Photo

AST now normal range - possibly due to Turmeric?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mdszj

mdszj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

All

Thought some people may be interested in this.  For about the last couple years my AST numbers have been slowly creeping up and reached a new high of 60 U/L (ref range is 10-35 U/L) in March 2015, as measured by Quest Lab.  My ALT was high also (48 U/L vs ref range of 9-46 U/L). 

In my last visit in April, my local hemo told me if my AST hits 90 he is going to cut my Sprycel dose.  So then I decided to start taking turmeric and have been taking about 2-3 teaspoons total every day, with a little black pepper and olive oil.

I just got my latest blood numbers back in June 2015 and my AST was 33, and ALT was 24.  My PCR is still at 0.00% IS, so it did not interfere with that.

Now I am thinking of starting to take the daily curcumin pills like Scuba does.  Unfortunately the turmeric concoction I mix up with water tastes really bad and I have gotten sick of it real fast.

ALso there seem to be a ton of papers on curcumin and its prevention effects on various cancers (blood, GI, etc).  This is good, as I was just diagnosed with smoldering myeloma this past January 2015.  However, at this time it does not require any treatment (just monitoring) and so far it appears to be stable so that is good.

dx cml 7/2012; 100 mg sprycel; splenectomy 9/2012; reached prcu 10/2013; dx smoldering myeloma 1/2015; 80 mg sprycel 12/2015; 50 mg sprycel 7/13/16; discontinued sprycel 11/15/16

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

No one can say for certain, but most blood counts tend to normalize over time anyway while taking TKI drugs. 

#3 kat73

kat73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC area

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

Mine have fluctuated over the years, but mostly stay normal.  Doc doesn't seem to worry at all.  60 and 48 are not high enough for his concern, but mine have been there, like yours.  Obviously, if there's a sustained trend upward of that, you'd want to look into it.

Dx July 2009 on routine physical.  WBC 94.  Started Gleevec 400 mg Sept 2009.  MMR at 2yrs.  Side effects (malaise, depression/anxiety, fatigue, nausea, periorbital edema) never improved.  Kidney issues developed because of Gleevec.  Switched to Sprycel 70 mg in Aug 2011.  Above side effects disappeared or improved.  Have been MR3.5 - 4.5 ever since.  Two untreated pleural effusions followed by one treated by stopping Sprycel Jan 2017.  After 9 weeks, PCR showed loss of MMR; re-started Sprycel at 50 mg and in 3 months was back to <0.01% IS.  Pleural effusion returned within a couple of months, same as before (moderate, left side only).  Stopped Sprycel 50 mg for 12 weeks; pleural effusion resolved.  At about a monthoff the drug, PCR was 0.03; at 11 weeks it was 2.06 - lost CCyR? Have returned to 50 mg Sprycel for 3 weeks, intending to reduce to 20 mg going forward.

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

All

Thought some people may be interested in this.  For about the last couple years my AST numbers have been slowly creeping up and reached a new high of 60 U/L (ref range is 10-35 U/L) in March 2015, as measured by Quest Lab.  My ALT was high also (48 U/L vs ref range of 9-46 U/L). 

In my last visit in April, my local hemo told me if my AST hits 90 he is going to cut my Sprycel dose.  So then I decided to start taking turmeric and have been taking about 2-3 teaspoons total every day, with a little black pepper and olive oil.

I just got my latest blood numbers back in June 2015 and my AST was 33, and ALT was 24.  My PCR is still at 0.00% IS, so it did not interfere with that.

Now I am thinking of starting to take the daily curcumin pills like Scuba does.  Unfortunately the turmeric concoction I mix up with water tastes really bad and I have gotten sick of it real fast.

ALso there seem to be a ton of papers on curcumin and its prevention effects on various cancers (blood, GI, etc).  This is good, as I was just diagnosed with smoldering myeloma this past January 2015.  However, at this time it does not require any treatment (just monitoring) and so far it appears to be stable so that is good.

Don't tell Trey this - he thinks Curcumin/Turmeric is voodoo magic potion suitable for Dominican vacation rituals.

The Curcumin in the Turmeric is what is normalizing your liver enzymes. It is extraordinarily good for the liver. Silymarin is good for your liver as well (and NO, Trey, Silymarin is not the name of a senior rock group - don't confuse it for Sily Marin).

You might consider taking your concoction (the way you mixed it is excellent by the way) and mixing it with food (topping over veggies). That might make it taste better.

p.s. Once I started taking Curcumin some years ago, my liver enzymes became rock solid in the middle of the range. Not a blip of any kind since ...

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#5 mdszj

mdszj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

Thx to everybody who replied to this.post.

Scuba - I thought I saw a post of yours where you said that the curcumin also made your hemoglobin or hematocrit numbers improve into the normal range.  Both of mine are usually a little low but have never been a problem.

ALso what is the brand of curcumin you take?

thx

dx cml 7/2012; 100 mg sprycel; splenectomy 9/2012; reached prcu 10/2013; dx smoldering myeloma 1/2015; 80 mg sprycel 12/2015; 50 mg sprycel 7/13/16; discontinued sprycel 11/15/16

#6 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

I'm on Plavix and aspirin for another problem If I ever had to go on a blood thinner like coumadin or xarelto  if I ever took curcumin I would bleed very bad if I just nicked myself.

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Thx to everybody who replied to this.post.

Scuba - I thought I saw a post of yours where you said that the curcumin also made your hemoglobin or hematocrit numbers improve into the normal range.  Both of mine are usually a little low but have never been a problem.

ALso what is the brand of curcumin you take?

thx

Curcumin has no effect on hemoglobin or hematocrit numbers in people that I am aware. Curcumin is an iron chelator, in fact, and for people with very low iron stores, could increase anemia risk:

http://www.bloodjour...so-checked=true

"Collectively, these results demonstrate that curcumin has the potential to affect systemic iron metabolism. There are 2 important implications of these results. First, iron chelators have been shown to exert antitumor effects, both through the formation of redox-active iron complexes55 and by iron depletion.24 Thus, reduction in systemic iron resulting from the use of curcumin in the setting of a low-iron diet may contribute to the anticancer activity of curcumin. Second, curcumin may have the potential to contribute to the development of anemia in patients with marginal iron status. This may be an important consideration when curcumin is used to treat patients with marginal or depleted iron stores or those exhibiting the anemia of cancer and chronic disease."

Men are not as susceptible to this as women. Men, in fact, if meat eaters, usually have too much iron and Curcumin is a great modulator of excess liver iron stores and has been proven to be very effective at protecting the Liver (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24063989) in general.

My hemoglobin and hematocrit numbers were always below normal (along with RBC's) during my Sprycel days. Once I stopped Sprycel, my hematocrit and hemoglobin numbers started to rise and are now in the normal range. I continued to take Curcumin throughout. I would not associate taking Curcumin with improving my hematocrit or hemoglobin numbers. Stopping Sprycel did that for me. My RBC's are still below normal, but have been rising - getting very close to normal for the first time since I started this adventure.

The article above cites research done on mice. My wife, who does not have CML, has a solid CBC panel with red blood markers in solid middle of the scale normal. She also takes Curcumin as I do, although in a lower dose. There has been no affect on her CBC's. 

I'll PM you on what I take.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users