• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

I just had bad bout of plantar fasciitis (which I wouldn't wish upon my worse enemy), and am still feeling the effects. But what surprised me is that when I asked my Onc. which anti inflammatory meds I could take he said "NONE".  I'm taking Tasigna, anyone else told not to take anti inflammatories?

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#2 jrsboo

jrsboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Yup.  I am on Sprycel, but was told the same.....however, I was already on Meloxicam for tennis elbow when diagnosed, and they let me stay on that for the past three months.............just finished that round, and now elbow is acting up again.  Sigh.  I will ask about what to take when I see the onc on Thursday.

Caroline

#3 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

Wow am I ever in trouble, don't know what I would do without them.  Did your Dr. say why?  what it is about them?  is that true for all three CML drugs?  In the years I have reading and contributing here I have never read  that anti inflammatory meds are a no.  I hope someone  can clarify. Don't know what I will do about arthritis pain if true.

#4 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

I know that in the case of Sprycel anyway, I was told it is because both the Sprycel and the anti inflammatories put stress on the liver.  In the brocure for Sprycel it even warns against any alcohol for the same reason.  I am in the same boat as both of you.  I need my anti inflammatories for first, the plantar, and more serious, I have peripheral neuropathy.  I am taking neurontin for the burning pain but it doesn't help for the deep muscle pain I get from the motor neuropathy.  When everything hurts, the only thing that helps is neproxin. 

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#5 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

Which is safer, Anti-inflammatorys or Tylonal, or Aspirin?

Billie

#6 knoppl

knoppl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hold some caution with ASA as it has a blood thinning effect and if platelets are low, this is not ideal.

#7 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

All but Tylenol are anti-inflammatories, NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory 'something' can't remember). I've been told that enteric coated aspirin might be the way to go for chronic pain, it won't help for sudden onset pain because it takes an hour or so to get into your system since it is absorbed through the intestines rather than through the stomach. It is easier on the liver and the stomach if (and that is a big if) you don't already have bleeding and/or low platelet issues.

Tylenol is generally considered a no-no because of the devastating effect it can have on the liver.

I have taken all at various times but never longer than was absolutely necessary.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

WW,

Have you tried stretching exercises for plantar faciitis? Those worked better than any medication for my husband. Here are some examples http://www.aafp.org/.../0201/p467.html

Good luck!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

Yes I am doing exercises, also take PT, ultra sound, use a tens machine, heel lifts, arch supports and ice the foot. It is about 1000% better now but with warm weather approching (translate to golf weather), I'm very anxious to be as pain free as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion Pat!

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#10 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

So are we haven't heard any confirmation resposes that anti imflammatory drugs are a NO with any or all TKI's.  Where is Trey? I wish he would weigh in on this or look into it.

#11 HeatherZ

HeatherZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I had issues with plantar faciitis several years ago.  I tried all the stretches etc and what finally helped for me ws getting cortisone shots in my heels.  Yeah, they hurt like a B but by the time I put my shoes and socks on the pain was gone.  The first time I had it done I could not believe I was walking out of the doctor's office with no pain in my feet.  That was the first time in over a year that I could walk without pain.  Like I said, they hurt like heck but totally worth the 30 seconds of pain.  Good luck

#12 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

All NSAIDs are OK with TKI drugs but those with severe immunosuppression should check with their Onc first.  Tylenol is not recommended (liver issue).  Aspirin is OK unless platelets are very low.  I take aspirin, ibuprofin or naproxen when rarely I take a pain medication.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users