• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JLS

JLS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced Dental problems since starting Gleevec?

I have had low vitamin D since my diagnoses (May of 09). The levels have never come back to what they should be. However I am now taking supplements and I hope that will help, but the damage has already been done.

#2 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hi JLS,

I haven't had any issues so far, but I've read that there is the potential for Gleevec to reduce the amount of phosphate and calcium in your body. So it might also assist you to take a supplement containing Calcium and Magnesium as well. It is a good idea to leave about three hours between taking your Gleevec and taking Calcium as Calcium may inhibit the body's take up of the Gleevec.

Getting a little bit of sunlight each day will also help boost your vitamin D.

This article is from 2006 http://www.medpageto...teoporosis/3273; 2008 http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2503652/

#3 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

yep .  I was even on suppliments @ dx but not enough I guess.  Didn't know then it could mess with calcium levels, etc.  then I read an article about potential bone damage and started calcium and magnesium.  Was already on D because of sun sensitivity combined with living in the far north. 

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#4 dawnhan

dawnhan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

I was totally caught off guard by vitamin D deficiency (along with some other odd results) leading to my CML diagnosis 7 months ago.  Last month the vitamin D deficiency came back, and I've been having pretty serious mouth pain and swelling.  My hematologist said they're not related to my CML or Gleevec, but my primary doctor said he could only guess that I'm having these problems because my WBC is low (due to G) immune system is weak.

I'll try to reach my hematologist for a re-evaluation.

#5 WoofWoof

WoofWoof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence  or not, but shortly before my CML Dx. I started having dental problems. To be truthful, my teeth were not in the best condition but they deteriorated rapidly and had gum loss. This past fall I started getting a "new mouth". Complete extraction of remaining teeth, bone grafting and dentures. Now that everything has settled down, I will start the process of having implants installed for the lower dentures. It's a major finacial hit that I'm not really sure I should pay but what the h, it's only debt...errrr....money. Already with the new new dentures I look much better, eat better and have increased self-esteem.

I have cancer but it doesn't have me

#6 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

U of Penn has an entire section, or had anyway, devoted to oncological dentistry.  It is a very serious problem for all cancer patients, these drugs alone do bad things to the teeth, gums, jaws in general.  Saw a presentation of theirs out there one year, it was good, it was serious, they really are trying to help, this really is serious stuff having pretty serious impact.

Someday we'll be able to pay for this stuff and get the help to people, because right now your insurance won't pay a nickel for any of it.  

rct

#7 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

I had my first check up since starting Glivec - I advised my dentist of the antibiotics we are to avoid and also mentioned the potential side effect of a loss of calcium. She is going to keep a closer eye on the health of my teeth as loss of calcium make your teeth more susceptible to infections at the tooth's root. She also advised me to use a stronger fluoride toothpaste - one where you brush your teeth then don't eat or drink for half an hour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users