12 replies to this topic

#1 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

So I am in the middle of marriage break up and divorce and all that crap.  And it feels like my adrenal glands work 24/7.  I wake up in the middle of the night - almost every night at 3 AM.  So Im not getting rest, not eating properly, etc...

My question is - can this effect my CML?  I know what stress is supposed to do to the immune system, but when it comes to CML and or the treatment of it - does it really make a difference?  I dont know what Ill do if it does (stay in a loveless marriage after 3 years of seperation?)... but its something that worries me.  Its not like I needed any more stress in my life (thanks, CML :angry: ).

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#2 Karen06410

Karen06410

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

Hi JPD:

I am sure stress can effect any illness including CML.  I am so sorry you are going thru such a hard time in your personal life.  Bad stress is never good for anyone whether or not ill.  I am sure if you ask your dr. or any dr. that knows anything about CML, they would say try to stay stress free.  But how does one do that when they have this disease.  It is very difficult to not be stressed.  I don't know if any of this helps, but maybe a tiny bit.  I do know how you feel though.  I am stressed to the max right now, since my dr. just told me today that my PCR # when from 3 to 4, and I have to increase my gleevec to 800 mg. and have another bone marrow bio. (this will # 3).  So how long have you had CML?  Well all I can do for you is pray that you will somehow get thru this divorce with as little stress as possible.  Take care and try to have a good sleep.  If needed take 2 tylenol PM's and call me in the morning. :P  (a little dr. humor).

#3 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

JPD - I don't know the answer to your question about CML and stress.  But as for the stress of the divorce you're going through, the usual advice applies:  it would be worth it to see a therapist, even for only a few sessions; take care of yourself the way you know you should:  eat right, get outside, exercise in a way you like, keep to a good sleep/wake schedule; and lastly, try to change your perspective on this as a challenge and an opportunity - the goal is to come out on the other side with a better, LESS stressful life.  On divorce in general - keep to the high road - can't stress that enough - because when it's all over, a good conscience is going to be your key to a good rest-of-your-life.  Which you have all ahead of you!

P.S. When I start that waking up at 3 AM thing (and/or 5 AM), I know it's a sign that Something Big is on my mind.  You know what yours is, so at least you don't have to puzzle it out.  Try this to get back to sleep:  tell yourself that you know what this is about, think a LITTLE bit about any possible grand revelation the waking up might have revealed (prob'ly nuthin' there), that the time for thinking and doing is in the daytime and that you promise yourself you will take it up tomorrow, but right now you must put the monkey mind to sleep.  Then try to empty your mind by the meditation method (small "m"), because you have "freed" yourself from thinking.  (You CHOOSE not to think.)  This usually works for me, but it takes practice.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#4 Dona_B

Dona_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

One of the things I like about cancer is that one doesn't have to fight it alone. It's generally recognized that one needs support. I have gone through a couple of life changing events, one with support and one seemingly cut off. The one cut off I have to wonder if it was made to look like I jumped ship, when in reality I was pushed out. CML has been much easier because of that support. And, while as nice as this forum is, sometimes one just needs someone with skin on to things over with, who will ask questions to clarify, and many times things will be clearer after that. I hope you have a someone or two like that. Three years is a long time to be separated.

DX 1/14; Sprycel 100 Mg, liver toxicity; Sprycel 80 Mg; down to 50 Mg for 5 months. Numbers going up. Back to 80 Mg 10/16 (with 50s slipped in to use up) BCR/ABL: .0047 12/15; .0302 4/16;  .0528 8/16;  .084 10/16; .045, 1/17 back up on 80 mg Sprycel; .006, 3/17; .016, 7/17; Shingles 8/17

#5 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

thanks all.  The stress has been HUGE lately, I think Im suffering from addrenal fatigue, too.  Walking around daily with my lizard brain highly engaged in fight or flight mode has been taxing to say the least.

life sucks then you (hope to not) die :wacko:

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

Call me - I'm usually up then, too!  :) Kat, I'm going to give your postscript a try, I know why I'm waking up and I have no control over the situation that is causing me such stress. Your idea might work for me, thanks.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, hannibellemo, I just realize I stole it from Scarlett O'Hara:  "I can't think about getting Rhett back now, I'll think about that tomorrow.  After all, tomorrow is another day!" (paraphrase.) 

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

kat,

That's funny because I refer to some of my moments as "Gone with the Wind" moments, but I'm referring to, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"   :D

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:46 PM

"After all, tomorrow is another day to break wind."

-- Gone With the Breaking of Wind

#10 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:06 AM

Have you guys been eating beans again?  Everytime I make bean soup I get locked out of the house. Evidentily Sprycel and Bean Soup don't go together..

#11 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

JPD I truly believe stress was the main factor causing my CML. Just before my diagnosis I was under a huge amount of stress.

#12 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:11 AM

Tens of millions of people are under a great deal of stress and only a few thousand people are diagnosed with CML.

So don't stress yourself about stress causing CML.  Of course, once you have CML, you need all of the energy you can muster,

so it could improve your overall health by minimizing stressors.

#13 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

JPD
Divorce is huge anytime.
So are you working with anyone ?? like a Psychologist or counselor to help you process these stressors?

You are asking us about the effect of stress on CML and surely you know stress in general is just not good for anyone.
But honestly....getting rid of stress will not cure CML either. So, Right now the main thing is that you try to focus on ways to improve your overall quality of life. No one needs to live with the middle of the night terrors. You have CML and you are getting divorced, but you still have choices about your behavior and control over how you feel.

Please consider getting some help to work through this grief you surely must be experiencing from the loss of your partner/marriage. With some professional help you can get through this and create a good life for yourself, despite your CML.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users