About NCBI Accesskeys
Sign in to NCBI
PubMed
US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
Search databaseSearch termSearch
AdvancedHelp
Result Filters
AbstractSend to:
Ann Rheum Dis. 2014 Jan 6. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2013-203954. [Epub ahead of print]
Glucosamine and chondroitin for knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial evaluating single and combination regimens.
Fransen M1, Agaliotis M, Nairn L, Votrubec M, Bridgett L, Su S, Jan S, March L, Edmonds J, Norton R, Woodward M, Day R; on behalf of the LEGS study collaborative group.
Collaborators (34)
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To determine if the dietary supplements, glucosamine and/or chondroitin, result in reduced joint space narrowing (JSN) and pain among people with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis.
METHODS:
A double-blind randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial with 2-year follow-up. 605 participants, aged 45-75 years, reporting chronic knee pain and with evidence of medial tibio-femoral compartment narrowing (but retaining >2 mm medial joint space width) were randomised to once daily: glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg (n=152), chondroitin sulfate 800 mg (n=151), both dietary supplements (n=151) or matching placebo capsules (n=151). JSN (mm) over 2 years was measured from digitised knee radiographs. Maximum knee pain (0-10) was self-reported in a participant diary for 7 days every 2 months over 1 year.
RESULTS:
After adjusting for factors associated with structural disease progression (gender, body mass index (BMI), baseline structural disease severity and Heberden's nodes), allocation to the dietary supplement combination (glucosamine-chondroitin) resulted in a statistically significant (p=0.046) reduction of 2-year JSN compared to placebo: mean difference 0.10 mm (95% CI 0.002 mm to 0.20 mm); no significant structural effect for the single treatment allocations was detected. All four allocation groups demonstrated reduced knee pain over the
first year, but no significant between-group differences (p=0.93) were detected. 34 (6%) participants reported possibly-related adverse medical events over the 2-year follow-up period.
CONCLUSIONS:
Allocation to the glucosamine-chondroitin combination resulted in a statistically significant reduction in JSN at 2 years. While all allocation groups demonstrated reduced knee pain over the study period, none of the treatment allocation groups demonstrated significant symptomatic benefit above placebo.
TRIAL REGISTRATION CLINICALTRIALS.GOV IDENTIFIER::
NCT00513422; http://www.clinicaltrials.gov.
KEYWORDS:
chondroitin; disease progression; glucosamine; osteoarthritis knee; pain
PMID: 24395557 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
LinkOut - more resources
PubMed Commons home
PubMed Commons
0 comments
MY QUESTION: GROUP--This NIH article shows some improvement in Osteoarthritis using this drug combination, but do any of you with CML experience any side effects using them, either in symptoms, or in Lab changes? Thanks, Frank
How to join PubMed Commons
Supplemental Content
Full text links
Icon for

#2 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

Sorry for the additional irrelevant verbiage! Frank

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Your question is buried:

"This NIH article shows some improvement in Osteoarthritis using this drug combination, but do any of you with CML experience any side effects using them, either in symptoms, or in Lab changes?"

I would take them several hours apart from the TKI drug just to be sure there is no binding issue.  Otherwise I would not expect any cross interference or side effects. 

By the way, you can edit crapola out of your post after it is posted by using the edit feature at the bottom of the post.  Only the writer can edit a post.

#4 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

I got to the part about the mouse genome and had to stop reading.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#5 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

I was already taking glucosamine before CML, helped with my knee. I continued to take it after, just moved it to the other end of the day from when I took the Gleevec.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users