7 replies to this topic

#1 MsLaLa

MsLaLa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

Has anyone tried getting Disability? I have multiple health conditions and alot of Dr. appts which are making it difficult for me to work. I applied last month and just wondering what my chances are of being approved.
🌺MsLaLa

#2 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

I remember a couple of people have mentioned being on disability in the past. Maybe search that word. Personally I'd like to retire, but now that my side effects are simmering down I see it's good to work as long as I can. FMLA allows up to 12 weeks of protected time off. Not paid unless you have sick or vacation hours but they can't fire you for absences while under it. It covers dr appts too.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#3 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

I think some of the comments suggested it is a good idea to get a lawyer to help with your application and that you will probably need to apply more than once.

#4 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

I am on disability.  I would try filing first. if they turn you down you can secure an attorney then.   CML alone rarely gives you disabled diagnosis, but you mentioned you have other health issues. 

The paperwork is not long and then they do all the leg work, you provide doctors names, hospitals, testing, diagnosis and they do all the work.  My claim was not denied, but I know many who have had their denied a few times. Then the attorney can help with an appeal. 

One thing I would do if you are considering in any manner is get the ball rolling because it takes months for claims to be decided, and be ready, because they will ask you many questions and have you send in paperwork constantly for a while.  I had copies of all my tests since my diagnosis, so it was fairly easy to complete application.

Good luck whatever you choose.  If you are awarded a disability claim, you will receive back pay benefits from the day you file.  Another important note, if you are awarded the claim it will be two years before you will receive medical benefits via disability.  This is another reason why you want to file as soon as you can, when awarded the date you filed begins your 2 year waiting period. 

Check out the applications and see if you are comfortable filling them out yourself.

Best of luck to you.

#5 MsLaLa

MsLaLa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

Thanks.

It's not the CML alone which is making it tough to work it's my combined conditions. I did apply for disability, I actually went to their office and did the application there, it wasn't hard at all as I went prepared. So now is the waiting game (sigh)
🌺MsLaLa

#6 dlb65

dlb65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

What type of Disability are you referring to? State? Social Security? What about private or employee offered plans such as those offered by The Standard or Guardian?

#7 MsLaLa

MsLaLa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

Dlb65 I'm referring to Social Security Disability
🌺MsLaLa

#8 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

I was denied until I made it to trial. From the date of applying until I was approved was right at 2 years. But I was awarded back pay. The insurance is such a relief. Good luck. I applied without an attorney, but found a reputable one that only does disability after my first denail letter. Get an attorney if you are denied at the first step. The professional advice on how to word your answers is a HUGE key to being approved. So many of our government systems is such a huge joke. The average person doesnt know the ropes. 

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users