#1 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

So I've been at this about seven months now.  In that time I have learned a lot about CML, participated in a lot of discussions and read various studies, articles, blogs, etc.  I have my good days and bad, although overall if I had to gauge while I feel better in some ways, other ways I am feeling worse.  Mostly just being tired, musculoskeletal pains, and lousy mood (winter and all this snow is not helping at all).  Since my last test when I got pretty good results back, I have been feeling ok, I've been back in that mind set of "I'm going to live a long time with this".  Ultimately though, something comes along, usually something that I read, that upsets me and changes my mood.  This happened the other day.  I have Google alerts set up daily for CML and Gleevec.  Each day I get emails with searches on the web for those topics.  Usually it is advertising for cheap Gleevec, but a lot of times it has to do with case studies, and I have learned some really good stuff.  On occasion a link will come back to someone's blog.  My curiosity always gets the best of me and I start reading, more often than not, the story is not good.  This just happened the other day when I went to someone's blog and while they are doing ok (not great), they had a tribute post to a friend.  Of course I clicked through the link and went to the friend's blog who had just past away the other day.  It was a particularly difficult story, although I will be honest I couldn't get myself to read through the whole history.  I think it hit home because it looked like he was around my age.  The thing that makes it so hard is that when you look at these blogs and you see the worst has happened, you immediately think "well how did it get to this" so you go to the older posts and start at the beginning and all the stories start out pretty much the same.  The person was diagnosed one way or another, usually out of the blue, maybe they weren't feeling well or something, we all know how it happens.  And then you start to read and you see the hope and optimism in their writing as the learn about Gleevec and the other treatment options, and you see how things start to go well and they respond well and they are happy and letting their family know that things are going to be okay.  Then over time you start to read about the bumps in the road, the set backs, the rising PCR, changes in dosage, changes in drugs, mutations or acceleration in the disease and you just start to think "that could be me".  I'm in that early stage where I am trying to be optimistic and comforted by the odds, but just like those individuals my story reads like theirs where I am filled with hope and optimism, but the reality is that I feel like a caribou at the watering hole looking around in the brush for the predator that I know is stalking me.

The point of this thread isn't about how it's going to turn out, I know what the odds are and I know I have a good chance, and I know that there is nothing I can do about it, it will play out however it will play out, and there is no point thinking about things that may never happen.  The issue is that I was feeling fine until I read about this person and then it put me in a funk.  So the question becomes how do you balance the desire to be involved and hearing things you don't want to know about?  Ignorance is bliss and if I just kept my head in the sand, I could pretend everything is fine.  Although that can lead to uneasiness too as the mind wanders on its own.  And I can't discount the other side of the coin when I read a post like Susan's from the other day and she is 13 years in and doing well.  So, much like life, there is good and bad.  I don't suppose there is an answer to this, I am just rambling on because I am particularly achy today, fighting off a cold, and ever since reading that story I have been bummed out.  I know there is no right answer, I can stick my head in the sand, but that really isn't going to work, I can let the subject consume me and become all I think about every minute of every day, that doesn't sound like much fun, or I can try to find a balance and realize that some days it is going to tip in a good direction and other days it won't.  I guess it is learning what to do with this information once I get it and how I let it affect me.

I hope I am not bringing anyone down with this, I just need to vent this out.  I could really use some warm weather and a break from this winter.  I just shoveled out from another snow storm yesterday, 14 inches!  I have six foot snow mounds along side my driveway from all the snow I shoveled the last 2 weeks.  I don't think that is helping either, I am quite sore.  Nothing like getting up early in the morning, with the typical TKI pain and soreness, dragging yourself out of bed to go shovel tons of snow in the cold, just so you can run back inside, take a shower and go to work for a full day.  Just to come home at night and play with kids and straighten up around the house.  Alright, now I'm just complaining, so its time to stop.  The playing with the kids part is actually a highlight, just wish I felt a little better so I could enjoy it more.  Of course, I could not be able to get out of bed at all.  I'm trying to keep perspective.  Could it really be that shoveling snow for two hours in freezing temperatures is a privledge?

Anyway, this is kind of a schizophrenic post, so I'm going to stop now.

Hope everyone is feeling ok today.

Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#2 janner25

janner25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I think it's great that you are so involved in learning what is happening in the world of CML.  I know it's challenging to balance though...then add onto that the fears of the unknown.  I personally think sometimes I'm in denial of everything and it's like I'm having an out of body experience because my counts rebounded beautifully and have the feeling of nothing bad will happen to me (as was obvious on my prior blog where I stopped the meds for 3 days)...but at the end of the day, I live for stories like Susan's and can only pray that in 13 years, I can put my own out there.  So hold onto those moments - and all the advancements that you are getting e-mail alerts on.  One day, there will be a cure...and all the fears we have of the unknown will be washed away.  I know I worry about the unknown - particularly for my 2 young sons - but I am trying to hold on to everything positive and not let any negative thoughts in.  Some days I'm really positive and then others just down right sad.  I think that's normal (at least I'm telling myself it is!).

Sending positive thoughts .

#3 helenet

helenet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

This will get easier, when 7 months turn into 17 months, then to 2 years, 3 years, so on.  Just continue to remember the odd are on our side.  It is normal (even for those who have had CML a little longer) to regress when we hear of someone who has passed away due to the cause and affects of CML. You are just having a bad day (or perhaps a brain freeze- I am in this weather too!).

Cheer up!!

#4 lthouse612

lthouse612

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hi Lucky,

I hear what you're saying...  I think I have come to realize that I don't read as much in here as I had in the past because of some instances where it could make me feel worse than better.  To feel worse when you're already feeling bad is something I believe most of us could do without.  Not to say there hasn't been posts that also make you feel good.  Either way I suppose knowing we're all linked together in dealing this disease it really does help to come in and at least vent and "feel" like someone else out there gets us...

I was dx back in Dec. 2006 and yes it was terribly difficult in the begining but then I really thought I was "ok" with it and handling it well.  As it turns out this is not the case.  I feel my life has turned even more upside down than it was before and it all happened so gradually, I didn't even see it coming.  I'm now in counseling with my wife of 11 years (have been since Aug, 2010) and am also on anti-depressants that we "hope" will bring me back to some kind of normalcey and happiness I use to have in my life. I've tried different ones and the experience of how they've not worked has also really taken a toll on me.  I have never "felt" depressed before in my life but was always told that depression manifests itself in many ways.  In the last couple weeks now I have truly felt depressed and like I've become disconnected with everything around me...with my life... I hate feeling this way as I've never felt so miserable and lost.  All of how I've felt has even led me to where I now have hard choices to make which will impact my life and loved ones.  Being in a state of even questioning if what I'm feeling is truly "what I'm feeling" is driving me crazy.  It's like I've been on this emotional roller coaster and no matter how much I yell to get off I can't.  I feel stuck.  Apparently from what I've gathered in counseling is I've suffered from a lot of losses  since my dx and it's been brought to my attention that maybe I haven't really comfronted these losses and accepted them and as a result here I am feeling this way. 

For the first time ever I've even been out riding my motorcycle and didn't feel good.  This just doesn't happen... I've never not felt good while riding.  It's what has always made me feel good no matter how bad I've felt.  These moods and emotions have really tested me and it's wearing me down fast.

I do find some time to distract myself from ALL the thinking and wondering.  My two boys, 5 & 9 years old, always keep me on my toes.  I think if it weren't for my having them I'd just sleep my days away now.  I know I need to do for them and I also have taken more time to spend helping them at their school 3 days of the week.  One thing I have become good at is covering up my feelings or rather "checking" them at the door.  I don't let any of how I'm feeling affect them in a negative way.  If I feel I'm up for it, I just try to take a break and miss a day here and there.  I remember there was a time where I'd feel so tired and just "done" with everything but somehow I would still push myself to take care of things around the house or still continue to work out regularly as I did before my dx.  Now it's become harder than ever to overcome the feeling of just letting things go.  I'm really hating this and the more it continues the more messed up I feel.  I have to say that I don't feel like the future is completely bleak but I do more than I have before consider my mortality and how much time I will have in life.  I have another chronic illness in addition to CML (Hep B.. been doing well with it) so it has brought up complications in some situations.

Gosh I hope this isn't sooo terribly depressing to everyone.  I do thank you for reading and letting me vent.  I really wish there was a button, or a switch we could flip to turn things off, but I suppose that's what the pills are suppose to do.  I really hate taking pills.

Well today hasn't been all that bad considering.....  The weekend weather looks to be pretty nice so I'm going to try another ride and maybe things will be different.  Take care everyone...

Mark

#5 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

You definitely put into words a lot of what I was dancing around.  All I can say is that I get it, I know how you feel.  I don't know if that helps either of us, but I get it.

2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#6 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hey, Mark. . .I was glad to see you pop up here, as I'd been getting a little worried about you.  Glad to hear that you are trying the counseling thing, and hope that it helps your situation.  Nice pic of the bike, by the way.  It was finally nice enough to ride in to work today.  Just wish I could say that I enjoyed work.  5 more years. . .wish I could just retire right now.  I sure understand what you say about trying to do more, because you just don't know how much time there is left. I am frustrated that I have to waste time with a job, when all I want to do is spend my time playing.  Feeling a bit guilty about that, though, because my brother just got laid off from his job, which he really liked. . .and he has a kid in college and a daughter getting close to college age.  His stress level has gone through the roof.  I think it's a lot harder for guys to not be the breadwinners, because our society has always said that they have to be manly and take care of their families. 

I also have difficutly finding a balance in how much to know.  Spend too much time reading and researching cml and it becomes all-encompassing and depressing.  On the other hand. . .I'm not willing to leave everything in the hands of my doc.  He's good, but he's not a cml expert.

I will say that so far I am quite happy with my change to Sprycel.  I feel a LOT better than with Gleevec.  Absolutely no G-I issues anymore, not a single incidence of hand or foot cramp.. .was having those at least twice a day.  I just hope that the first PCR test after starting Sprycel comes out with good numbers.  My old numbers were getting pretty depressing. 

If you are not feeling great, I would really recommend that you talk with your doc about the possibility of switching to Sprycel.  Some folks have problems with it, but so far for me (only 2 weeks), it's been a very positive experience.

As always, best of luck, especially with the family and mood things.  Man, this is a frustrating thing to deal with. . .people don't "get it" at all, because you don't look awful. . .so you feel guilty about letting it drag you down.  You want to talk about it, but you don't want to dwell on it.  You can't move on because you just don't feel the same and never will again.  

At least it's Friday.  I think we're going snowboarding tomorrow.  Haven't been out in 2 years. . .I will be hobbling around like a 90-year-old come Sunday morning.

Take care,

Marnie

P.S.  Despite the HUMONGOUS size, that space-age looking style, and all that chrome in your picture. . .my bmw is MUCH sexier!!

#7 SunNsand

SunNsand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

I read it all, the good, bad and the ugly. When I come across something really sad, I tell myself to skip over it. I can't do it, I feel guilty if I skip it. I feel like I owe this person the respect (I don't know them) to read their story. I'm a pretty sensitive person (per hubby) and I want to help and heal everyone if I only could. The absolute hardest part for me is coming across the children with Leukemia. I think that is the most awful thing a God could do.

CallMeLucky - you had mentioned reading about someone that had put you into a funk. I just finished reading someone's blog and they mentioned that when they get into a funk, it's time to get funky! It made me laugh so I will try and remember that one. Hope you have a better day and find your balance.

SunNsand

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Lucky,

I felt like I could have written your post when I read it. I also read that blog and out of curiosity went to the young man's website to see what the hell happened. When I was first diagnosed in Dec. '08, and before I found this site, I found the blog that the fiancee of a lovely young woman from Iowa living in S. Carolina was writing (do yourself a favor - don't get curious about this one. I'll tell you up front it does not end well and the journey is not pretty). It scared the bejesus out of me.

The people keep me coming back to this board, but what I find interesting is that the people (with very few exceptions) who post now are not, by and large, the same ones from over two years ago. Perhaps they've gotten all they need from this board and have moved on. Thank heavens for Trey and others like him - ok, there is no one else like him. Even PhilB has mentioned that he finds it hard at times to visit this board on a daily basis and needs to take breaks so CML is not the focus of his life.

Most of us don't have Trey's knowledge or Phil's wit and dry sense of humor but we do what we can with compassion and humor to make new members not quite so scared and more comfortable with the situation we have all found ourselves tossed into.

What you are feeling is absolutely normal (IMHO) but you have so much to add to this group so I hope you will persevere even though some days it's difficult to be here.

Best regards,

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  Or perhaps, CML being what it is, been there, done that, sacrificed the T-shirt when I ran out of paper...

Apart from the much better grasp of modern technology you could have been writing a description of my first few months.  I read every posting on every forum, every scientific paper, every article I could find.  It took me a while to analyse my behaviour and realise that every time I looked at CML on line I would keep going until I found something that made me so depressed I had to stop.  Good news encourages you to go and read some more, bad news gets you down and you give up so you keep on ending up on a downer.  The best thing that happened to me was a short holiday somewhere without internet connection that helped me accept that I had already learnt everything that was useful for me to know at this point, that more time searching on the net wasn't going to help and that I needed to spend more time enjoying life and playing with the kids.

I actually toyed with leaving this site entirely to stop me thinking about CML so much, but if I did then Trey would have to find someone else to start abusing so I figured I'd better stay.

I'm off now to play with number-one-son, but two parting thoughts:

1. People who are doing well don't tend to post about it.  This really skews the available information to the depressing side.  Another reason for us all to be so thankful to Susan for her wonderful posts;
  2. A dx of CML automatically makes you start thinking about your mortality.  We are all therefore, almost by definition, plunged straight into a classic mid-life-crisis.  I think this may have something to do with why there are so many posts about motorbikes on here!

#10 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

MID-LIFE CRISIS!!!!  Ouch, that hurts!!!  Dang. . .how did you know that 50 was starting to loom in the very near future.  Happy 47th to me in a couple of weeks. . .and if the weather's nice, I WILL ride my motorcycle to work that day!

#11 HPL

HPL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Callmelucky,

I think the internet is both a good and a bad thing. I have a few CML friends, and one is to the point where they shutdown their blog, since there just isn't any news lately. He's doing fine and from a CML perspective, I'm happy to call him booring. Then there are those who are doing quite well, and then suddenly things turn upside down. But ultimately, have a doctor you trust and take that person's advice. And it never hurts to have a second opinion. There are CML doctors and then there are specialists who really know CML.What I typically use the internet for is to learn about other options out there, in case my current treatment takes a turn. That is how I learned of Ariad at the time, following these discussions.

When reading your entry, I am wondering if it isn't my blog you are mentioning. One of my best friends just passed away earlier this month from CML. We had known each other for quite a few years before either one of us knew what CML even was. Then we were diagnosed within 2 years of each other, both guys turning 40. My friend went through all the treatments, and was in fact with me to OHSU before I started the Ponanitib trial. At the time he was 7 months post his transplant, and no evidence of CML. Meanwhile, I was 17/20 and going nowhere near the right direction. Now 14 months later, he is gone and I am almost PCRU (weak positive is the recent 2 tests). Guess what I am trying to say is that we don't know what tomorrow will bring, so the best we can do is to enjoy the moment, and not worry about what the future will hold for us. 

In the 4 years since my friend's diagnosis, he managed to marry his soul mate, spend time with friends, and shoot the best golf games of his shortended life....He may have been dealt a crappy hand, but he made the best out of it.

Regards,

Hans

#12 eithne01

eithne01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hi There,I was just reading yiur post and I thought  WAIT! we have all been here.

#13 eithne01

eithne01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

My last reply headed off by itself so i'll start again..It's awful hard when your feeling like this.

I don't think you can ever have enough info,but I only take on board that what suits me.(I do that in every area of my life)

When i was diagnosed in oct 2009 I thought it was the end of the world,but it wasnt.The world ends everyday for

someone and thats all it means when you get this diagnosis,It could be tommorow or 30 yrs time.Even before this diagnosis there were good days and bad days

so nothings really changed (apart from the bloody bone pain etc)I still think there are a heck of a lot of people a lot worse off than me

and negative thoughts dont pay any extra rent than positive ones.So all the good in my life outweighs the CML and that,s how i'm

gn to keep it.I'm still pretty young and a good few people i've known have died since my diagnosis and they were not related to any form of cancer.

I truly hope you can get a happy balance.

#14 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  If nothing else there is certainly something to be said for getting it out.  I had been feeling down for a couple of days when I decided to write this.  That night I felt pretty lousy, but by the next day I started to feel better.  Typical and expected I guess, something gets you down and eventually you come out of it.  I've tried to be more active about dragging myself out of it.  Over the years I had my challenges with depression so I think I've got some good skills to deal with it.  It's just getting on top of it before it gets too bad and finding something to help get out of the funk.  As SunAndSand put it, when you get in a funk, it's time to get funky.  So Saturday morning I got up, grabbed the wife and kids and we went snow tubing with the cub scouts.  If I have to deal with this miserable snow, I might as well make the best of it.  We had a great time, I busted myself up and was sore as hell afterwards, but I didn't care, it felt worth it.  I'm still fighting off a cold, but rather than see that as some CML thing, I just accept that I have a cold, I had colds before I got CML, and my immune system seems to be up to task, so I am happy about that.

Reading the blogs and other stuff have their pluses and minuses but I try to remember there is always good and bad, and even though I was a little scared to look, I tried to confront this by going out and reading a bunch of CML blogs the other day and I found a bunch that were good.  People who were doing fine, one individual who had pictures of his family on vacation and a closing line to the entry that "Life is good".  and that stroke a chord, life is good, despite the bad that comes with it.

@Pat - I will not be leaving the board anytime soon.  First, I would miss my friends, second, I'm the kind who can't stopp looking at this stuff even if I am seeing bad news.  I just have to learn to balance it better and get used to seeing the good and the bad and not immediately internalizing that.  Lastly, the people on this forum were very good to me, and continue to be, when I needed support, I plan to pay that forward.

@Hans - thank you for your comments, I believe it was your blog and your friends blog I read that day.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I can tell by your writing that he was a good friend of yours and I understand the extra sting you must feel from this loss and I am sorry for that.  I was glad to see that you have been doing well and hope that continues for a long time.

@Phil - I think you hit the midlife crisis thing right on the head, although I have to be honest, if you tell me that 38 is my "mid" and I got another 38 in me, I'll be the happiest person in the world

Thanks again to all.

Hope everyone is doing well