#1 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:28 AM

It's pretty bad in Houston. The rain is relentless and M.D. Anderson is taking on water.

For those who are treated here, see links below. 

http://www.katc.com/...atient-services

https://emergencyalert.mdanderson.org/

https://www.dropbox....20170827_143728.jpg

(A view as I surveyed around where I live. This is Buffalo bayou reclaiming Farnham Park sub-division).

Our thoughts and prayers to my neighbors in Houston. The outpouring of help - neighbors helping neighbors has been tremendous. This is Texas. We do things big here. But the rain needs to stop.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 cmljax

cmljax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

Been thinking about you in Houston Scuba.  We here in Jacksonville are not strangers to these kinds of storms.  I recall once about 10 years ago where I measured 37" of rain in my backyard over a 4 day period.  Just awful.  Here's hoping it moves out faster than predicted.

Dx 9/26/16 WBC 28800; platelets 749; FISH 97% PCR 43%

Tasigna 600MG per day

October 2016                     PCR 22% IS

November 2016                 PCR 5.8% IS

December 2016                 PCR 0.1% IS  MMR!!

March 10, 2017                 PCR 0.006% IS  MR 4.22

Tasigna 450MG per day

April 5, 2017                      PCR <.003% IS

June 5, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS (dose reduction validated!!!)

Tasigna 300MG per day starting June 15, 2017

6-day drug break starting June 20, 2017 due to multiple AE's

July 24, 2017                     PCR <.003% IS

September 18, 2017          Negative, AKA PCRU

Tasigna 150mg per day starting 9/18/17

October 30, 2017               Negative

December 11, 2017           Negative

#3 ROMO

ROMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Sad to hear about all this. I did some goggling about the soils in Houston.
It's mostly river delta consisting of clays and packed sand miles deep.
Before settlement it was swamp land. And now over 2 million people.
And as Houston is relatively flat the drainage will be slow. Even after the
rains stop the water damage will continue with mold, mildew, and fungus
growth with the humid climate.

Many houses not destroyed by the rain and flooding will be toxic because
of this. People with compromised respiratory systems will need to have
their buildings inspected and cleaned of this inside the wall danger.
Flooded cars will also have latent damage with corroded electrical
assemblies. It goes on and on. 

This will be a big event for sometime to come.
Good luck to all with Gods speed.

Romo

DX August 2016. WBC ~160K
PH+ Cells 36%
No Spleen enlargement
No Symptoms. Other counts ~Normal
BCR-ABL p210 (Detected)
BCR-ABL p190 (Not Detected)

Sprycel 100mg.
PCR   02/01/2017    0.146 IS
PCR   08/07/2017    0.022 IS
Next PCR:           12/XX/2017

#4 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Scuba and all affected by Harvey - So sorry for this awful mess!  We're still making repairs to our vacation house after Matthew from last October, and it was (only!) a Category 2 when it hit us direct.  Although clean-up is like London after the Blitz, I know our greatest sorrow is the loss of mature trees - for us mostly the tall pines.  Never again in our lifetimes will we have shade again or hear the comforting, constant whispering.  But for Houston it'll probably be centuries-old live oaks with their feet under salty water for too many weeks to come.  I am just so sorry.  I can only imagine all the hard work in trying to keep MD Anderson operational and serving its patients.  Good luck to all!

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#5 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

Scuba and all affected by Harvey - So sorry for this awful mess!  We're still making repairs to our vacation house after Matthew from last October, and it was (only!) a Category 2 when it hit us direct.  Although clean-up is like London after the Blitz, I know our greatest sorrow is the loss of mature trees - for us mostly the tall pines.  Never again in our lifetimes will we have shade again or hear the comforting, constant whispering.  But for Houston it'll probably be centuries-old live oaks with their feet under salty water for too many weeks to come.  I am just so sorry.  I can only imagine all the hard work in trying to keep MD Anderson operational and serving its patients.  Good luck to all!

"But for Houston it'll probably be centuries-old live oaks with their feet under salty water for too many weeks to come."

The flooding is from fresh rainwater. Houston is inland 60 miles from the coast. All the water you see is freshwater. Falling oaks is a problem with the saturated ground. Pines are fine. So far no wind, but that could change.

DIU0S1wUQAAA_QZ.jpg

Edited by scuba, 28 August 2017 - 11:59 AM.

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#6 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

Freshwater, but with undoubted pollutants.  At any rate, they don't like their roots deprived of oxygen for too many weeks!

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

It's getting worse at M.D. Anderson and the entire Texas Medical Center:

https://www.statnews...n-harvey-flood/

The rain is letting up a bit - instead of 3 - 5 inches of rain and hour it's down to 1 inch an hour.

We have another 24 hours of this before rain ends and then bayou's have to drain.

For those who want to donate to help those in most need, JJ Watt, top defensive lineman of the Houston Texans has set up a Houston flood relief fund. Please donate if you can.

https://www.youcarin...neharvey-915053

#8 Melanie

Melanie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Praying for you Scuba and all those affected by Harvey. Thanks for the pictures and updates. During the midst of such a disaster, it's heartening to see all the neighbors helping and giving aid where they can. It's also good to see that MDA is still able to take care of all the in patients there and had plans in place and ready to execute in these extreme conditions. Such devastation is hard to see and comprehend, having absolutely nothing to compare it to. Our hearts go out to all those affected.

Take care Scuba! Will be donating at the collection sites already set up in our community to be delivered to Texas.
Dx - 05/2011; PCR: 15.04; Fish: 87% Slow responder due to pancytopenia. Current - Bosulif - Nov: 2012, Mar 2016 lowered to 300 mg. 07/16 back to 400 mg. Clinical trial drug, Promacta, Feb 2013, for low Platelets.
CyCR - Aug 2014, Positive for 1 chromosome Sep 2015. PCR: 12.77 in Oct, 2012 to 0.04 (MDA) in Mar, 2016. 4/2016 - 0.126 (Local lab (IS); 05/2016 - 0.195 (local); 6/2016 - 0.07 (MDA); 7/2016 - 0.03 (local) 9/13/2016 - 0.16 (MDA); 9/26/2016 - 0.31 (MDA); 11/2016 - 0.012 (local); 01/2017 - 0.24 (MDA); 04/2017 - 0.09 (MDA); Cytogenetics show der(1:7)(q10;p10)7 chromosome mutation. Repeat of Sep 2015. PCR - 6/2017- 0.035 (local); 10/2017- 0.02 (MDA)

#9 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:19 AM

I hope that the rain stops soon and that the long process of recovery can get underway.

I hope that MDA is able to continue its work to the greatest extent possible.

#10 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

Just dropped by to send my best wishes to all those affected and hope the clear up goes well.  Looks like you've got an awful lot of new dive sites nearby Scuba, but I don't think the visibility will be that good!

#11 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

Just dropped by to send my best wishes to all those affected and hope the clear up goes well.  Looks like you've got an awful lot of new dive sites nearby Scuba, but I don't think the visibility will be that good!

Well ... I thought about it, but I don't like snakes. And now we have snakes everywhere. A few alligators are showing up (don't like them either) and for some reason, a zillion frogs. When the sun does come out (there still is a sun, correct?), it will heat up back into the 90's and that's going to feel just great. An outdoor sauna.

#12 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

Yikes!  I've dived a wreck infested with highly venomous sea snakes (SS Yongala in Australia) and I really did NOT like the experience.  Add in the alligators and I wouldn't be going out without a suit of armour!  Good luck sleeping with the noise of all those frogs...

#13 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

Yikes! I've dived a wreck infested with highly venomous sea snakes (SS Yongala in Australia) and I really did NOT like the experience. Add in the alligators and I wouldn't be going out without a suit of armour! Good luck sleeping with the noise of all those frogs...

On the plus side Phil you didn't run into any salties. :-)

#14 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

Got notice today that patients are being flown in on military planes.
Edited to clarify: TX patients in general will be flown in to another state in the Southeast beginning 9/1 to go to local hospitals as needed.

#15 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

http://time.com/4919...medical-center/

#16 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

We are thinking about you folks down there, and we've already started sending money.  You have a tough road ahead of you and our hearts break for you.

rct

#17 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Scuba...hows it going for you now?
Up here in College Station we even had 20 inches in some places but all roads are draining and reopening. MD Anderson will begin taking out patients again on Monday.

I spoke with Kathy and Dr. Cortes briefly on Thursday about my BCR-ABL resuls and they were working as usual, no comment on storm effects. About what id expect from these fine professionals. But the builing in general seems to have faired alright. Not sure about the Medical center tunnels.

Many of my friends out by the Addicks reservoire escaped the deluge of the water release...those in Kingwood had much higher waters hopefully, the waters in your neighborhood will crest at a low number. Flood waters are so unmerciful.

The pics you posted were A few days ago cresting in some places has not happened...how are things now?
Hope your area has electricity and the cleanup goes as smoothly as possible...this terrible flood will be with us for many months if not years.

Best to you and yours. Prayers for the entire region, donations are so important for the recovery of so many. Hope everyone that can will rally to support those in need.

#18 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, Deb 

We're fine. I knew not to buy property near a bayou! We are high and dry, but surrounded by the Army Corp of Engineers Dam release water. It's hard getting around when many of the streets I live near cross the bayou and are flooded as they release the water.

It is most impressive, but sad to see such beautiful homes inundated. It's clear Addicks and Barker dams were not sufficient for this kind of storm. But it is a rare event. I don't expect to see another one like this in my lifetime.

Here is private drone footage taken by our village police department over our area:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Houston will recover, of course, it's an impressive can-do city and already efforts are everywhere at clean-up and restoration. Most business', especially restaurants, food stores and supplies are open as normal. It's just that traffic is horrendous with so many street closures around the creeks and bayous. Houston is so flat that water flows quite slow. It will be another week or so before water drains low enough to re-open flooded main roads east of the dams. 

M.D. Anderson is fine - up on the eight floor where the Leukemia section is located. Down on the first floor they had flooding damage, but not too bad. Most of the staff are back to full schedule. I will be there in a couple of weeks for my 3-month check and will be able to see first hand at that time and see the recovery made.

Anyone reading this - please contribute if you can to reputable relief organizations. There are so many people who will need help in restoring their homes and lives. Many will have to find new places to live. 

http://www.kiplinger...ef-efforts.html

JJ Watt - Houston's top defensive linebacker for the Texans started a flood relief fund that has surpassed anyone's wildest expectations at over $16.5 million !! 

https://www.youcarin...neharvey-915053

The kindness of so many strangers of all stripes helping everyone in need has been very heart warming. Texas is a can-do community, but the agencies are overwhelmed with this. Seeing trucks, rescue and relief coming from all over the country - descending down on the city to help is amazing. Much of it is citizen to citizen. Fortunately we had no wind with this storm, so electric supply has not been an issue.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

#19 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

In Brisbane we called our helpers "the mud army", once the waters went down there was just layers of mud. People came from everywhere to help out.
Apart from the impact of losing things was the fights with the insurance companies (for those that had insurance). The rules about what insurance companies could put in their policies was changed following 2011.

#20 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

High Levels of Carcinogen Found in Houston Area After Harvey

https://www.nytimes....ro-benzene.html

I wonder if leukemia/CML cases uptick statistically in Houston as a result of Harvey. It would probably take 3-5 years from now to happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users