8 replies to this topic

#1 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone else has woken up to find small almost blotchy bruises on their legs. Mine are on my inner thigh - I hadn't knocked it and they are not painful. I'm seeing my doctor next Tuesday (22nd) and will mention it.

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

I have bruises on my legs all the time, and its been going on for years.  I do not remember banging my leg on anything.  They just pop up and then they go away.

Now I am on blood thinners, and they are telling me not to cut myself or get bruised.  Easier said than done.  I am sure your okay.

#3 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:57 AM

Hi,

What I do not understand is that, if the medication is controlling the palate < 400 which is normal, why is the occurance of bruising still happening. Since some of them are even PRCU, why brusing without knocking still happening. ?

I thought bruising is related to the palet in blood and when one's normalized it should not happen.

#4 MJL

MJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

I find them on occasion. Not daily but at least every few weeks. Usually they are on my thigh or inside my forearm. They go away eventually. I never remember a cause either.

MJL

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

There are two issues involved with blood cells for us.  The one we talk about most is the quantity (blood counts).  But CML (and possibly the side effects of TKI drugs) can result in decreased blood cell quality among the red blood cells and platelets.  For platelets, they can be poor quality (not as jagged and "sticky" but rather smoother) which can decrease clotting ability and result in increased bleeding even thogh there may be adequate quantity.  Red blood cells can be smaller than normal, so they carry less oxygen (contributes to feeling tired), even though RBC shows adequate quantity on the CBC report.

Bruising easily can occur due to this lower quality of platelets.  We can feel more tired due to the lower quality red blood cells.

#6 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Trey

I thought it probably was connected to Glivec/platlets. But after being on Glivec for 5 years this is the first time I've had bruising without a known cause so I just wanted to run it past people. I'll speak to my Dr on Tuesday anyway it could be my platelets are a little low.

Marian

#7 valiantchong

valiantchong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hi,

Pls ask your doc why is it happening, would like appreciate if you could share after enquiry.....

THank you.

#8 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

You'll just have to start using nutcrackers to open your walnuts like the rest of us.

#9 everonward

everonward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:28 AM

ROFL

Marian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users