• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

I ditto what Susan61 said!  Your life will change, there will be new worries and new things to think about, but it does get more "normal".  Pace yourself, and realize that you can only do what you can do.  Latest advice I just got from the counselor at the cancer center was to stop myself from saying "But I SHOULD be doing more....." and tell myself that "Isn't it wonderful that I can do as much as I CAN do."  That sometimes I can only do one thing per day, but to celebrate that I got that one thing done. 

I am experiencing a lot of fatigue and cognitive disparities from my old way of life.  But apparently I was acting like superwoman, doing 9 things at one time, and now have to console myself by only doing one or two............sigh.

But camping is just around the corner, my new fabric looks great on the benches, I need to get a different color of paint than the one I tried this morning, but that should be done by tomorrow!  And the interior can then be decorated.  Just in time for Morel season!!!!!  I love hunting mushrooms..............sneaky little so and so's.........

Caroline

#22 donkatking

donkatking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Just got my results from the Onocologist today and my white blood count has dropped to 9.9 (normal 3.3 to 10.5) and the red blood count was 4.13 (normal 4.15 to 5.75).  the one thing that did concern me and i saw after I had left the Onocologist's office was the glucose level of 189 (normal 65-99).  I called the office and this may be a side effect of the Tasigna I am now on.  The Onc will be lowering my daily dose after I finish the two weeks I have left.   i have to take another EKG before my next appointment in two weeks.  I went ahead and made an appointment with my primary care physician about the high glucose level as how do you lower it if it is due to the tasigna.  I figure it may mean diet and exercise and i will discuss it with him.  I had eaten a meal before my blood draw this morning and maybe this is some of the culprit also.  Not sure!  I was just elated to have the WBC back in the normal range after only a month.  Could have jumped for joy.  Side effect seems right now to be some tingling in my feet which may be due to the high glucose, some back pain and I don't sleep very good at night.  Gotta get information about the high glucose levels and wonder if anyone else may have had this with tasigna and what they were told.  Any information would be good.  All other items on the blood report looked to be good, some alittle low and some just alittle high but my a very small percent.

#23 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

The elevated glucose was one of the reasons I wanted to go on Sprycel, and not Tasigna.  Apparently it is the Tasigna doing it.  I don't know what the solution is for it, whether it is "really" elevated and you will need treatment for diabetes or not. 

But then my glucose was what they called borderline at the time.  In retrospect, I think that doctors just see a fat person and say "Wow!  You are fat, you must have diabetes."  Because after much kerfuffling about, I looked at my long term (6 months) view of my glucose levels, and carefully ate 3 hours before this last blood test, and what do you know?  It was a 63.  Completely normal.  I think that they have been taking my blood right after I have lunch and that has caused it to spike.  i always seem to get the last appointment of the day, which means that my blood is drawn at 1 or 2 pm and I see the onc at 4 pm.

Anyway, I don't believe that you are alone with having your glucose go up with Tasigna.  Perhaps someone else out there on Tasigna will weigh in. 

Must go eat a brownie now..................can't figure out why I am fat.......hmmm, more investigation needed.

Caroline

#24 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on having reached normal blood levels in such a short time!!!!!  isn't medicine wonderful?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users