6 replies to this topic

#1 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

No one should have to feel like this. This is debilitating.

I wanted to ask if there is anyone here that has discontinued their TKI and experienced the TKI withdrawal syndrome and had to later restart the TKI at a reduced dose, then on the reduced dose, experienced the same TKI withdrawal-like/PMR-like pain?

I gave one rheumatologist a shot at helping me, taking an NSAID and muscle relaxer x 1 year, doing PT now, with no relief. He told me I did not have PMR because I was "too young." That rheumatologist since retired and my hem/Onc wants me to see one at the same research hospital where I see the hem/Onc for evaluation of inflammation. I see him on the 8th. The muscle spasms for the most part wax and wane, varying in severity and I believe the Gleevec is responsible for this.

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

tiredblood, Although it isn't typical for a young person to have PMR it isn't unheard of either.

https://patient.info...ymptoms--562373

You may just have to find a rheumatologist who is willing to see you. Did you ever have an ESR blood test done to see what your inflammation level is?

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

I had this too, and it went away when I started swimming again.
Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#4 AllTheseYears

AllTheseYears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

tired blood:  I started on Gleevec 400 mg when I was diagnosed with CML in 2001 (no other TKI available then). Undetectable within a few months. So, of course, a few years ago I thought I was an ideal candidate for cessation under my onc's supervisvion.  The withdrawal was terrible, with joint and muscle pain and fatigue nearly unbearable for about four months.  Then I had two months of feeling wonderful. Oh happy day!  But, unfortunately, my CML came roaring back and I returned to Gleevec 400 mg.  After six months of that and again posting undetectable, I went on 200 mg and have been undetectable for a year and a half at 200 mg. I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms going to the half dose. However, as I have experienced all during my 17 years on Gleevec, I still have painful muscle spasms.  I have NO doubt the muscle cramps result from Gleevec and are listed as one of the common side effects of the drug.  

Here's what I do regarding the muscle problem:  Get plenty of rest, walk (this really helps), take magnesium daily, take Ibuprofin daily and take baths in hot water.  If I don't do these things religiously, I suffer. This regimen also helps my arthritis/ inflammation (both part of the immune problems that I had before CML and might have indicated I was a CML candidate).  Maybe you can try my regimen before a doctor starts meddling and possibly makes things worse for you.  Been there. I prefer my solution.  Good luck! 

#5 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Yes, Elevated ESR and CRP. See the new rheumatologist Monday and I think I should have a more accurate diagnosis. New symptom, maybe Myositis, but will see what develops.

#6 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

tired blood: I started on Gleevec 400 mg when I was diagnosed with CML in 2001 (no other TKI available then). Undetectable within a few months. So, of course, a few years ago I thought I was an ideal candidate for cessation under my onc's supervisvion. The withdrawal was terrible, with joint and muscle pain and fatigue nearly unbearable for about four months. Then I had two months of feeling wonderful. Oh happy day! But, unfortunately, my CML came roaring back and I returned to Gleevec 400 mg. After six months of that and again posting undetectable, I went on 200 mg and have been undetectable for a year and a half at 200 mg. I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms going to the half dose. However, as I have experienced all during my 17 years on Gleevec, I still have painful muscle spasms. I have NO doubt the muscle cramps result from Gleevec and are listed as one of the common side effects of the drug.

Here's what I do regarding the muscle problem: Get plenty of rest, walk (this really helps), take magnesium daily, take Ibuprofin daily and take baths in hot water. If I don't do these things religiously, I suffer. This regimen also helps my arthritis/ inflammation (both part of the immune problems that I had before CML and might have indicated I was a CML candidate). Maybe you can try my regimen before a doctor starts meddling and possibly makes things worse for you. Been there. I prefer my solution. Good luck!

#7 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

I've pretty much done that regimen from 12/16-12/17, just a different NSAID. I'm starting to see that the hem/Onc has been following a logical, systematic approach, although the process has been slower than I'd like. I think he's on the right track.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users