#1 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

My second PCR result since cessation came back barely detectable. According to my doctor at M.D. Anderson, he said as far as he is concerned the result is the same - just noise in the testing. He said I can continue off therapy for another month. Until a bona fide trend is established, I am fine to continue. My detected level is an order of magnitude below MMR. 

And so I remain TKI free - !! for another month. Another month of no drug, 

Lots of vitamin D in the Caribbean this past week. No wet suit this time.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

Good news, scuba!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

Great!
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

I asked Dr. Cortes what my odds look like based on his experience and he said that 40% are successful in stopping after two years PCRU which most of know from the STIM trials. He said 20% stay low positive with some intermittent negativity (comes and goes) and that is where he said I am. He said the rest just keep going up and up right from the start of their cessation.

I can stay off Sprycel as long as I stay where I am. He said I can go back on low dose Sprycel for "peace of mind". I use wine for peace of mind. I don't need Sprycel for that - so I'm good.

There is a fair chance I may be able to beat CML naturally. Low positive, no TKI, no disease for the rest of my life. He does suspect that over time if I stay this way, the LSC's may die out on there own (Trey's theory). If I go negative and stay there after a few years - that may be the end of the disease. CML could still re-start on its own, but the immune has regained control over the DNA. DNA repair is pretty amazing.

It is my opinion that CML - when not caught - runs away from the body and we die from it (blast crisis). TKI's have been a gift to catch it and with awareness - reverse and manage it. I have come to believe (80%) that our immune system can handle CML when CML is brought under control and our immune system is strengthened. Natural phytochemicals (veggies, Curcumin, etc.) have components that inhibit aberrant cell proliferation (NF-κB blockers). Add vitamin D to the mix and the immune system gets charged. I believe that is what I may have accomplished. I needed the Sprycel to get rid of the cancer load. And proper nutrition is helping me to keep what remains in check.

Trey and I disagree on this next point, but I believe most humans create CML cells. And most people have natural ability to destroy them (as with other cancer cells that undoubtedly develop from time to time). The blast cell formation is what kills. Vitamin D - causes blast cells to continue differentiation and subsequent cell death. Most people who have CML cells and don't know it probably never have symptoms so no need to test (like we do). 

With this thinking - I decided to stop taking the drug. And so far - very little is happening. And I feel great! Anemia is fading, my WBC's are normal for the first time.

What I am doing is not for everybody. You need a doctor who will work with you. Dr. Cortes is working with me. 

When Trey stops taking his Gleevec, he is 10 years PCRU - then you will all know we're on to something. Until then, practice safe TKI and follow the cessation journey's. More and more of us are leading TKI free lives.

(by the way - I developed a GREAT tan this past week. No TKI to interfere with melanin production as in the past. And I didn't burn much even though out in the sun on the water at noon for hours and no sun block. A starting high level of vitamin D is a natural defense against sun burn and skin damage.)

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#5 Terran

Terran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationClovis CA

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

I am rooting for you and your cessation.

#6 SUE

SUE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

Congratulations, Michael.  

Dx  April 2013, FISH 62,  BMB not enough for PCR test; put on Gleevec 400;

August 2013, FISH 8.7;

Oct 2013, FISH 5.6

Stopped Gleevec Nov 2013 for 6 weeks due to terrible side effects; Jan 2014 started Sprycel 50mg;

Feb, 2014 PCR  6.8

May,2014  PCR   .149

Aug, 2014 PCR    .015

Nov. 2014 PCRU

March, 2016  went down to 40mg Sprycel

Oct. 2016   stopped Sprycel for a couple weeks due to concern about shortness of breath.  Echo showed mild PAH.

Nov 1 2016  resumed Sprycel 20 mg daily 

Dec 2016  PCRU

March 2017  PCR 0.020

May 2017     PCRU

Sept  2017   PCRU

Dec    2017  PCRU

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Thanks - Terran and Sue. Getting close. Should know if this is going to stick in a few months.

#8 annmarieparisi

annmarieparisi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

That is wonderful news! Lets go Vitamin D!

#9 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

Always rootin' for ya scube!

xo,

Teds

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

Hi Scuba:  I think about you and everyone else quite often.  Been going through some rough times with other problems, and have not been able to get on here like I used to.  Sounds like your detemination and positive attitude is still there.  I do wish you the best as you go without your TKI.

You know me, I am still taking my 400mg of Gleevec.  I just wondered recently if I will be forced to stop it when I only have Medicare.  They certainly will not pay these prices. 

I will be PCRU 14 years in July, and been living with CML for 17 years this Dec.

I miss being involved here, and the closeness with all the friends I have made through the years.

I  have to try to get on here more often.

Love to All

#11 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

Susan,  I have sent you a few emails, I figured you were still working through your situations.  I am glad to see you here.  Please know you are always in my thoughts.

Pam

#12 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hi Susan,

I hope things get better for you, we all miss you, I hope Gary is doing well also.

Billie

#13 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hi Scuba:  I think about you and everyone else quite often.  Been going through some rough times with other problems, and have not been able to get on here like I used to.  Sounds like your detemination and positive attitude is still there.  I do wish you the best as you go without your TKI.

You know me, I am still taking my 400mg of Gleevec.  I just wondered recently if I will be forced to stop it when I only have Medicare.  They certainly will not pay these prices. 

I will be PCRU 14 years in July, and been living with CML for 17 years this Dec.

I miss being involved here, and the closeness with all the friends I have made through the years.

I  have to try to get on here more often.

Love to All

Hi Susan,

Great to hear from you again. 

You know, of course, I believe you are cured. 14 years without a single "blip" - and after taking Interferon first. You went PCRU straight away. You have met the two year requirement before stopping seven times over!

You might consider  lowering your dose to 200 mg per day the way Trey has done. Or just stop for one month and test. Your quality of life is what is important now and focus on the other things. CML is a thing of the past for you! What an inspiration you are to all of us!

#14 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

I am so fascinated by your results Scuba Michael....and the flexible direction and collaboration from your onc team....I'm considering moving my care to MDA...but have reservations...the driving distance being one of them.

Just good to know that someone is willing to test the boundaries of the routine protocol to discover or chart possible new treatment pathways. We all benefit from your experience.....works or doesn't. I wish we could also know what it was that caused these translocations in the first place....so we could remove that exposure from the mix and hold that factor constant....

For myself, I took a personal 3 week Sprycel holiday (to address other medical issues) and was pleased to experience life sans TKI..the biggest bonus of course was the restoration of normal energy levels. I was relieved that My levels immediately following this short hiatus were right at 0.10 . Back on the melds now...I am hopeful they will continue to decline....They have been skirting the 0.1 line for about 9 months now. My onc said he'd still like to see me on the 100 mg dose and says I should plan on taking these higher levels for at least four more years...I am so impatient, can't seem to help it.

Maybe one day TKIs will be both the treatment of choice and the cure...Thanks again.
Many good thoughts headed your way. D

#15 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

I am so fascinated by your results Scuba Michael....and the flexible direction and collaboration from your onc team....I'm considering moving my care to MDA...but have reservations...the driving distance being one of them.

Just good to know that someone is willing to test the boundaries of the routine protocol to discover or chart possible new treatment pathways. We all benefit from your experience.....works or doesn't. I wish we could also know what it was that caused these translocations in the first place....so we could remove that exposure from the mix and hold that factor constant....

For myself, I took a personal 3 week Sprycel holiday (to address other medical issues) and was pleased to experience life sans TKI..the biggest bonus of course was the restoration of normal energy levels. I was relieved that My levels immediately following this short hiatus were right at 0.10 . Back on the melds now...I am hopeful they will continue to decline....They have been skirting the 0.1 line for about 9 months now. My onc said he'd still like to see me on the 100 mg dose and says I should plan on taking these higher levels for at least four more years...I am so impatient, can't seem to help it.

Maybe one day TKIs will be both the treatment of choice and the cure...Thanks again.
Many good thoughts headed your way. D

Thanks Deb!

Translocations between chromosomes are very common - normal in fact. It's the nature of DNA and also why nature has many mechanisms in place to identify DNA breaks, repair them and/or cause the cells to die out. Most translocations are benign. When they do occur the cell cycle usually stops (forced senescence) and the cells die. But in some cases, onocgenes form. That is what happens when chromosome 9 and chromosome 22 translocate. They tend to translocate in a way that forms the oncogene bcr-abl. This is the culprit that codes proteins that turns on the Tyrosine Kinase pump and this TK production causes white cells to keep dividing and dividing and dividing - leading to disease we call CML. 

Ionizing radiation can easily cause 9;22 translocations. After the nuclear bombs in Japan, CML cases in the affected regions rose dramatically in the immediate aftermath of the detonations. Cat-scans also provide a significant dose of ionizing radiations to our bodies as well. And no doubt this can cause 9;22 translocations.

http://www.scientifi...se-risk-cancer/

Many Cat scan devices are not properly calibrated and in a later study many were shown to have unnecessarily high levels of radiation due to poor calibration practices.

It is my belief this is how I developed CML. About 5 years prior to diagnosis I had a series of cat-scans done (more than 5) on my hip area (the area that much of our blood is made). These scans were done in succession over a few months. I have no doubt, in my mind, this is what triggered my CML. I wish I had never had these cat scans (I could have avoided them, but didn't know.).

But, I also believe, that my immune system should have been able to detect the ionized induced translocation and take care of it. Many people have cat scans in the same area I had mine and do not develop CML. There is a reason for this no doubt.

Little known to me at the time, I was also very deficient in vitamin D (probably deficient for many many years prior to the cat scans) because I worked indoors, did not consume vitamin D fortified dairy and otherwise avoided the sun (or in wet suits when in the sun). So when the translocation occurred - I had little defense. My diet was also - how to say this - geared to the fun side. My weight was fine because I exercised a lot - but the calories I was consuming were fun calories not nutritious calories. I was depriving my body of the tools it needed to fix and repair damaged DNA. Little phytonutrients, little vitamin D, few veggies - I was a guy having fun in my youth. I still have fun - just not in dark places anymore.

We are exposed to ionizing radiation often in our daily lives (as well as chemicals that are carcinogenic). This is why vitamin D is manufactured by our skin. It is also interesting to note that vitamin D synthesis decreases as our skin darkens (melanin/tanning). Our skin is most vulnerable to DNA damage prior to darkening. This damage no doubt creates cancer cells. The ramped up vitamin D production is used by the cells to repair the damage, cause new cancer cells to die and otherwise restore the body. Vitamin is natures response to radiation damage. I found that interesting.

This is the theory I am now testing. For whatever reason - it is likely the radiation I received from cat scans - caused my bone marrow to create the 9;22 Philadelphia chromosome. My body was unable to deal with it because of a vitamin D deprived immune system. CML was able to expand and grow unchecked for years. Finally - I felt it in May 2010 when I had to see a doctor for the symptoms. I had borderline accelerated blasts, my bone marrow was a mess, I was dying for sure. And my wife cried like I never have seen her. I started on a TKI and was able to recover. It is my belief that the TKI's were the club necessary to get the CML population back in control. Thank God for TKI's. TKI's are able to beat back CML to very low levels - like when CML was first created. Back to a level where - if the body had the tools - the body could do the job. That is my theory: we don't necessarily need to eradicate CML to control it naturally - we just need to get it beaten down sufficiently well that the body (with the tools) can take over.

I take lots of Curcumin based on the evidence that Curcumin is a cancer inhibitor. Not a cure - just a road block to the cancer expansion. Curcumin, I believe bought me time and also enabled me to need less TKI drug to achieve a great response.  I avoided much of the side affects we read about in this forum. I continue to take Curcumin. And then i learned about vitamin D's role in the immune system - precisley in the part of our biology involving cancer cells, DNA repair and apoptosis - and translocation repair. When I discovered my vitamin D levels were near Rickets territory, I decided to supplement. I started to increase my vitamin D level to high therapeutic levels. It's tricky - but I test regularly now to keep it in that high normal zone. Not - normal normal - but HIGH normal - I seek to keep it around 70-80 ng/ml. I want my vitamin D receptors filled with vitamin D so my NK and T-cells can go after CML cells wherever they find them. I believe that by getting CML way down through the use of Sprycel - and getting my body's defenses way up - I can eradicate the disease naturally down the road. Nature needed help with the TKI to reduce tumor burden (otherwise my body is overwhelmed). Once reduced and with proper nutrition, I can restore and undo the ionizing damage done to me by the cat scans. This is my current thinking. 

So far, I have been TKI free since February. My PCR levels are borderline "undetected" (no change statistically). In a few weeks I will go for another PCR and if this one is also no change - I will resume a 3 month PCR program sans TKI. If I can get to a year with no change, I will move to a six month PCR testing schedule. And if I can get to 5 years with no change. I will consider myself cured and end PCR testing.

Perhaps in this time frame, they will create a cure that eliminates the bcr-abl stem cell and create an immediate "cure". But for now, I have this theory and I need to check it out. If it doesn't work out - then I go back on Sprycel (low dose) and will conclude that other forces are at work to keep CML around. At least we have our TKI's. They are a blessing. I get to experiment because I can fall back on Sprycel if my experiment doesn't work.

I am determined to become TKI free permanently. I will not give up.

#16 Jamie2015

Jamie2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

Scuba do you visit doctor Cortes in Houston? Or is there another one?

I live in Houston and I saw he was a well renowned doctor in the area and have been thinking about making a visiting to him.

#17 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

Scuba do you visit doctor Cortes in Houston? Or is there another one?

I live in Houston and I saw he was a well renowned doctor in the area and have been thinking about making a visiting to him.

Dr. Cortes is my Oncologist at M.D. Anderson. He does research in the various TKI's as well as participate in reviewing and writing the NCCN guidelines for CML treatment. He is a kind soul - and quite confident in his knowledge, approach and willingness to bend the rules to fit individual cases. He does not require you to visit him personally (except initially of course) once you are on his program. All of my consultations with him are via email. I haven't physically seen him in several years. But I do visit his lab for the blood draws and tests. He does not like using labs other than M.D. Anderson. He will require a new baseline lab set from which to recommend treatment. And that probably includes bone marrow. Perhaps he makes exceptions, but did not in my case. It was if I was starting over when I first met him.

The staff at M.D. Anderson are terrific, and most important to me, fast. The place is a factory. And that means they have a lot of experience with the toughest of CML cases. In Dr. Cortes' mind, I am just routine. Nothing to write in the journals about - except - and until I beat CML naturally (no TKI with only a few months PCRU behind me). He's curious about that. 

#18 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

So I am a "down winder" baby from SE Washington state. Born the last year of indiscriminate releases of ionizing radiation into the environment. I was not selected to go thru the downwinders study mandated by the DOH/EPA. My healthy brother was but did not receive any report of results. I also have had several CT scans for serious gut issues, but I did know that there is a significantly higher rate of cancer if you get CTs. Took the risk due to pain but after about the 4th one declined and asked to be treated based on symptoms. My doc agreed.

I will try to find out info from the downwinder study if there was higher incidence of blood cancers as a result of the Hanford releases/indifference/incompetence.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users