3 replies to this topic

#1 Dina36

Dina36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Got CML almost 5 years ago and for the last 4 years I've always used Miraca Life Scinces lab for my PCR testing, (I think they use International Standard).
Now my new insurance wants me to send my PCR to LabCorp, (had no idea LabCorp can do PCR testing) they say Miraca is out of network and I will be reposnsible for 50% of the cost.

I don't know what to do and what standard LabCorp use. Should I just stay with Miraca and pay 50%?
Is it important to stay with the same lab?

Dina

#2 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:03 AM

I hope your isurance has vetted Lab Corp. Somebody here should be able to comment on their experience with them.

Have there been any significant changes in your results recently? If not, you should be able to move forward with confidence using the new lab consistently.

#3 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

You might also ask your onc what he thinks about the switch to LabCorp.  He may have had good results from them.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#4 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

A study published in the last few days evaluated Theranos' blood tests for lipids compared to conventional testing (represented by Labcorp and Quest). They found unacceptable differences between in the Theranos results (coming in too low) but the researchers also said they found surprising variability in the conventional results.

The lesson is not to make hasty decisions based on a single test in isolation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users