#1 SandyG353

SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

Hi everyone.  Earlier I reported that my daughter had swelling in the lumph nodes between her lungs.  A doctor put a tube down her throat and aspirated the nodes to determine what it is.  So far the disease, Sarcoidosis  has been ruled out.   The doctor is now awaiting the results testing for fungus.  The procedure used made my daughter fill with mucous.  The doctor prescribed levaquin on Friday because things weren't getting better.  The levuaquin had to be stopped because my daughter experience shortness of breath and the feeling that something was caught in her throat.In addition, it caused vision problems.  I bought her mucinex which helped.  This question is for the person who had the fungus in the lymph node.   What antibiotic were you given for the fungus?

Now the pulmonary doctor said that she wants to do redo the procedure because she didn't remove enough to test for lymphoma.  I do know that Dr. Druker stated that he never had a patient with CML who developed lymphoma.  I told my daughter not to go through the procedure again because it was painful and caused difficulty breathing.  I suggested going to another doctor for a third opinion.  Having read about a fungus in the lymph node, it stated that there is pain in the lymph node until the swelling goes down.  The pulmonary doctor is trying to say that it isn't causing pain, and she saw something else like a fibroid and needs another chest x-ray.

What are your thought?

Trey- what do you think?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

A person does not "get fungus in a lymph node".  The lymph nodes can swell from fighting any one of bacterial, viral, or fungal infections in the body.  But the fungus does not reside in that one specific node where she has the swelling.  So if she has a fungus infection it is in the body, not in that one node.  Histoplasmosis is one example of a fungal infection of the lungs which could cause swelling in nearby lymph nodes:

http://www.mayoclini...on/con-20026585

Overview of lymphangitis:

http://www.healthlin...gitis#Overview1

I obviously don't know what it is.  But if she only has one swollen node, it does not necessarily suggest lymphoma, lymphangitis, or much else.  It could have been swollen for years from an infection long ago.  She would not know since it is deep inside.  And it may not be the source of her pain.  Maybe more diagnostics could help, but maybe not. 

#3 SandyG353

SandyG353

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Trey, thank you so much for your response. The doctor who did the biopsy of the lymph nodes said that the biopsy will be received in a few weeks  You are correct in saying that it isn't just one lymph node affected.  Now I found out that the doctor aspirated more than one lymph node in the area between the lungs.  Thank you for clarifying that the lymph node would not be the one to have fungus in it , and that it is swollen because the body is fighting an infection or fungus.  The doctor did not make that clear to my daughter.  My daughter was under the impression that it was fungus or infection in the lymph node.  I will tell her and advise her to call the doctor.  Even though she stopped the levaquin, she still has difficulty breathing and is very tired.  We don't know whether that is from the infection/fungus

or her taking Zertac D.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users