6 replies to this topic

#1 minu

minu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

I had mmr within 3 months of starting nilotinib about 4 yrs back. Never lost it. The last couple of tests were undetectable. The last test was in April. Last August I went for another test but the lab informed that the sample was sub optimal. Gave another sample in September. Within 5 days of the second sample they have sent a result showing 0.66% pcr value showing the August sampling date. It is very likely they did a mistake. But the question is - is it possible for almost a year of undetected value to go up to 0.66% in five months? I am taking 400 mg tasigna for last two years. Before that I was taking 600 mg. Reducing the dose didn't change my pcru status. I am waiting for an answer from the lab. I live in Bangladesh and have to go to India for the test. Hope to hear some good news. Minu

#2 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

Usually the only way it would return with speed was if you were trialling cessation. Looks more like test error.

#3 patcanfield

patcanfield

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

what do u mean trialling cessation

#4 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Some of us have come off our TKI - under doctor supervision. There's around a 50% chance of the CML returning and if it does it comes back at a fast rate. People return to their TKI if it returns.

#5 minu

minu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

How long does it take to do the testing? Not the reporting time but actual testing procedure. Anyone knows? Thanks.

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

The actual PCR test takes approximately two hours.  It requires about 40 heating and cooling cycles which is why it takes that long to perform the test. 

The real question is how long from blood draw to testing, which should be less than 36 hours, but maybe up to 48 hours.  Also the sample must remain very cool, but not freeze.  Blood samples must remain viable since the DNA/RNA must be able to replicate.  Blood spoils rather quickly.

It is unfortunate that PCR testing has so many possibilities for error, but it does.  Keep in mind that PCR testing was designed for laboratory use, not for monitoring diseases. 

You will need to repeat the test even though the travel makes this a significant issue for you. 

#7 minu

minu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Thanks,Trey. That was helpful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users