9 replies to this topic

#1 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

Mrs has been wrestling with Gleevec for over 9 years now, and it isn't getting any easier.

Recent attempts at reduction have worked well down to a point, PCR starts back up.  So she has been at 300 a day for most of this year, stays PCRu at that.

The side effects are debilitating at the least, after 9 years they are nearly unliveable, and I am aching for her.  She is thinking about changing, and the good stuff about off label use of Tasigna was a little bit of a nudge for her.  We will take it up with the onc in December, just start talking about it so she can get used to the idea.  No sudden moves here, it's been slow and steady since 2006 so you go with that if it is working.

Tell me, anyone, of your Gleevec to Tasigna change.

Thank You.

rct

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

rct - when her PCR nudges back up - what is the value?

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

In recent years not much to talk about numbers wise.  Long time ago we saw what a couple weeks off would do, and that was a fairly rapid rise from .00x to .x, so we don't let it go long enough, we know what will happen.

rct

#4 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

rct, please forgive me if I'm going over previous ground, but is switching to Sprycel a possibility?  I was totally miserable on Gleevec for two years, but the switch to Sprycel was like night to day for me.  (A GRAY day, not a SUNNY day, but nevertheless. . . better.)  I have been under the impression that Tasigna is "just a stronger Gleevec" but I could be completely (probably am) wrong.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#5 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:29 AM

Switching from gleevec to tasigna saw a significant improvement in QoL for me. Would definitely recommend giving it a try...

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#6 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

rct, please forgive me if I'm going over previous ground, but is switching to Sprycel a possibility?  I was totally miserable on Gleevec for two years, but the switch to Sprycel was like night to day for me.  (A GRAY day, not a SUNNY day, but nevertheless. . . better.)  I have been under the impression that Tasigna is "just a stronger Gleevec" but I could be completely (probably am) wrong.

Yes, Spyrcel is also a possibility kat73.

rct

#7 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

My side effects on Sprycel are far less than those on Gleevec.  I'm keeping reasonable numbers at half dose of Sprycel (50 mg).  When she makes the switch (if she makes a switch), be sure that she takes a drug break before starting the new meds (mine was a week, I think), and start at a lowered dosage, if possible.  Sprycel is notorious for severe headaches at the start, but reduced starting dosage kept the headache tolerable for me.  Full dosage for a couple of years resulted in pleural effusion, so my doc is now content with half dosage and not quite PCRu.

I hope that a switch of drugs, whichever one she chooses, helps.

Good luck,

Marnie

#8 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

I'll add on here to Marnie - I was prepared to get "the Sprycel headaches" but I never got a single one, so - you never know.  (Until you try.) I also didn't take any time off in between, although many experienced people here, like Marnie, advocate doing that.  I certainly see the logic.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#9 rnowinski

rnowinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

Mrs has been wrestling with Gleevec for over 9 years now, and it isn't getting any easier.

Recent attempts at reduction have worked well down to a point, PCR starts back up.  So she has been at 300 a day for most of this year, stays PCRu at that.

The side effects are debilitating at the least, after 9 years they are nearly unliveable, and I am aching for her.  She is thinking about changing, and the good stuff about off label use of Tasigna was a little bit of a nudge for her.  We will take it up with the onc in December, just start talking about it so she can get used to the idea.  No sudden moves here, it's been slow and steady since 2006 so you go with that if it is working.

Tell me, anyone, of your Gleevec to Tasigna change.

Thank You.

rct

I was on Gleevec for a year and the the side effects were a b##ch. I was then switched to Tasigna. I did exactly as I was suppose to. I took it at the same time everyday, I did not eat 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking it, And I drank a ton of water. Within 2 months the Tasigna caused liver damage. I was then switched to Sprycel. LOVE IT. However, my left leg is having trouble with water around the bone. It is so painful that I can barely walk. They do not know it is the Sprycel or a vertebrae disk. I am going to an Orthopedic tomorrow. I hope it is not the Sprycel because I have not had any other side effects.

#10 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

I was on Gleevec for about 3 months before the switch to Tasigna. I'm PCRU now after 5 years. Make the change and don't look back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users