since I've only been dx'd about 3 wks now... but I'm still working!  Okay, so I took a week off after being dx'd, went to work for a few days, then went on a planned vacation after that.  But I didn't let the pain slow me down too much on vacation, so if you equate that to a job, then I did "work".  (Three kids on vacation is a job for anyone, although my dh was a big help there. )

I plan to continue working, but my job is mainly a desk job with a bunch of annoying meetings thrown in.  Not very physical.  If I had to build houses, work a road crew, nurse, etc., I'm sure I'd feel differently about it.  I'm also blessed that my boss is disabled himself (wheelchair bound, and suffering from a rare disease that is slowly debilitating him), so he's completely understanding.  And I can work from home on my laptop if I need to.  I'm making plans to train someone in my group to takeover a few tasks for me so I won't totally slow down certain things if I'm not there.

I'm also going to talk to an HR rep this week, since she recommended I start doing FMLA to "protect my job".  I need to find out what that comment meant!  My boss assured me it's not an issue for him, so just need to know what she sees from her end.

Traci

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users