Photo

Pneumococcal Pneumonia Vaccination shot.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarieC

MarieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDelaware USA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hello all, I have been a lurker for almost 2 yrs. Dx. Aug. 2013, and have all the problems and side affects some are experiencing.  I was at my Primary Dr. this morning and she mentioned to me to ask my Onc. if she suggests that I get the Pneumonia shot, called Prevnar 13.  It is not a live virus like the shingles shot, but the pneumonia shot affects the immune system, and she also mentioned if my Onc. says fine go ahead, to make sure that I wait one month after getting the Pneumonia shot before I get the flu shot.

Has anyone had any experience with  this Prevnar 13 shot, and if so, what were the affects if any. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

MarieC

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

MarieC,

Welcome! My onc recommended the shot and I did have it done. I think they are only good for 5 years and I believe they no longer recommend getting them at the same time as the flu shot. 

Good luck!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

My onc gave the ok to get the pneumonia vaccines, flu, Tdap, and shingles. My PCP gave them to me @ 3-4 weeks apart so we knew which ones caused any side effects. The shingles vaccine caused a tiny rash.  No other side effects from any of them.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#4 MarieC

MarieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDelaware USA

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback Hannibellemo and Antilogical.  I  feel more comfortable now that I know others have had the pneumonia vacc. with no major problems.   I am sure my onc. will say OK, but since my Dx., everything I put into my body, or on it, has given me some side affect that never happened before I was diagnosed, so I tread  lightly and fearfully. 

I am an elderly Sr. Citizen, who thought my "Golden Years" would be Golden, but as my Sr. lady friend said to me,

"the only thing Golden about me  is my P**!"  She  keeps me smiling  when I least feel like it.

I am happy I found this board, I have learned more from here than from my Onc. and knowing there are others with the same Dx. makes me feel I am not so alone and different. Thanks again.

MarieC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users