• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Friendinneed

Friendinneed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hello! I am new here. I have a question regarding a relative who has CML. In the past several months, my relative was told she had entered an accelerated phase and was showing signs of a blast crisis. She was told that she needed a bone marrow transplant, but could not receive one at that time, because her previous chemo treatments had caused liver damage. She appears to be out of the woods at the moment in terms of blast crisis, but continues to have liver damage. I am trying to help her research some treatments to deal with this. Does anyone know of a drug that could help heal her liver? She of course has an oncologist, but this is an ongoing problem, so thought I would ask here to see what people knew about dealing with liver damage from chemo. I would be so grateful if anyone could help point me in the right direction. Thank you so much.

#2 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

There is a BMT forum on this site they may be able to help with more info. Hope everything goes well for your friend.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

If your friend has only taken the CML TKI drugs (Gleevec, Sprycel, Tasigna, etc) then the liver damage is probably not actual damage but may instead be drug induced elevated liver enzymes.  But if the friend had actual chemotherapy treatment (drip line type) that is another issue.  If such chemo was used, then the improvement in blast phase symptoms is only temporary and they will soon fade.  The liver cannot be forced to heal. 

Also, liver function tests must include all the types of tests to rule out false information about the liver.  The liver is not always the source of the elevated enzymes which presumably show liver damage.  It is hard to diagnose actual liver damage.If only ALT and AST are being used by the doctor, that is not good enough.

If the liver is the only thing preventing proceeding with the transplant, it may require proceeding anyway despite possible liver issues.  A patient must sometimes choose which issue is worse and deal with that one, which is likely the CML.

Edited by Trey, 19 July 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#4 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:51 AM

Trey your insight is as always a breath of fresh air

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users